Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Indead
rank 2
Posted:
Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:34 pm
quote : #16
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
I hosted a server recently, Indead, would you be able to check the logs and see if my server made it through?

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:42 pm
quote : #17
Yes, I just checked the logs and your server "Indead" was indead listed in the master list. So its working. Wink
rank 1
Posted:
Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:52 pm
quote : #18
Type: NTSC-U
I just hosted a game on Monday February 16th named MEOW. Did it show up on the logs?

Posted Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:16 am:

Yes/no? Sorry I am dying to know, haha

HollowCoyote
rank 1
Posted:
Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:06 pm
quote : #19
I feel like such a newb, I hit new post twice, and wasted 2 threads, i'm sorry. please delete them.

And PLEASE HELP. Arrow

HollowCoyote wrote:
I put the new server dns number, Am not sure if anyone can see my server im going to leave it up today and tommarow, can somebody please tell me if you can see it/ join it.

Sever name: TRIBES~GoD~PS3

If your busy on the ps3, please send me invite and tell me there if you want.

my ps3 name: THE_DEVILS_HAND

I thank you for your time.

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:50 pm
quote : #20
I will check the server machine as soon as I can. What I think I might do is run a TAA dedicated server on the machine, password locked, so nobody can access it, and merely name the server "UR CONNECTED". So that people know they can reach and see the master list.
rank 3
Posted:
Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:37 am
quote : #21
I can recode the master list server to always include a static entry if you think that would be better (less server resources needed that way).

HollowCoyote
rank 1
Posted:
Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:34 pm
quote : #22
That would be cool, I could always see the dedicated servers and CD severs, when they were up. But somtimes people couldn't see mine. Wich was never a problem, I mostly played in dedicated servers. I tried having my dad, and brother connect, i can't see thier server and they can't see mine. If you gimme a time or somthing, I will put a server up to see if you see it. I must figure this out, tribes is still my favorite I thank you for your time, you do a great service for gamers!

Posted Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:00 pm:

I have one up now, I'll keep it up till this time tommarow if that helps any, in helping me. lol. thank you, again. server name THE-DEVILS-HAND
Posted:
Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:36 pm
quote : #23
HollowCoyote, I logged into the server, and it shows you are indeed listed in the Master List. So you are connecting just fine.

Also, it is advised that you do not use the AADS software to run dedicated TAA servers. The software has a bug which cropped up after recent windows updates. AADS now lags like crazy and is near impossible to play on.

Also, due to the smaller community, we play with bots. So running it from the CD and your PS2 is advised.
rank 1
Posted:
Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:33 pm
quote : #24
Thank you very much!
Posted:
Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:54 pm
quote : #25
So it was a windows update that caused the bug in the AADS?
What if I re-install XP and dont update and just keep it SP1...could I run a dedicated AADS?
I can run a AADS server with more than 16 slots. I can run one with 99 slots if I wanted.
I can bring back the 32 AADS if it is really just a windows update that causes that horrible lag.

Gforce
rank 27
Posted:
Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:16 pm
quote : #26
kennethffx2 wrote:
What if I re-install XP and dont update and just keep it SP1...could I run a dedicated AADS?
I can run a AADS server with more than 16 slots. I can run one with 99 slots if I wanted.
I can bring back the 32 AADS if it is really just a windows update that causes that horrible lag.

Damn. You're willing to go through all that?
Posted:
Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:09 am
quote : #27
kennethffx2 wrote:

I have not personally tested this yet myself. It could work. All I know is that at somepoint, the AADS software went kablooey and is now suffering from massive lag problems on windows platforms. Running it on a bare XP install could fix this. Also I have not tested running it in WINE via Linux as well.

I personally havn't been all that interested in AADS in a long time. With the current state of Tribes, PS2 hosted games give a much more gratifying online experience. Tribes is meant to be a large wide open terrain multiplayer game, with lots of active players. AADS does not support bots. This is a huge problem.

Anytime I we play Tribes online, it is a scheduled match, or one thrown together at the last minute on a weekend by people on Jabber. It tends to not exceed an active Human player count of 6 players. So we need some bots to fill in the ranks.

There is no point in running a 32 player AADS server. There is no way that will ever fill up again. I have never seen that many players in a post-moredom situation on any platform that OC covers. On PSO maybe we had 12 simulatneous players at once. This is just the nature of online console gaming. On the PC it is very different because piracy, and backwards compatibility makes it so that as people upgrade hardware and software they can usually jump back into older games on a whim very easily. With consoles, people move on to other hardware.

The main contingent of older Tribes players are simply not motivated to keep playing Tribes. Maintaining an active Tribes Community is not in their interest. Most people want a ready made active list of servers waiting for them. They don't want to be greeted with an empty master list. People tend to sit there, see nobody else is playing and then leave! In reality there are probobly anywhere from 3-5 other players staring at the master list doing the same exact thing! If only someone would join a server and idle or message others to schedule a match. This is too much effort for most people. When TribesAA dropped in activity, instead of rallying support for the game, people simply moved on to other online games and other consoles.

After running this site for 6 years these are the patterns I have seen. Most of the people you will run into these days are PS2 online fanatics like us that really enjoy getting into the nitty gritty of what the PS2 has to offer for online. Everyone is on different schedules with regional locations and work and whatnot. So usually out of say 20 serious devoted players, only a small segment of that can meet up on any given day and time to play. For this, we really need bots to recapture the full tribes experience. Playing 2 on 2 CTF with no bots simply isn't fullfilling, and those new changes made on recent AADS builds with the auto-regen base assets actually broke the gameplay turning it into a flagrun-freeforall.

If only Ricochet could find a way to get bots running on the AADS server, and fix the current windows bugs, I would start hosting AADS servers again. However Ricochet seems to require massive old-guard TAA interest from the gamerplug/tribesaa.com days to contribute anything new. Smaller more serious pockets of online players don't seem to motivate him enough.
rank 2
Posted:
Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:01 pm
quote : #28
I understand everything you are saying.
I just miss the old days when I could wake up, turn on my PS2, load up TAA and query the master list and be greeted with 10 - 16 servers up with people in all of them.
I remember trying to decide which one I wanted to join! That would never happen again. Eh..
Me and my local friend Stefan still love playing this game split-screen with eachother. We still setup little sentry turrets and remote sensors to make a little track to have a few Grave races. Did you ever Grave race? If so, did you ever have those players who
would put a sachel charge on the back of your Grave Cycle right before the race and then detonate in the middle of the race? lol, that was funny the first few times...but jeez. lol

DFBelow
rank 2
Posted:
Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:01 pm
quote : #29
Hey!

I tried connecting to your new master server, but failed. I did not see any servers running, so how do i know if im connected? Also why do AADS servers not show up? That's not cool, my clan wants to be able to play whenever.

Thanks for your help!

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:29 am
quote : #30
DFBelow wrote:
Hey!

I tried connecting to your new master server, but failed. I did not see any servers running, so how do i know if im connected? Also why do AADS servers not show up? That's not cool, my clan wants to be able to play whenever.

Thanks for your help!

To find out if you are properly connected, find someone to play with and try playing with them. As for AADS and being able to play "whenever" that power is entirely in your hands. Contact your friends, setup a time to play, and host a game. If you have a clan then you should have no problem getting them together to play.

OC does not host any AADS servers because there is a known software bug that cropped up recently which makes the AADS software lag so much that it cripples the gameplay and eventually drops everyone from the match. It is a problem on certain Windows systems that we cannot pinpoint. Also since the AADS server does not allow for bots, we host from PS2 consoles instead.

TAA players getting back into Tribes need to realize that the old way of playing using AADS is no longer valid. Putting up a hosted AADS server in an empty list expecting 16 people to just join up is not going to happen. You are not going to reach the Tribes master list and just randomly stumble upon an active thriving game because not enough people are playing, and nobody realizes they have to actually join and idle to attract other players. Players randomly hopping onto Tribes (or any other game for that matter) will reach the master list, see zero people, and then power off their PS2. The silly part is there are probobly a few other people at that very moment doing the exact same thing.

This problem is systemic to all online games. Every online game reaches a point where you can no longer go online to find full bustling servers of players waiting for you where all you have to do is join, and no further effort is needed on your part. At this point one needs to completly rethink the way they play online games, which is part of what this website (OnlineConsoles) is all about. You need to communicate with other players directly and setup matches in advance. More often than not you will only be able to muster up maybe 4 or 5 players to get into a TribesAA match. Remember Tribes has large wide open expansive maps. 5 players in CTF in a barren AADS server is simply not enough to play the game to its full potential. Maybe a small DM game would work, or some dueling, but to play CTF or CNH you need more participants. This is why bots in the current online environment are so crucial. Sprinkling in 5 or so bots can make all the difference in the world.