Page Location: Home > Playstation 2 Lounge > Topic
lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:02 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
I recently read some references to this and was quite startled to learn that supposedly DVD9 games have compatibility problems with Fat Model (older) Playstation 2 consoles. I even read that there is content on Rogue Galaxy that will not render on a fat model PS2. Though I can't find any info to back this up. Mad

However I wasn't able to find any concrete proof. I figured I would bring it up for discussion here to try and pool our resources together to come up with some information. Is there any validity or evidence you have found that shows signs of compatiblity problems between DVD9 aka Dual Layer PS2 DVD's, and the older model PS2 Consoles?

(P.S. - If you pirate PS2 games please stay out of this thread. Thanks!)
rank 24
Posted:
Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:18 am
quote : #2
i have the fat ps2, how can u tell if a game is dvd 9?
Posted:
Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:38 am
quote : #3
Other than older PS2s with lens issues having trouble reading data on dual layer DVDs (the second layer is difficult for a dying lens to read, and dual layer games usually have a lot of data there for anti-piracy reasons... I have an older PS2 that is on it's way out that refuses to read Gran Turismo 4 more often than not as an example), I haven't heard anything about dual layer games causing trouble specifically on fat PS2s.

I think the easiest way to spot the difference between DVD-5 and DVD-9 (other than checking online) is DVD-9 games generally have a gold tint to the plastic on the data side, whereas DVD-5 games are usually silver.

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:16 am
quote : #4
Would using a DVD-9 on any model PS2 put undue stress on the console thus gradually decreasing the lifespan of the laser? I have been using the same primary Fat PS2 now for almost 6 years without any problems. I do own and have played some DVD-9 games on the system.
rank 24
Posted:
Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:30 pm
quote : #5
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_2_DVD-9_games

just found that list of dvd 9 ps2 games, i have had my fat ps2 since like 2002 and have played a bunch of dvd9 disks on it with no problems

I thought b4 that games that were blue on the data side were the dual layer disks b4, but apparently not. I played god of war like last month which is a dual layer disc and it played perfectly still.
Posted:
Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:32 am
quote : #6
Blue colored discs are games pressed onto CD-ROM. I don't have the data on me, but later on in the PS2's life there were a number of games and demo cds that were released on DVD-ROM even though they were less than 700MB. Even though a DVD was more expsensive to press than a CD-ROM, the large amount of PS2 systems "in the wild" that were unable to read CDs due to a dying lens assembly meant that it would be worth sacrificing the extra money paid to ensure higher compatibility.

lordnikon wrote:
Would using a DVD-9 on any model PS2 put undue stress on the console thus gradually decreasing the lifespan of the laser? I have been using the same primary Fat PS2 now for almost 6 years without any problems. I do own and have played some DVD-9 games on the system.

Back when I was repairing PS2s, I would come across lenses from time to time that would read DVD-5 and CD-ROM games fine, but would not pick up on dual layer discs, neither PS2 games or dual layer DVD movies. This would lead me to assume that having to "read through" the first layer of data to pick up on the second layer would be more work for the lens, but I don't know how much more power this takes or what effect it has on the PS2's lifespan compared to a single layer disc. If your system has been running for six years without any serious issues, you'll probably be fine with DVD-9 games. You're the kind of gamer who takes care of his stuff, keeps it clean and well ventilated etc, so that helps out a lot.

On a side note, the time when this caused the most trouble was when Gran Turismo 4 launched. The company I worked for decided that we were going to break the street date (mainly because we wanted to play it), so instead of waiting for our shipment to get to us, the stiore managers of two other stores, my own, and myself made arrangements and drove down to the airport and picked them up from UPS as soon as they came off of the plane. Barring reviewers, I was the first person in the state of Idaho to purchase and play GT4. I've sinced moved to Oregon, but I will still xLink GT4 with my old manager every so often. The GT4 launch was pretty momentous for us.

Anyway, there were quite a few people with dying 3001s that coupld play most if not all single layer games, but couldn't play GT4, I think I made the entirety of my rent payment that month with money made repairing people's systems.

But, to get back on topic, I'm always making the blanket reccomendation that anyone who is able (a fat PS2 and a few bucks to spare) should pick up a hard drive and a means of playing their games from it, since the best amount of stress to put on your lens is none at all. Depending on which software you use to boot games from a hard drive, you might have to do a little extra work to install a dual layer game though.