Page Location: Home > Support > Getting Online > Topic
crudworks
rank 2
Posted:
Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:42 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: PAL
Hello I've been trouble shooting with Lazybum and Mytho for quite some time to get Xlink to allow me to play online.

I currently use a Belkin FSD7231-4 wireless router wired to the Ps2 and PC.
The PC is XP with Mcaffe Security Center running.
And the Internet Service Provider (ISP) is NTL (Now: Virgin Media).

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks

CrudWorks.

jjc5150
rank 4
Posted:
Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:06 pm
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U
HI, saw your post and just wanted to comment. While im not an expert, or nor one of the more technical guys on the site, I can tell you this - I had the same problem for quite sometime, using a similar model belkin router. No matter what I did I COULD NOT get xlink to work. I mean I tried everything, opening ports, dmz-ing, you name it. Unfortunately, with my experience I can say that i think the problem is most likely your router is not compatable with xlink, as it was in my case as well.

Posted Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:49 pm:

if you want - im me on jabber and i can try to help you out. The only thing I can think of is this : Make sure your router firmware is up to date - check it on belkin.com, and update it if necessary.
crudworks
rank 2
Posted:
Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:34 pm
quote : #3
Thanks for your theory.

I've just got my internet working again after the router blocked everything out, so looking through all the such I might be able to figure something out.

Posted Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:18 am:

Problem Solved Yay! Smile

Ended up resetting the Router to Factory defaults after it locked everything out.

The PS2 internet settings were set to AUTO

the router Ports 30,000 were opened in Mcaffee and the router, PS2 was put in the DMZ

Kai ports were both set to 30,000

Cheers to jjc5150 for trying to help along with Lazybum, Mytho and Nonotthat

Posted Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:46 am:

STILL NOT WORKING!!!

Ok this is quite strange, I managed to play one game and connect twice through Xlink.

But upon starting up my PS2 to play another game I can't connect using the same settings as above

Xlink constanly says "establishing link" which was the origenal problem I had.

Once again I am pleading for help with the only offer I can give, appreciation.

jjc5150
rank 4
Posted:
Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:41 am
quote : #4
Type: NTSC-U
like I said before, check the firmware for your router (if you havent already) - it may be the problem:

http://www.belkin.com/support/article/?lid=en&pid=F5D7231-4&aid=6090&scid=221
crudworks
rank 2
Posted:
Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:02 am
quote : #5
Thank you jjc5150

I've tried looking for a firmware update before but my router is Version: 1100 which isn't listed

Posted Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:11 am:

Never mind, was just the label on the router saying that it had version:1100 installed on it. Embarassed

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:26 am
quote : #6
Type: NTSC-U/C
Have you gone over our XLINK setup guide yet? If others have been assisting you I am sure you have read it already, but I figured I would post it anyway.

http://playstation2.onlineconsoles.com/phpBB2/guides_getonline.php#6

Also did you make sure to see if Windows FireWall is disabled on your computer? Also, did you try and disable any other anti-virus software, such as McAffeed that could be placing port blocks on your PC?
rank 19
Posted:
Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:28 am
quote : #7
I can rule out Virgin as being the problem as I have connected using Virgin with no problems. I was using the Antivirus software that Virgin provide free to users which is PC guard. You can download that for free from thier website if you are a customer. One problem with that is as far as I can tell PC guard sucks! Its never detected a virus for me and I always end up with crap on my PC. I removed it from my PC and laptop now and replaced with the free software called Avast. Once I have all my consoles set back up I'll be trying to connect using Virgin and avast so will report how I get on.

Laters
Posted:
Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:14 pm
quote : #8
Hello,
BTW I'm not dead, just been busy over the past week.

I will look into the firewall settings to see if its the problem.

Posted Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:31 am:

Solved!

Just writing downs the steps I took as this was a very difficult to solve and hopefully this will help others.

Steps I Took:

1. Created an Automatic Network Setting with the PS2 network disk
2a. Loaded up a game and attempted to connect to a LAN game
2b. In the router settings I looked in the DHCP list and refreshed it until I could see the PS"'s MAC adress and IP
3. I entered the PS2's IP into the DMZ
4. Set port forwarding in the router

*5. Allowing internet acces to Xlink
Mcafee Security centre by Default allows internet acess by Xlink but this is only Inbound.
i. Opened Mcaffe security center and changed the view to Advanced Settings
ii. Under advanced settings click on Configure and a list should appear on the left
iii. Click on Internet & Network in the list and then click on the Advanced button Under Firewall
iv. A new window should have opened, click on Program Permissions in the list on the left
v. Somewhere in that list should be the Xlink UI and Engine click on one of them
vi. The Action Box at the bottom of the window should now be activated
vii. Click on Allow Acess, the Program should have Full Access next to it
viii. Repeat steps v to vii for the other program
ix. In the list (left hand side) select System Services
x. Click Add at the bottom of the window
xi. Type in A suitable name for this service E.G. Xlink
xii. A couple of boxes below there should be one called Local TCP/IP Ports and below that Local UDP Ports
xiii. Enter 30000 For your Kai Port
xiv. The Radial buttons below by Default should have Trusted, Standard and Public selected
xv. Tick the ICS box if need be
xvi. Click OK

*Step 5 might also work with any other Security Center

And you're Done If you have any online contacts, Instead of their Status saying Establishing all the time, it should come up with Ping

To test if it is working load up a game that has atleast one member using The Automatic Network Setting created earlier

Hopefully this solves anyone elses problems Smile

Posted Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:24 am:

Why does this keep happening to me? Evil or Very Mad
It's just not fair! Sad

I can get Xlink to load up a game but as soon as the whole thing disconnects I'm back to square 0

I really am begining to lose all hope with this program its just silly how others get it working first time plug and play.

The Problem:
Under most user tags it says establishing link
The big problem is looking at all the settings are correct Shocked

Please I really want help! Laughing