Page Location: Home > Support > LAN Tunneling > Topic
Dark Cookies
rank 4
Posted:
Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:34 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: PAL
I am have been posting my problem in Xlink Forum and no one seem to answer my question. I know I have posted in the right forum but no one bother to answer. The reason I decided to post in this forum because I knew most of the community (which I mean this community) can get their PS2 working with xlink and allow to play online. I have follow the "Excellent PS2 *Manual* Setup Guide" carefully and it still not working. So question time!

First time here what I got:

CAT-6 Ethernet Cables
PS2 Slim
Wireless Router
Wireless USB Adapter
A good computer

The guide said that I need a CAT-5 but I only got a CAT-6. Will CAT-6 work or do I need to buy CAT-5?

Here how I do it:
I connect my PS2 to the wireless router by using the CAT-6. Next I disable some stuff the guide told me to and I did it. Now I login in xlink and check the stat. The result is positive in my first attempt (but the second attempt were not that successful) but xlink couldn't detected my PS2. So what did I do wrong?

Here my other question:
Am I doing it right?

For those who got theres working.
How do you get yours working? How do you do it? What method do you used/follow?

I really need help. I follow the quick guide but still fail. I am not good at computer (but know the basic) just a noob. Please can you help me to get my PS2 detect on xlink and able to play it with other people. Thanks!

Smile

mjgaming
rank 1
Posted:
Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:55 pm
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U
I think if you are going to attach the Playstation 2 directly to the computer you will need a Ethernet Crossover Cable. I don't know if this helps or not.
rank 24
Posted:
Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:59 pm
quote : #3
Type: NTSC-U/C
I do not know much about using xlink to work with wireless internet. You should make sure you are using version 7.3.1.7 of xlink. It is found on the home page, just scroll down. Newer versions do not work with ps2 at all.

http://www.teamxlink.co.uk/
Posted:
Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:44 am
quote : #4
Type: NTSC-U
HI - most likely this is the problem, I had the same issue a while back. First follow the guide here :

http://playstation2.onlineconsoles.com/phpBB2/guides_getonline.php#6

make sure you configure your network settings on your ps2 100% to the way it says in the guide. Then make sure your firewall settings are off on your pc, and either configured properly or turned off on your router.

as far as the cable question - cat 5 and 6 are different cables "theoretically" - but for what we're using them for, they're basically the same and should work just fine.

what kind of router is it?
gary_b
rank 8
Posted:
Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:23 am
quote : #5
he ran into the same issue that i did last night. his problem is that the xlink configuration menu doesn't work with his wireless card. in the field where you tell xlink what network adapter to use to connect to the internet, you wont find the wireless adapter listed. in the end i was able to bridge my wireless and my intel Ethernet adapter to get xlink to see my ps2. this didn't work very well though, i had a bad ping and couldn't tunnel any games. i should note that i tried the auto connect and lock option as well as the auto and don't lock option. both of those options didn't work.

to solve the problem you will need to get both your PS2 and your PC hooked up using cat 5 cables. unless anyone knows how to get xlink to see wireless cards?

edit, i found out how to get my wireless card to show up. i still need to test it with someone though. in the kai configuration you have to check the box that says (show dangerous NICs) then the adapter will be in the list.

Last edited by gary_b on Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:47 am; edited 2 times in total

lazybum
rank 24
Posted:
Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:29 am
quote : #6
*gulp* this is not making me feel any better about now being stuck on wireless internet for 6 months. I will probably not to get to mess with xlink for a week or so but hope I dont run into these problems.
Posted:
Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:05 am
quote : #7
after another day of experimenting and researching i gave in and ordered another cat5. i found that in order to use my wireless card i had to bridge it with my PC's ether net. also the NIC had to be in promiscuous mode and it had to be promiscuous mode compatible. i tried to force it by using the command prompt and some instructions from M$, but that didn't work.

i was able to get kai to recognize my PS2. i even saw the hosted game in the tribes master list. for some reason i could not enter though. when i tried to host no one could see my game? oh well maybe someone else can figure it out. one more small note, i seen on one of the xlink guides that version 7.0.5.9 had better wireless support. i don't know why this was removed from the newer build? so if you can find that older version you may have more luck.

Dark Cookies
rank 4
Posted:
Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:44 am
quote : #8
First of all thanks for all the users for replying, your information have been very useful sadly there still no success getting mine PS2 detected. (sorry it took so long for me to reply back Sad , being busy doing school work, haven't have time visiting the forum).
Secondly instead of using a wireless router I now connect my computer to an internet broadband using the normal blue Ethernet. Now I no longer used any wireless router.
Information:
The broadband have 2 ports which allow the Ethernet to connect to my PC (so I can go online) and another port (which I believe) when connected to my PS2 (using the CAT6) would be detected by xlink. At the moment I haven't had time to test this out. Have anyone used this method before and found it successfully.

PC-<-->Broadband<--->PS2 hopefully xlink can detected my PS2 with this method.

Help is still needed
Posted:
Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:19 am
quote : #9
Dark Cookies wrote:

The broadband have 2 ports which allow the Ethernet to connect to my PC (so I can go online) and another port (which I believe) when connected to my PS2 (using the CAT6) would be detected by xlink. At the moment I haven't had time to test this out. Have anyone used this method before and found it successfully.
i am not sure exactly what you have. but if i understand you correctly you can connect both the PC and the PS2 to the internet at the same time? how ever you are not using a router? i think xlink needs some kind of router to work properly. the router allows you to forward the ports and such. there may be another way to do it with out a router if you have 2 ethernet cards in your PC, but i am not sure.

Dark Cookies
rank 4
Posted:
Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:48 am
quote : #10
gary_b wrote:
Dark Cookies wrote:

i am not sure exactly what you have. but if i understand you correctly you can connect both the PC and the PS2 to the internet at the same time? how ever you are not using a router? i think xlink needs some kind of router to work properly. the router allows you to forward the ports and such. there may be another way to do it with out a router if you have 2 ethernet cards in your PC, but i am not sure.

While…this method doesn’t work (silly me XD a router is needed). The instruction said a router is needed, but I am not certain if a wireless router would work. I have tried connecting my PS2 to my wireless router but Xlink couldn't detected it. The wireless got 5 ports (I think it was call a port Razz) to plus in Ethernet. The first port was for internet and the rest is called Lan 1, Lan 2 etc. I usually plus in two Ethernet to Lan 1 and Lan 2. One to the computer so I my brother can go online and another to my PS2 so I can play online Very Happy (Unfortunately it will lag when playing online with the PS2 when my brother is using the computer). Here my setting up when I am trying to xlink working:

Internet-->Broadband-->Wireless Router-->Computer Running Xlink
|
|
PS2

Hope people can point out what I have done wrong. Thanks