Previous  1, 2
lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Tue May 24, 2016 9:29 am
quote : #16
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
I have been bouncing around between games, and also reading up on reviews on GameFAQs. It is stated that these games are all the same. However upon further inspection there are some huge differences between the games that differentiate them in ways that might make or break the experience depending on the player.

At the moment, I am feeling that Dynasty Warriors 4 Empires is one of the greatest games in the series. The voice acting is superb in this game, and really takes a dive in DW5. The solid voice acting in 4E makes you file like you have a game of high technical quality.

Another thing I observed is in 4 Empires, when you take an enemy stronghold, you have to take out every last soldier. This is great! In later games they allow you to just take out the Base Captain and then all the other soldiers run away, which I do not like at all. 4 Empires also respawns enemy Generals again and again until you take them out in a duel. This is what made 4 Empires for me. You constantly were up against waves of enemy troops due to this mechanic. I hope this is retained in DW5E and SW2E? I have yet to confirm.

I have been playing Samurai Warriors some again, and while I had played through numerious campaigns in it before, I saw the game differently this time around. The game tries to set itself apart from the DW franchise by constantly interrupting you with mission objectives. It is hard to focus on the combat because you keep having to flee from going on the offensive to just running around the map to prevent catastrophe. The worst is when the enemy General just up and leaves the map. "You better go take out these cannons... OH TO LATE!" *General Leaves* This is beyond frustrating and it makes you feel rushed. Also, the castle stages while repetative, are rather difficult depending on how you go into them. Some hate these stages, but the later castle stages can prove to be extremly hard due to the complete lack of health items, and if you have not upgraded your weapon with elements like Ice. I actually like the difficulty. So even though I keep dieing over and over again, the challenge has been rewarding here.

I will say, I absolutly love the visual aesthetic of Samurai Warriors 1. It has a darker tone, and many of the maps are overcast and at night. Its a grittier game. From the media I have seen, Samurai Warriors 2 and beyond are not like this. So even though Samurai Warriors has some serious gameplay flaws, I give it but of a pass, due to a visual look that isn't seen in other warriors titles.
rank 59
Posted:
Sun May 29, 2016 9:24 pm
quote : #17
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
Early findings on DW5E:

-- NEGATIVES: ---------------------------------------------------

• UI - The map is fuzzy/blurry.
  • UI - It is very unclear which areas you can invade from the map. A brightly lit center square on each region is supposed to indicate this. However its hard to differntiate between dim and bright squares.
  • UI - It is unclear why you cannot invade certain territories even though you are directly adjacent to them. Supposedly land barriers are at play, but you cannot see them as the map is just a flat grid.
  • Gameplay - The first match I played health pickups were very scarce.
  • Gameplay - Crates and jars hold no items.
  • Gameplay - The base captains seem to wander outside of the base and in odd locations making it hard to tell when you have conquered the base. Far too much confusion.
  • Gameplay - While enemies do respawn, they get captured far too easily taking generals out of the game in nearly every battle. This breaks the flow of the game.
  • Gameplay - Enemy Officers frequently run away. While they did this in Dynasty Warriors 4 Empires, you sort of knew when they would try and do that. In 5E, its unpredictable and their movement is very erratic.
  • Gameplay - Enemy Troops all leave when an officer is taken out. This sucks because taking out officers is important, but you also want to attack hordes of enemies.
  • Gameplay - It is unclear why so many troops get depleated in battle. Even when winning, my own chars troops are vastly cut in Victory. 4000 cut down to 1290. Is it based on Damage Taken?
  • Gameplay - Archers are a complete non-factor in the game. I don't even know why I would need to equip nanman armor if I were to have a region produce it.
  • Gameplay - Issuing a command for your troops to advance forward, ends up allowing an enemy general to slip past them and take over my camps. Because that group is ignoring defense and focusing on offense only.
  • Gameplay - You have to do a lot of tedious running around to get to certain Strongholds.
  • Voice - Not as good as Dynasty Warriors 4 Empires
  • Voice - Zhang Jiao has a country accent... sounds like a fricken Preacher
  • Items - Its taking a very long time for items/weapons to become available for use. I have already conquered 5 areas and items/weapon upgrades still aren't available for use.

-- POSITIVES: ---------------------------------------------------

• Voice - Better than Dynasty Warriors 5
  • Enemy officers do respawn like in Dynasty Warriors 4 Empires.
  • Stationing your troops adds a new dynamic to the game.