Page Location: Home > Playstation 2 Lounge > Topic
lazybum
rank 24
Posted:
Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:57 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
I started playing stretch panic last night. It is a blue colored disc and my ps2 was having a ton of difficulty reading it. Like whenever it has to load between doors(levels) it makes a sound that hurts my ears. Sometimes it can load the level in like 10 secs, sometimes it takes a minute, and sometimes the game will just freeze. All the time it takes to load the level it makes this terrible noise too.

I fear my ps2 is meeting the end of its life. It has had difficulty with blue discs for awhile now, but it has never frozen before when trying to load them. Does anyone know any methods to help an old ps2 read blue discs better and live a little longer?
Posted:
Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:04 pm
quote : #2
I buy a lot of second hand ps2 consoles. A lot of what I buy does not work but in about 50% of cases I find that simply opening the case and cleaning the lens fixs the ps2. Amazing how dusty these things can get inside. Careful to find out which type and model of PS2 you have before attempting this though as you can accidently disconnect some things that willl then mean you have to take apart the entire console to reconnect it.

Laters
Posted:
Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:39 pm
quote : #3
last night I tried tilting the console vertically and then back, and for some reason that helped it read the disc better. Like for the next 5 or 6 loadings between levels it only had trouble one of those times. I probably should still try cleaning the lens though, how would I do that exactly?
Posted:
Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:45 pm
quote : #4
Like i said before I just opened up the console and cleaned it. I use fragrance free baby wipes or some vodka on a cotton bud bit of tissue etc. The pureist will tell you to use rubbing alcohol and a que tip (think thats an ear cleaner where I come from). Depends which PS2 you have as to how tricky it is but none are that difficult. Just be careful when you unscrew the case turn it upside down and lift up the console slowly and take a look. Should be fairly easy to see where there are cables that may get detatched. I watched a video on Youtube before I did my first and it did help even though its not rocket science. You also have to remove the top of the cd drive, this is easy but you need a tiny screw driver or as I use a pointy tip knife.

Laters
Posted:
Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:05 pm
quote : #5
that is weird...I remember the first Blue disc I ever put in my PS2 it make sick scratching noises!

is it because Blue disc compress data or something? or because it uses less of the data?

I will try and do some research and see if anything helps beyond what I know!
Posted:
Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:23 pm
quote : #6
A fat PS2? It's probably the groves in the disk.

lazybum
rank 24
Posted:
Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:54 pm
quote : #7
What do you mean? My ps2 has problems with all blue discs, not just with stretch panic.
Posted:
Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:50 am
quote : #8
Kannibal wrote:
that is weird...I remember the first Blue disc I ever put in my PS2 it make sick scratching noises!

is it because Blue disc compress data or something? or because it uses less of the data?

Playstation 2 CD-ROMs are blue, whereas PS2 DVD-ROMs are black. Sometimes, as a Playstation 2's lense gets out of whack, it'll stop reading DVDs, but continue to read CDs, or vice-versa. If you're lucky, you'll just have to clean your lens, as Blast suggested. Otherwise, you'll have to twist the potentiometer inside, so it has the right level of resistance.

lazybum
rank 24
Posted:
Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:08 pm
quote : #9
MasquedWarrior wrote:
Kannibal wrote:

Playstation 2 CD-ROMs are blue, whereas PS2 DVD-ROMs are black. Sometimes, as a Playstation 2's lense gets out of whack, it'll stop reading DVDs, but continue to read CDs, or vice-versa. If you're lucky, you'll just have to clean your lens, as Blast suggested. Otherwise, you'll have to twist the potentiometer inside, so it has the right level of resistance.

I tried cleaning the lens several times, If by potentiometer you mean adjusting that white gear inside to adjust the angle of the laser, I tested every single notch on that gear already lol.
Posted:
Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:43 am
quote : #10
Type: PAL
The potentiometer is a small screw that resides underneath the laser so you have to unscrew and twist the laser. It's very tricky. I tried that and nearly killed my PS2 ;(

lazybum
rank 24
Posted:
Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:44 am
quote : #11
Did it fix your ps2 though?
Posted:
Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:23 am
quote : #12
Type: PAL
lazybum wrote:
Did it fix your ps2 though?

No, but thats because I didnt knew what to do. I just turned the Potentiometer in a specific direction and tried it out. Nothing happened. I did that several times. No changes. I think I just did something wrong. However, its amazing what the laser in the PS2 can handle. I twisted the laser, broke the rails the laser runs on... and the PS2 still could read blue discs but no dvds.
Later I found another "solution." The laserunit itself consists of two lenses. the one that you can see, if you're looking form above and one lens that sits directly underneath the first one. I tried cleaning that twice. The first time, again, no changes. The second time it killed the laser. But I heard that cleaning this second lens helped a lot of people. Try searching youtube for that matter.
I think I just used inproper tools, I mean no alkohol and so on. But that didnt matter, I bought this Unit für 6€ on ebay so it didnt hurt Smile

LNA-Big_D
rank 7
Posted:
Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:59 am
quote : #13
I don't know if you've figured out your problem or not, but I had the same problem when I got my first PS2. Do you get the same problem with PS1 games too?
What I had found out is that the older PS2s (first generation?) didn't like CD-ROMs in general. I had this problem since I took it out of the box, so it isn't necessarily a bad lens. While the discs are still playable, you are probably going to have trouble with them. Newer PS2s were better equipped for this, and don't have this problem.