1, 2  Next
gary_b
rank 8
Posted:
Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:16 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
a friend of mine had a PS2 that was giving him nothing but disc read errors. so he sold it to for $5. console only, no cables or controllers. lucky for me i have some original dual shocks and tons of cables for various video game systems. i cleaned the laser lens and now it works perfect. so i scored a fat PS2 for $5 Very Happy Cool

TheMytho
rank 38
Posted:
Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:55 pm
quote : #2
Wow, you can't beat that deal. Shocked

Was this the same guy who sold you his Sega CDX?

Any interest in tracking a network adapter down?

gary_b
rank 8
Posted:
Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:47 pm
quote : #3
yeah the deal worked out great. a shop near me has the network adapters for $5 or $10 bucks. so i will probably get one soon
TheMytho wrote:
Was this the same guy who sold you his Sega CDX?
no it wasn't the same guy. it would have been pretty funny if it was though. Laughing

lazybum
rank 24
Posted:
Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:28 am
quote : #4
Just curious, how did you clean your lens exactly? My ps2 has trouble with blue discs and I need to try cleaning mine.
Posted:
Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:06 am
quote : #5
i took it apart using this video. then i dipped a Q-tip into some rubbing alcohol, wiped the lens clean, then took a new dry Q-tip to it, to dry and further clean the lens. after that i tested it with PS1 games, DVD movies and the only PS2 game that i have. "madden 2004". all the games and movies worked so i put the system back together. if cleaning it didn't work i was going fallow the other steps in the video.

lazybum
rank 24
Posted:
Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:26 am
quote : #6
I just tried cleaning the lens tonight with qtips and alchohol but it didnt fix the problem. I might have to try that gear adjustment thing, but umm it doesn't sound very smart to plug in your ps2 with it all apart like that. Like he says to plug it in and eject the disc tray when it is all opened up. Can't that laser mess up your eyes if you have it out in the open like that when it is turned on?
Posted:
Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:41 am
quote : #7
maybe, if you look directly into it.

lazybum
rank 24
Posted:
Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:11 am
quote : #8
Yea, well I just am replacing the disc cover every time I test a new disc so I dont blind myself. I am going to just go notch by notch on that gear to see if I can get all 3 types of ps2 discs to read.

Posted Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:51 am:

aaaaaa!!!!!! Well it is offical I now have to buy a new slim ps2. I disconnected the small wire that goes from the power/eject buttons to inside the system. Ugh, I was working of this for like 2 hours and was being extremely careful around that wire, then I was getting really tired and was going to seal up the system so I could work on it some more tomorow. I had a weight next to the case so it couldn't fall over and rip the wire before, but I apparently had moved it and when I started screwing in the screws on the disc tray cover my arm pumped the case which fell over and the weight of it ripped the wire off. Rolling Eyes Crying or Very sad

Well, I most likely would not have been able to fix the problem of my ps2 to read blue discs anyways since I do not think it was just a laser problem The noises it made sounded like something inside was slipping around.

So I have no working ps2 at all now until I buy a new one.
Posted:
Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:42 pm
quote : #9
Aw shit. Great job lazy! Nah, but I hope you find a good replacement soon.
Posted:
Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:15 pm
quote : #10
gary_b wrote:
a shop near me has the network adapters for $5 or $10 bucks. so i will probably get one soon
i just came back from that shop. some asshole came in and bought all 4 of them from him. he wanted to probably resell them on ebay. i see the BBA is selling for far more the $10 the shop was asking Crying or Very sad

lazybum
rank 24
Posted:
Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:38 pm
quote : #11
Heh, well I may be able to ressurect the old sob still.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdMgd0y3DIg&feature=channel_page

The wire did not tear it just came out of the ps2 and I did not know where to stick it before I found this video. Will try this later.

Posted Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:43 pm:

Also, Gary if I cannot get my fat ps2 fixed I could possibly sell you my network adapter since I would have no use for it.
Posted:
Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:10 pm
quote : #12
I finally got a new PS2 myself (actually used over at gamestop.) The one they gave me was actually broken, I came back the next day and replaced it for me. For the longest time I've been playing all my PS2 games of my PS3, but a few games didn't emulate too well; specifically Twisted Metal: Black.
I also picked up Burnout Revenge over there and ordered Katamari Damacy on Amazon. I'm planning on picking up a few more games too, Hulk: Ultimate Destruction, Timesplitters: Future Perfect and maybe Indigo Prophecy.

Anemptybox
rank 3
Posted:
Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:30 pm
quote : #13
Type: PAL
Indigo Prophecy, or "Fahrenheit" as it's called over here, is an interesting game. I think you'll like it, at least the first half.
Posted:
Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:32 am
quote : #14
i went out and got a few cheap games and a memory card to do some more testing on the console. everything worked great except midnight club. midnight club is a blue disc, so idk if it is this copy of midnight club, or if the laser is bad? my guess is that the laser needs adjusting or replacing. i am going to start by having the store buff the disc. if that doesn't work i will buy a 2nt game on a blue disc and try adjusting the laser using the 2 blue discs to calibrate it.

lazybum wrote:
Also, Gary if I cannot get my fat ps2 fixed I could possibly sell you my network adapter since I would have no use for it.
i might be interested in your network adapter.

lazybum
rank 24
Posted:
Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:30 am
quote : #15
heh, well unfortuantely for you I was able to reconnect the power button wire so my ps2 still functions for silver discs, so I could still use the network adapter for getting a harddrive down the road.