Page Location: Home > Archive (General) > Topic
martianviking
rank 9
Posted:
Mon Feb 23, 2004 1:30 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Forgive the use of an exclamation point in my thread title, but I'm feeling that it might just be appropriate; apparently the Japanese version of Bomberman Online (called "Net de Bomberman") was released in Japan on Thursday! (That's February 19, 2004.) We've been hearing about it for a while, and it seems to have actually happened...

I really don't know anything about it other than the fact that GameFAQs says that it's been released and that a couple of people claim to have it. That leaves me with two major questions:

1: Can it be imported and played online by those of us outside of Japan?

2: Does it require a subscription fee of around the yen equivalent of $5 per month (as rumored), and if so, how is this handled by players outside of Japan?

Ohboyohboyohboyohboy...

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Mon Feb 23, 2004 7:28 am
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C

DUN DUN DUNNNNN!!!!! YESSSSSSSSSSSS it was released WOW!

http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=27&products_id=4083&

Its selling at lik-sang right now for 39.90!!!

I looked up IGN and they recently posted this detailed information on the game:
ign wrote:
February 10, 2004 - Following an Online beta test, Hudson Soft at last seems prepared to give the masses the wonders of Online Bomberman. Set for release on 2/19 in Japan is Net Bomberman, the final version of the company's Online PS2 Bomberman project. Today, the company revealed pricing details for the game.

The game will offer two payment options. One is a monthly payment program costing 500 yen per month for continued service. The other is a fixed 30 day program that also costs 500 yen. The first course will apparently award subscribers with two months of free play time.
To keep things interesting for long term subscribers, Hudson plans on offering downloads in the future. Specific plans have yet to be revealed, but the company is looking at things such as new stages and rules.

Bomberman fanatics should note that this latest title is Online only, meaning unlike something like Minna no Golf Online the only way to play is to be Online. Unlike the Offline Bomberman games, the title allows up to eight players simultaneously, which should provide for some twists on the formula.

No word yet from Hudson on a stateside release.

I'm not sure if you can play outside of japan.

Posted Mon Feb 23, 2004 7:34 am:

Also here is the official website for BMO on ps2!
http://www.hudson.co.jp/gamenavi/gamedb/softinfo/bomb_online/

Juicy stuff. I wonder if you can play this from the states.
rank 9
Posted:
Tue Feb 24, 2004 1:34 pm
quote : #3
I'm still researching it, but I have read that the registration process does not require a physical Japanese address and that you can pay for your subscription with a credit card. Both of these details would suggest that the registration and subscription process shoudn't be too hard to deal with from outside of Japan.

I have not yet found any information on whether or not the game or network is set up to detect if you are physically inside of Japan or not. It may well disallow any connections from outside the country; I'll keep researching and post back here when I have more information.

Also, there is still no information at all (not even rumors) of a North American release. As suggested by lordnikon, there are a number of online retailers (www.lik-sang.com and www.yesasia.com, for example) that are offering it for import (the current going price seems to be US$39).