rank 1
Posted:
Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:02 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: PAL
Hello,

Bumped into your site when looking for answers to:

Is it possible to create a LAN with multiple PS2s and use a PC to act as a game server without going onto the internet? (Listen server?)

The reason:
My son has just gotten into Ratchet & Clank 3 and so are his mates. I wanted to have them play together but not exposed on the internet. So that they can also have their own screen and more space rather than the split screen you get in multiplayer mode.They have all genuine unmodifed slimline Sony consoles and legal Ratchet & Clank 3 (UYA) games. I naively tried just to LAN them together with a switch and ethernet, but it appears they need to be served (DNAS) from "central station".

Excuse my ignorance if this is a stupid question but please educate me.

All information graciously accepted.

Cheers,

eno

Karlsuke
rank 6
Posted:
Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:15 am
quote : #2
The DNAS test verifies that the game is an original copy and so on. This happens only over the internet though. So if you want to play this game on LAN, it has to support it. Many games are Online only which means that you can only play them over the internet and not on LAN. But I dont know how it looks like on ratchet and clank 3.

Hope I could help ^^

TheMytho
rank 38
Posted:
Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:18 pm
quote : #3
Type: NTSC-U/C
There is no LAN support for Ratchet and Clank 3 or Ratchet: Gladiator. The game must have explicit LAN support for it to work.

If you are worried about your kids getting exposed to randoms on the Internet, you can password the game and distribute the password amongst his friends.

eno
rank 1
Posted:
Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:45 pm
quote : #4
Thanks Karlsuke and TheMytho.

I'm guessing there must be more to it than just using a ps2 to host the game like when you LAN motogp or gt3/4, even if you could get past the DNAS. Must need the specific "net play" game code to be on the LAN PC server and that would be proprietary software that would never be released even when they do shut off the servers.

How do you "password the game" when you go online?

Cheers,

eno

TheMytho
rank 38
Posted:
Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:35 pm
quote : #5
Type: NTSC-U/C
When you create a game, there is an option near the bottom labeled 'Password'. All you have to do is type a password in and you're set.

eno
rank 1
Posted:
Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:51 am
quote : #6
Thanks