Page 1 of 3
No_Limits
rank 14
Posted:
Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:19 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
I've tried to find good tutorials, but there really isn't one that fully explains how to get xlink working. First off, my PS2's mac address is not displayed when I pressed triangle to get to the version info screen. I think I found it though when I was trying to create a new network config. and where it summarized the config, it gave a mac address. I assumed that was my PS2's mac address and wrote it down. I also disabled DHCP through the control panel I believe. I used the IP address calculator on the site, put in my mac address and it gave me an IP address. So I just put that in when I go to manual setup in the network config. setup, along with the subnet mask and default router numbers given in the guide on this site? Also, this is the only site that mentioned something about forwarding port 30000 to my PC's IP address. Is this necessary? How come none of the other tutorials said anything about it? What does it do?

Also I don't understand the whole thing about different IP addresses for the PS2, PC, and router. Where do I create a different IP address for my PS2? In the network config setup on the PS2? Also, how do I find the IP's of my PC versus my router. There is an IP address and Default Gateway number in my network settings in the control panel. Is the default gateway the IP of my router? Is the one labeled IP address the one for my PC or router?

Sorry for so much questions, I'm not a wizz with computers, and as hard as I looked, I couldn't find good answers to these questions.
Posted:
Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:51 am
quote : #2
No_Limits wrote:
I've tried to find good tutorials, but there really isn't one that fully explains how to get xlink working.
the one here at Onlineconsoles does a pretty good job of walking you through the process. go here and read over section #6

No_Limits wrote:
First off, my PS2's mac address is not displayed when I pressed triangle to get to the version info screen. I think I found it though when I was trying to create a new network config. and where it summarized the config, it gave a mac address. I assumed that was my PS2's mac address and wrote it down.
i also do not see my mac when i hit triangle. but you are correct, the method that you used works fine for obtaining your PS2's mac address. i had to do the same thing.

No_Limits wrote:
I also disabled DHCP through the control panel I believe. I used the IP address calculator on the site, put in my mac address and it gave me an IP address. So I just put that in when I go to manual setup in the network config. setup, along with the subnet mask and default router numbers given in the guide on this site?.
i am not sure where you disabled DHCP? but you probably should not have done so. what game or disc are you using to configure your PS2's internet? here is the best answer i can give you. when you are setting up the network configuration on your PS2. it will ask you if you want to obtain an IP automatically (DHCP is used) or manually (DHCP is not used) so you don't have to disable it. it just won't be used when you select manual. once you obtained an IP from the xlink IP generator with your PS2's mac address, you would enter it for a manual configuration of the IP.

No_Limits wrote:
Also, this is the only site that mentioned something about forwarding port 30000 to my PC's IP address. Is this necessary? How come none of the other tutorials said anything about it? What does it do?
port forwarding allows data to flow through the firewall. if you do not forward port 30000 it is possible that the firewall will block the data and stop Xlink from functioning properly. btw i have seen this listed in the xlinks forums.

No_Limits wrote:
Also I don't understand the whole thing about different IP addresses for the PS2, PC, and router. Where do I create a different IP address for my PS2? In the network config setup on the PS2?
ok, so you have an IP address given to you by your ISP. this is the IP that your router uses to connect to the internet. your PS2 and your PC will use a local IP that your router distributes to local machines on your LAN (Local Area Network) to set your PS2 up with a static IP from your router. you would have to go into your routers configuration and look for something like like LAN IP setup. on my router this is called IP reservation. you would enter the mac address of the PS2 and select a local IP for the PS2 to connect with.

No_Limits wrote:
Also, how do I find the IP's of my PC versus my router. There is an IP address and Default Gateway number in my network settings in the control panel. Is the default gateway the IP of my router? Is the one labeled IP address the one for my PC or router?
in your router configuration it will have your IP listed someplace. mine has it under the basic settings. you can also go here to see what your ISP given IP is. while you are there you can test your speed too Laughing. to find the local IP of any and all devices attached to your router, you will have to go into your router and look for attached devices. it should have a list of the machines and their mac addresses. knowing what is what might be hard to tell if you have 5 things connected to the net. so you may want to terminate anything that could be using the web other than the PC and the PS2 so that it is easy to tell them apart. you already know your PS2's mac so the other one would be for the PC

that's everything, if i missed something or if you need anymore help let me know. also i could probably help you test xlink once you are ready. so PM me if you want to test or need help.

No_Limits
rank 14
Posted:
Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:40 am
quote : #3
Well first off, thanks for the detailed explanation. I don't think I ever disabled DHCP, but I might've and I reversed what I did anyways, since you told me doing the manual setup doesn't use it. I think I've finally got everything figured out...except I don't know how to get into my router configuration. Everyone has different routers, so its hard to know how to find it, and I can't quite find my router's manual. I've been trying out the Actiontec site, but there's nothing telling you how to get there.
Posted:
Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:54 am
quote : #4
Yup, everybody does things a little differently on facets of this. Like in my case, I have to turn off DHCP and use that static ip calculator and I also have to use a router ip/gateway different from 192.168.0.1.

Basically, whatever address you use to get to your router config would be what you would enter in the config file for Xlink under router ip/gateway.
Posted:
Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:01 am
quote : #5
Okay, I found my router's manual online, and it told me to type in my router's IP address into the address bar like I'm going to a website. A login screen showed up and the manual told me to put in a given default username and a default password. I put both of those in, and it said the login failed. I'll be fine once I get into my router's configuration, but how come the default username and password aren't working?
Posted:
Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:13 am
quote : #6
Was the router sent to you by your ISP or did you purchase it separately? If the ISP did send it to you, they probably put in a different password and username for the modem. I had to spend like 2 hours one day trying to figure out how to get in the router configuration for a modem that was sent from an ISP different from mine and those guys changed passwords around on me to.
Posted:
Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:27 am
quote : #7
It was sent by my ISP. I found a list of all possible usernames and passwords that Verizon might have changed it too. But none of them worked. Apparently I can reset my router by pressing a button I found that will restore the default username and password. But I'm cautious about doing that and don't know if that will screw anything up.
Posted:
Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:53 am
quote : #8
Gforce wrote:
Yup, everybody does things a little differently on facets of this. Like in my case, I have to turn off DHCP and use that static ip calculator and I also have to use a router ip/gateway different from 192.168.0.1.

Basically, whatever address you use to get to your router config would be what you would enter in the config file for Xlink under router ip/gateway.
when i set up my configuration using Tribes it says right in the configuration tool that manual IP's don't use DHCP. so i am not sure why you needed to turn it off in your router? also my router is set up to use 192.168.1.1 as the LAN ip. how ever i used 192.168.0.1 for the gateway on my PS2's xlink configuration. i thought as you do when i was setting it up. i thought that it wouldn't work with .0.1 but it does and i don't know why lol. if you turn DHCP off that is fine though. the shitty thing is that you would have to go in and set up an IP for every device that connects to your router. at my house that would be very annoying. i have to many things that sporadically connect and they only stay connected for short amounts of time.

No_Limits wrote:
It was sent by my ISP. I found a list of all possible usernames and passwords that Verizon might have changed it too. But none of them worked. Apparently I can reset my router by pressing a button I found that will restore the default username and password. But I'm cautious about doing that and don't know if that will screw anything up.
resetting the router shouldn't hurt anything. besides resetting the router your only option would be to call Verizon and ask them if they know the password. they might not know it though. it could be a password that an old subscriber set up when he/she was renting the router.

No_Limits
rank 14
Posted:
Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:01 pm
quote : #9
I reset my router and everything is fine. Except now my router won't read my PS2. There is no green light on where you insert the Ethernet cable in the lpugs labeled LAN on my router. The one for my computer is lighted up, but when I reset my router, the LAN 2 green light where the cable from my PS2 went off. In the router configuration, there is only my PC listed under the things its detecting.

Posted Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:18 pm:

Mad now when I try to get back into my router's configuration, it says login failed when I type in the username and password I JUST CREATED and wrote down. How freaking' hard do they have to make it to just go into the router's configuration?

Posted Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:22 pm:

Neutral phew...never mind, I wrote down the wrong password, luckily I remembered the other one before I took a bat and crushed my router Razz. But my router still isn't detecting my PS2...
Posted:
Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:30 pm
quote : #10
it wont detect it unless the PS2 is trying to access the internet. try putting in an online game and selecting an online match, let the PS2 idly connect so that the router sees it.

No_Limits
rank 14
Posted:
Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:35 pm
quote : #11
you're right, it detects my PS2 when it searching for game on Timesplitters 2. I looked in my router's configuration and it is set to 192.168.1.3 which seems good since my PC is 192.168.1.2 and that's the only other thing connected to my router. But when I open up xlink, it always says I'm "offline". Do I need to forward port 30000 to my computer's IP? I really don't want to have to figure out how to do that...

Posted Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:57 pm:

It says in the guide on this site to use the static config. listed there. But it says to use 192.168.0.1 though my router's IP is 192.168.1.1
Posted:
Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:34 pm
quote : #12
yes you have to forward port 30000 to your PC's IP. if you do not forward the port xlink will fail to synchronize. also you need to have the PS2 trying to connect to a LAN game in order for Xlink to say that the PS2 is connected. if you do not either host or try to join a game xlink will say that no consoles are configured.
No_Limits wrote:
It says in the guide on this site to use the static config. listed there. But it says to use 192.168.0.1 though my router's IP is 192.168.1.1
use .0.1 not .1.1. as you have already pointed out the router as .1.1

No_Limits
rank 14
Posted:
Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:01 pm
quote : #13
since my Ps2's is set to 192.168.1.3, should I set it to that?

Posted Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:06 pm:

also I followed a tutorial on portfoward.com on how to forward ports on with my router. I seemed to successfully forward port 30000 to my PC's IP 192.168.1.2 but the port forward test on the site said port 30000 is not open...? Am I supposed to forward the port to a different IP, like my router's or PS2's?

When xlink says i'm online, will I know then that xlink is working and I shouldn't have to do anything else?

Posted Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:27 am:

do I have to use my the IP given by my ISP for anything, since its different than the 192.168.x.x ones?

Posted Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:32 am:

in my router configuration, there is an ip address for my router, pc and ps2 all of which start with 192.168 but then under broadband connection, there is another ip address listed that is different than the others. That's the one I need to know if its necessary to use in xlink setup anywhere? Something needs to be done because I tested out xlink last night and xlink detected my ps2 and the network was reachable but gforce and mytho said they couldn't establish a link to me. It could also be an issue with the port forwarding but I followed the guide step by step on portforward.com...
Posted:
Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:15 pm
quote : #14
No_Limits wrote:
since my Ps2's is set to 192.168.1.3, should I set it to that?
no, you forward it to the PC's IP.

No_Limits wrote:
also I followed a tutorial on portfoward.com on how to forward ports on with my router. I seemed to successfully forward port 30000 to my PC's IP 192.168.1.2 but the port forward test on the site said port 30000 is not open...? Am I supposed to forward the port to a different IP, like my router's or PS2's?
idk what test you used. here is how you will know if it is working. turn on your PS2, have a game trying to host or connect. then open kai xlink and if it doesn't warn you that it has lost synchronization then it is fine. i had to play with my IPs and i didnt have a static one set so the port forwarding had moved to the wrong IP on me a few times. when it moved away from my PC's IP xlink would give me that warning.

No_Limits wrote:
do I have to use my the IP given by my ISP for anything, since its different than the 192.168.x.x ones?
not that i can think of

No_Limits wrote:
When xlink says i'm online, will I know then that xlink is working and I shouldn't have to do anything else?
well kind of. you can do some tests on xlink to be sure that it is connecting to your PS2. but ultimately you are going to have to test it with another person over a LAN match .

No_Limits wrote:
in my router configuration, there is an ip address for my router, pc and ps2 all of which start with 192.168 but then under broadband connection, there is another ip address listed that is different than the others. That's the one I need to know if its necessary to use in xlink setup anywhere? Something needs to be done because I tested out xlink last night and xlink detected my ps2 and the network was reachable but gforce and mytho said they couldn't establish a link to me. It could also be an issue with the port forwarding but I followed the guide step by step on portforward.com...
from first glance i would have to say no, you won't need that IP for anything. it is more likely to be the ports. but i do need to know how the system is configured. do you have the PS2 and the PC connected using cat 5/6 cables? or are you trying to connect the PC over wireless?

No_Limits
rank 14
Posted:
Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:56 pm
quote : #15
My pc and ps2 are connected to my router with cat5/6 cables and my router is then connected to my modem. I used http://www.portforward.com/help/portcheck.htm to check to see if port 30000 was open. But it said it wasn't. I used a step-by-step tutorial to forward port 30000 to my pc's IP 192.168.1.2. I created a network config on my PS2 where I entered in the IP address I generated from my PS2's mac address, and the subnet mask 255.255.0.0 and the default router 192.168.0.1. I set my 192.168.1.3 as the DMZ since that's what my PS2's IP is listed as in my router configuration. I entered 30000 into the xlink kai config in the kai deep port and port. Isn't that all that needs to be done?