Page 3 of 3
No_Limits
rank 14
Posted:
Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:48 am
quote : #31
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
ok, I tried the port checker with windows firewall turned off, so it has to be something else stopping it.
Posted:
Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:58 am
quote : #32
You sure you setup your static ip right? I wanted to set a custom static ip, but the modem/router I got from my ISP only allows me to set a single address as my static IP.
Posted:
Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:17 am
quote : #33
I'm not sure...the static ip, is the thing you set up in control panel right? You unselect "obtain an IP address automatically" and enter in your pc's ip the subnet mask and default router. Is that the static ip?[/quote]

Posted Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:20 pm:

also, it says in the guide here, to use the static config. on the PS2, but why would I use 192.168.0.1 for router ip/gateway when my router's ip is 192.168.1.1?

and it says set the dns to automatic, but if I do manual for the dhcp part before it, it automatically makes me put in a dns server. It won't give me the option to obtain it automatically unless I do auto dhcp thing.
Posted:
Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:20 pm
quote : #34
No_Limits wrote:
..also, it says in the guide here, to use the static config. on the PS2, but why would I use 192.168.0.1 for router ip/gateway when my router's ip is 192.168.1.1?

I really think that what the guide lists as a router ip/gateway only applies to SOME but not all routers. So pretty much, whatever set of numbers you have to enter in your web browser to get into the settings for your router/modem, enter that as your gateway.

So your connection profile for XLink should be like this:

Is password required for connection (makes a mention of PPPoe) ? No

IP Address: whatever address you got from the Xlink static IP calculator after entering your MAC address
Netmask: 255.255.0.0
Default Router: 192.168.1.1

Set DNS Automatically? Yes

Then after that, try connecting to Xlink and then choose the option to join a LAN game in one of the LAN titles you own. If it does not pop up "PS2 configured successfully" under diagnostics (that magnifying glass, then the folder that appears below it), you should try to look through your firewalls intrusion attempts log or something of the sort to see if there is an address that's been blocked multiple times and if it's the IP address you entered for your PS2 that you got from the Xlink static IP calculator.
Posted:
Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:38 pm
quote : #35
wait, I've seen 255.255.255.0 and 255.255.0.0.....are you sure the second is correct?
Posted:
Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:24 pm
quote : #36
Yuuup.
Posted:
Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:42 pm
quote : #37
but i should use 255.255.255.0 for the subnet mask when creating a static ip on my pc?
Posted:
Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:27 pm
quote : #38
Yes, the subnet mask stays as 255.255.255.0 on your PC. I'm CERTAIN that info I provided you for your Xlink network configuration file will be right. Also, I want you to do this: click Start-->Run and then type "cmd." After the box comes up, type "ipconfig." If there is an address of the type 192.168.0.xx there already you may already have a static IP set. If this is so, whatever you see in the "IP Address" field is the address that you forward port 30000 and the Xlink traffic to as well under your firewall and or router.

Ha, timesplitter already....
Posted:
Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:29 pm
quote : #39
My ip is 192.168.1.x, and that's what I forwarded the port to. Not open. Then I added it as an exception to what my windows firewall doesn't block. Not open. Then I tested turning windows firewall off. Still not open.

Static IP:
IP=192.168.1.2
Subnet Mask=255.255.255.0
Default Router=192.168.1.1
DNS server=192.168.1.1 (it seemed strange since its the same as the router, but apparently some DNS's are like that)

PS2 xlink Config:
IP=number I got from address calculator on xlink's site after entering my PS2's mac address
Netmask=255.255.0.0
Router IP/Gateway=192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1???

Can I put in the above dns server instead of doing auto, since for some reason, it won't let me get to the option to put it on auto once I've selected manual for the ip part. Also, should I do manual config's for normal online games as well? I always had them on auto, but since I've tried to get xlink working, I connect to online 25% of the time. If so, what would I put in for the IP address?

That's everything I've done, in attempt to get xlink working.

Why's it so annoying to get working?! Mad
Posted:
Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:29 pm
quote : #40
- This IP address that you stated as 192.168.0.x was created by default and not set by you correct? If you did create the IP yourself, your router or modem may not allow custom IP creation and you should try to get your modem/router back to a default IP setting.

- Have you been checking your ports with the PFPort checker program or some other way? If you are using that PFPort program, it should tell you exactly what address you need to forward ports to when you open it up.

- I believe you can set your primary DNS to the IP of your modem and leave the secondary blank, but I'll have to take a closer look at my profiles later.

- Your router/IP gateway should be 192.168.1.1.

This is a great learning process man. Through this you'll learn how to properly configure your firewall instead of just giving trusted programs "allow all" access to your internet which is not always the best idea sometimes. I'm still kind of worried you use Windows Firewall as your main firewall, but it would probably be best not complicate things by adding a new firewall to the mix right this moment.
Posted:
Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:22 pm
quote : #41
The IP in the static IP was already my PC's before I set that. I think my only real problem still is getting darn port 30000 open.
Also in doing the manual config for all online games, would I do:

IP= 192.168.1.3 (since that's what it usually what my router automatically assigns it to anyway), the same one you use for xlink from the calculator, or my ISP's IP?
Netmask=255.255.255.0 or 255.255.0.0
Default Router= i don't need help for this one
DNS server=no clue, Gforce you said maybe the IP of my modem. Would that be my ISP's IP? I didn't know there was an IP for my modem...
(^^^this is not for xlink)

I don't think I have any other firewalls other than Windows Firewall. I have Windows Firewall, Windows Defender, Avast Antivirus, and my router has its own firewall (I think? Don't all?).

Posted Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:03 pm:

Anyone?
Posted:
Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:28 pm
quote : #42
I know I'm digging up an old topic BIG TIME, but I finally did get xlink working. The problem was the port forwarding, which took awhile until my router was chill with letting that port be open haha.