Page 1 of 1
lazybum
rank 24
Posted:
Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:15 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
I have tried just about everything possible to get xlink working. Let me say what I have tried first

I setup a static IP on my pc. I port forwarded to that static IP. I confirmed the port was open because I download the portchecker program from portforwarding.com and it confirmed I had forwarded port 30000 correctly.

When Trying to use xlink it at first said my network was reachable, but it would not detect my console. It would only show my mac address in the console detection area with no picture or any other text attached to it. http://s257.photobucket.com/albums/hh219/lazyhoboguy/?action=view&current=untitled2.jpg

This was happening before I had setup dmz for my consoles static IP address. So, I went and set that up, but the same problem occurred even after using my dmz enabled network configuration for my ps2.

My next attempt was to follow the getting setup for xlink guide on this site. It all was going smoothly until the network configuration setup utility asks me for the DNS Servers. The guide says put them as automatic, but once you decide to enter in your static IP it makes you have to type in a DNS server in order to proceed in setting up the network conifguration. SO, I just entered in the Router IP/Gateway from the previous section, hoping that might work. I tried this new network configuration and I still had the exact same problem in Xlink.

I know it is not my firewall or anti-virus program blocking anything because the port checker program confirmed port 30000 was open even when my firewall was up. I still then tried all these previous attempts again with my firewall and anti-virus turned off. Still, same problem.

The very first times I tried xlink it said my network was reachable as soon as I opened it. The next few times it took a long time before it would say my network was reachable. It would be stuck on "not yet" for awhile before it changed to "yes". Then on later attempts it would just stay on "not yet" even though everything was setup exactly the same as before.

I still had my wireless network card installed on my computer. I had already disabled it from connecting to the internet though. I thought maybe it was still causing trouble, so I unistalled the wireless network card's software from my pc. It had no change on the previous problem. I will try physically removing the network card from my pc soon. I am curious to see if sticking my second wired network card back into the pc, allowing me to once again setup ICS would make any difference. I mean I would test my pc directly connected into the modem and use ics just to test it. I would not be able to leave things this way since other people use the same internet connection as me.

I have spent probably 5 or 6 hours working on this. Anybody have any ideas on how to make this son of a bitch work?

Posted Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:20 am:

YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!

I decided I better test this out with someone. Nosferatu said his consoles sometimes show the same thing in the console detection screen (just the mac address) but they still work.

So, sure enough he hosted a game and I could join. Mr. Green

Interestingly enough, my automatically setup network config on the ps2 works and that network config I made using the xlink guide on this site (where I just plugged in the default gateway address in the DNS Server field) worked. However, the network configuration I made using a static IP which I setup for DMZ would not let me see Nosferatu's game on XLINK.

I am so happy it is working right now though. I could seriously cry lol.
Posted:
Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:08 am
quote : #2
thats nice Smile

The first day I tried to get xlink working, I got it to say "network reachable"; and that my console was detected. But when I tested it out, Gforce couldn't connect to my game. I then realized that I never opened port 30000. So I went into my router configuration, did so and proceeded to check it with that port checker program. It wasn't open. So I added port 30000 as an "exception" for Window Firewall so it wouldn't block it, still didn't work (jjc5150 said that worked for him and putting it as an exception means you don't have to turn the firewall off all together). So then I tried turning off the firewall altogether, to my dislike, still didn't work. Also, once I started trying to get port 30000 open, xlink stopped detecting my console. Then I started having issues with my non-xlink games like BF2, where I couldn't connect and it said there was a ip conflict or something, and that it couldn't connect to the dns....So I never got as close as I did to getting it working as I did on the first day, and I had to undo all the stuff I did for xlink (like the static ip on my pc) just to play my normal online games again.
Also, how did you give your ps2 a static ip, because i'll say that my I set my pc's static ip to 192.168.1.2, but when the I tried to get on with my PS2, I think maybe it might've been assigning it the same ip? I heard that might happen if you set a static ip, that it won't be detected by the other device, thus assigning it the same one...well this is where I've been for the last month or so...any advice would help, especially on opening port 30000!

Posted Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:10 am:

oh and did have to turn off your router and turn it back on after you port forwarded port 30000? Jjc5150 said that I should but it didn't seem to make a difference...
Posted:
Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:47 am
quote : #3
Type: NTSC-U
HI Guys.

What NO_Limits was trying to say is, from my experience with network equipment and gaming setups especially, many times when you go into your router / modem to make changes, open ports, etc - the changes will not take place until you power down all of your equipment and restart it. I dont know why that is the case but it unfortunately is.

So for instance, you're opening port 30000 for xlink, you go into your router/modem, etc, open the port , save your changes, close your browser and everything is still the same - not working. So usually if you then power down all equipment (pc/mac and ps2 as well) and restart it, when the router reboots the changes will then take effect.

Also id like to point out that sometimes the router my be configured properly, but your modem may not be setup correctly. I say this because I recently changed my internet provider (from Cable to DSL), and when that happened nothing was working properly, even though I was using the same router, set up exactly the same with no changes. After an hour or so researching the net, i discovered that I needed to make changes to my modem configuration. after that, everything was all good : ).

So Lazybum, if your still having problems, let me know ill probably be on jabber later on, and ill try my best to help you out if need be.

And finally,........ Any Games scheduled for tonight? Laughing
lazybum
rank 24
Posted:
Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:46 pm
quote : #4
No_Limits wrote:
thats nice Smile

The first day I tried to get xlink working, I got it to say "network reachable"; and that my console was detected. But when I tested it out, Gforce couldn't connect to my game. I then realized that I never opened port 30000. So I went into my router configuration, did so and proceeded to check it with that port checker program. It wasn't open. So I added port 30000 as an "exception" for Window Firewall so it wouldn't block it, still didn't work (jjc5150 said that worked for him and putting it as an exception means you don't have to turn the firewall off all together). So then I tried turning off the firewall altogether, to my dislike, still didn't work. Also, once I started trying to get port 30000 open, xlink stopped detecting my console. Then I started having issues with my non-xlink games like BF2, where I couldn't connect and it said there was a ip conflict or something, and that it couldn't connect to the dns....So I never got as close as I did to getting it working as I did on the first day, and I had to undo all the stuff I did for xlink (like the static ip on my pc) just to play my normal online games again.
Also, how did you give your ps2 a static ip, because i'll say that my I set my pc's static ip to 192.168.1.2, but when the I tried to get on with my PS2, I think maybe it might've been assigning it the same ip? I heard that might happen if you set a static ip, that it won't be detected by the other device, thus assigning it the same one...well this is where I've been for the last month or so...any advice would help, especially on opening port 30000!

Posted Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:10 am:

oh and did have to turn off your router and turn it back on after you port forwarded port 30000? Jjc5150 said that I should but it didn't seem to make a difference...

Nolimits, when you are picking a static Ip it is a bad idea to pick 192.168.1.2. because usually when a router assigns ip addresses to pcs it starts with that number, so if another computer is online at the same time as yours it will mean neither will work. Try setting it to like 192.168.1.30 for your pc (its what I did). That way 30 network devices would have to be turned on in order for one to get the same ip address as your static ip (so it will never happen). Then make your static ip for your ps2 be 192.168.1.31 or something to set it up for dmz.

Posted Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:49 pm:

I did not have to reset anything to make the port forwarding of 30000 take affect, but I still think that is a good idea to try if you are having trouble because resetting everything has solved other problems for me in the past.
Posted:
Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:02 am
quote : #5
Alright thanks, just one more question....for now

How do I set an ip for my ps2? You said to make the static ip 192.168.31 or something...how would I do that?
Posted:
Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:52 pm
quote : #6
No_Limits wrote:
Alright thanks, just one more question....for now

How do I set an ip for my ps2? You said to make the static ip 192.168.31 or something...how would I do that?

You would have to make a new network configuration on your ps2. Instead of picking having it auto configuration you would pick the manual configuration so you can type in your static ip address.
Posted:
Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:00 pm
quote : #7
So this would work for a static ip for my PS2?

Console IP: 192.168.1.31
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Router IP/Gateway: 192.168.1.1

But for xlink, I would still forward port 30000 to my pc's ip not my ps2's, right?
Posted:
Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:09 pm
quote : #8
No_Limits wrote:
So this would work for a static ip for my PS2?

Console IP: 192.168.1.31
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Router IP/Gateway: 192.168.1.1

But for xlink, I would still forward port 30000 to my pc's ip not my ps2's, right?

Yea that sounds like that should work for your ps2. Is exactly how mine looks. However, it will probably ask you for the dns servers when you are typing in your static Ip in the network configuration. I at first just replugged in the router IP/Gatweay in that spot and the network configuration worked (I am not sure if this messes anything up though, so you should try to find the real dns servers). I then made another network configuration where I actually found the DNS servers and typed them in.

Both of those network configurations seem to work. You can find your DNS servers by going into your router menu and looking around.

Posted Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:10 pm:

And yea, you just port forward 30000 to your PC's static IP.
Posted:
Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:19 pm
quote : #9
ok, well I successfully created a static ip and tested it with bf2 Smile
I think I'll try getting xlink to work again now, since I'm optimistic after my port forwarding for Rainbow Six: Lockdown worked