Page 1 of 1
Favrenation
rank 6
Posted:
Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:12 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
I know how xlink works and everything but when I go to their site it shows servers listed in the world. Does that mean that once xlink shuts down there servers will xlink not work in general? Or are those servers made for statistical puproses only. If they are run on servers how are the LAN games online forever if they rely on a server that can be terminated at any point? Any answers will be great! Thanks in advance!

gary_b
rank 8
Posted:
Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:45 pm
quote : #2
i wondered the same thing. im sure Nikon has a plan in place for any game that he claims is online forever. i just don't know if that plan is xlink or otherwise?

Favrenation
rank 6
Posted:
Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:44 am
quote : #3
I know warp pipe for the gamecube started off as an independent software but then they add servers for a lobby. I just hope that he has a plan. But then again it look like those servers could be here for a while becuase xlink has support for other consoles.

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:26 am
quote : #4
This is a very good question, and one that I am happy to answer. XLink is currently proprietary software. It isn't open source, and it is centrally controlled. Technically it can be terminated at any moment, and based on all of my experience tracking online services over the years, the fact that a variety of game platforms are supported by the service has no bearing on its longevity regardless of how current the hardware platforms are.

LAN games, are online forever because they can be networked entirely independent from any central server or service. At the basic level, you the player can setup 2 game consoles in a LAN, in your own home, without the need for server software to bridge the gap between consoles in a local environment. This freedom is what defines the term "online forever".

XLink provides us with convenience. It is well developed, and supports a wide variety of games. If it were to shutdown, it would clearly impact our ability to play PS2 games online. However the termination of XLink has no impact on a PS2 game with LAN still being able to connect in a LAN environment. All that would be needed is another solution to bridge the gap between two players.

While restoring true online functions to any terminated online game is pretty much impossible (which I won't get into here), filling in the gaps for LAN tunneling either by experimenting with other software, programming your own software, or going so far as to setup a VPN with other users is all within the realm of possibility. Thus giving us the power to control our ability to play these games over the internet well into the future.
rank 14
Posted:
Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:21 am
quote : #5
makes sense Cool
Posted:
Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:06 pm
quote : #6
well theres always Git
leaf 2006 http://www.leafnetworks.net/
xboxconnet and gamespy tunnel we should at least give this softwares a try.
Posted:
Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:46 am
quote : #7
will it work with ps2?

Kannibal
rank 13
Posted:
Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:18 am
quote : #8
Actually, i use a similar software like Xlink to play Rouge Trooper on PC with some buds via LAN since the official servers are like ghost towns. This is also possible on the PS2 version of Rouge Troopers, unfortunately I can't experiment with it at the moment. All it does is just let you send and receive data with X number of people simultaneously, but also simulates a LAN environment[with the exception of still relying on internet speed as if it was truly online] thus letting you play through the LAN option in the case of the official servers going down. The person that host the server must not only have a reliable connection, but must also have ports in their router open which can be a hassle for the first few times.

Basically, for the term "Online-Forever" to become proven and true for each game, the game itself must have a LAN option accessible at any given time[unlike Medal of Honor: Rising Sun, it may have the LAN option but it no longer functions]. Games with working LAN for example are SOCOM, Armored Core, Rouge Trooper, and counting. When the "OFFICIAL" servers for said game go down, that's when LAN brightens up the picture! Just use a software like Xlink, set up your PS2 for Xlink play and there you have it...no need for servers, just decent internet, a decent host and some good friends to play with!

[i might have repeated what some may have said, bit I hope this clears up why games with LAN are important!]
Posted:
Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:01 pm
quote : #9
Type: PAL
Er, I'm just new to this, but as I understood it; any PS2 put in the DMZ of your router and hosting a (LAN capable) networked game is 'online forever' capable (in theory, if not in practice!)

Am I wrong?

lazybum
rank 24
Posted:
Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:35 pm
quote : #10
garg wrote:
Er, I'm just new to this, but as I understood it; any PS2 put in the DMZ of your router and hosting a (LAN capable) networked game is 'online forever' capable (in theory, if not in practice!)

Am I wrong?

Well if a game has a LAN mode it is online forever. But only by using LAN tunneling software on your PC and having your PS2 connected to that same LAN network.. Xlink Kai http://www.teamxlink.co.uk/ is one LAN tunneling application that we now use to play LAN games online. This service could one day get shut down. Who knows. The games are online forever because any such LAN tunneling service will work.
Posted:
Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:18 pm
quote : #11
Type: PAL
I just had a look at Xlink, but I can't say I'm entirely sure what I am supposed to be doing!

It seems to be connected to a server (In Montrial) and it can see my PS2.

I have a few of the games on the server list so I've marked them as favorites, unfortunetly nobody is on them.

Do I just start this up thern boot up my PS2 and host a game?

If a game is showing as having someone on it in the Xlink list should I be able to see it on my PS2 and connect to the hosted game?

I've set up my PS2 with the IP adress I got from the on-line site, and did the rest of the setup. Port 30000 is being passed to my PC etc...

The PC can see the PS2 and the Xlink software recognised it, and I've checked that my PS2 is seing the outside world (disconected Xlink and connected to a FIFA 8 game through the DNAS thingie) all semes ok, but I'm just sure I'm missing something Wink