Page Location: Home > Support > LAN Tunneling > Topic
Favrenation
rank 6
Posted:
Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:11 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
I first heard that gamespy games will not work with Xlink but I read another article that said that now it is possible. Is this true? because i would really like to play COD 2 BRO on the ps2. That game is my favorite online game and i know it has LAN support and that makes me hopeful that I can play this online for a long time.

P.S. my name is Logan on that game and I was wondering if anybody saw me.

No_Limits
rank 14
Posted:
Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:28 pm
quote : #2
I'm pretty sure it will, other Gamespy games like Tony Hawk and SWBF have been played through xlink before. I'm not sure where you heard that Gamespy couldn't be played through xlink but I don't think that's true. I personally haven't gotten xlink completely figured out yet but I'm sure COD2 will work over xlink.
Posted:
Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:09 am
quote : #3
I know from experience that thps3 will work through lan and that is a gamespy game, so I wouldn't give up hope
Posted:
Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:40 am
quote : #4
There was a news post a while ago that said that the problem with tunneling Gamespy games is that it won't work with Dynamic IP addressing. At the network setup screen, you must statically assign an IP address to the PS2.

Favrenation
rank 6
Posted:
Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:48 pm
quote : #5
Thats good I was planning on doing that anyway. Its good news to here that I can play cod 2 bro online forevor. My next quiestion is that will headsets work for LAN games.

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:28 am
quote : #6
Follow our specific XLINK guide here:

http://playstation2.onlineconsoles.com/phpBB2/guides_getonline.php#6

It will ensure that all PS2 LAN games, gamespy or otherwise, will work with XLINK.

Also, yes since COD2 BRO has LAN support it is classified as "online forever". Meaning since it has the ability to be independently networked, we can always find a way to some how tunnel the game to play it online. So even if XLINK oneday gets shutdown, it is within the realm of possibility to find another method since setting up Tunnel's or VPN's, or coding such software to do this, is far far less complicated than reverse engineering proprietary software to host games online.

Whether or not Headset support works in LAN games on the PS2 is a toss up. We currently track this stuff in our System Link list, but more often than not we end up using PC based voice chat for many games. As it is more versital and more stable.
rank 5
Posted:
Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:42 pm
quote : #7
I know for a fact that mics work in LAN with the SOCOMs and the Star Wars: Battlefronts.