1, 2  Next
lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Mon Mar 01, 2004 6:01 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C

Metal Gear Solid 3 for Playstation 2 will feature HDD compatibility. Allowing you to log onto the net and download new items, clothing, and a lot more. More details will surface in the months to come. Also, if sony makes this content broadband only downloadable content, then I am writing an official bitch letter to SCEA.

rank 7
Posted:
Mon Mar 01, 2004 6:36 pm
quote : #2
Aren't you on broadband anyways? Dial-up is going the way of the dinosaur so companies are in no way obligated to support it.

Apple
rank 23
Posted:
Mon Mar 01, 2004 6:39 pm
quote : #3
New clothes!!!!!! Ok I'm a dork but hear me out.

One thing I liked about ATV Offroad Fury 2 was the unlockable clothes. I'm a personalization freak. I can't wait to see "use your game points to shop for the new styles online."

TheMytho
rank 38
Posted:
Mon Mar 01, 2004 7:42 pm
quote : #4
Apple wrote:
One thing I liked about ATV Offroad Fury 2 was the unlockable clothes. I'm a personalization freak. I can't wait to see "use your game points to shop for the new styles online."

You found some redeeming factor in ATV Offroad Fury 2?! I also like the personalization, as long at it doesn't require you to work tirelessly to achieve. Apple, check out Animal Crossing for GameCube (if you have one, first of all). No doubt in my mind you would like that game.

On-topic: That's great that MGS3 has downloadable content. The only thing I want is Sony to release the hard drive without FFXI for like $50-75. I don't care for the game since I already have it on PC.

About the broadband only thing: I think it'll be BB-only. Sony seems like they're trying to move up to an XBOX LIVE-esque online realm. And I really don't know too many people that have dial-up outside some OC members and kids at school (AOL shall burn in the pits of hell!). That would still be neat if Konami made it downloadable over dial-up. Shows they care. Smile

-Mytho

Apple
rank 23
Posted:
Mon Mar 01, 2004 7:51 pm
quote : #5
I have no Gamecube but if I work this summer or it goes ridiculously lower Animal Crossing is already on my list (since my brother has an E-Reader)

I don't know why you hated ATV Mytho; I liked it. Maybe it was the emphasis on leaning that you disliked? Anyway we should play it online sometime. In fact we need more scheduled gameplay (And some work on that WDS.)

The BB only doesn't bother me much at all. I hope the downloadable content continues to flourish and improve.

TheMytho
rank 38
Posted:
Mon Mar 01, 2004 7:56 pm
quote : #6
Apple wrote:
I don't know why you hated ATV Mytho; I liked it. Maybe it was the emphasis on leaning that you disliked? Anyway we should play it online sometime. In fact we need more scheduled gameplay (And some work on that WDS.)

The game felt generic to me. Nothing really groundbreaking, nor nothing really done well. The trick system seemed thrown in at the last minute, just to seem 'down wid tha kidz'.

If I found it for $15-20, I'd possibly buy it.

-Mytho

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Mon Mar 01, 2004 9:02 pm
quote : #7
Metal_4evr wrote:
Aren't you on broadband anyways? Dial-up is going the way of the dinosaur so companies are in no way obligated to support it.

The network adaptor was released with both a dial-up modem and a broadband adaptor in one. This is sony's official product. A lot of gamers here are at onlineconsoles are on dialup only. I have played twisted metal black online, and tribes online both over dialup before. They work just fine on dialup.

The majority of people in the united states with internet are not on broadband. Dial-Up still holds the majority for users online in the United States.
And yes I have proof to back this up:

--------
http://www.websiteoptimization.com/bw/0402/
As of January 2004, most users in the US connect to the Internet using dial-up modems of 56Kbps or less. 46.6% use 56Kbps modems, 7.2% use 28/33.3Kbps, and 3.2% use 14.4Kbps modems. In total, 57% of home users in the US connect to the Internet at 56Kbps or less (see Figure 1).
--------

Online gamers with dial-up compatibility deserve every right to play these games online as much as broadband users. When games like trivial pursuit come out as broadband only, then you have to wonder what the hell is going on.

Plus we are talking about DOWNLOADABLE CONTENT HERE. Your telling me, it wouldn't bother you people that a company you buy games from, wont make downloadable content dialup compatible? There is no excuse.

If a company releases a product and start's giving it's customers the shaft and cutting corners....simply because they are too lazy to factor in the time into their budget to optimze the code.......whats next? What other hardware or games will sony start to get lazy on? Will they start releasing fighting games that are 1 player only? Or maybe an RPG where you can only use 1 weapon the entire game.

I would be very worried if this game doesn't allow downloadable content for dialup users.
rank 2
Posted:
Tue Mar 02, 2004 1:55 pm
quote : #8
Lord Nikon,
I totally agree with you. I don't see any reason why they can't make DL content for dial-up users. Maybe, just maybe, I could understand making online play broadband only (but again, TM:BO plays fine on dial-up). But DL content being broadband only?!?! Come on...It isn't like us dial-up users are going to slow down the connections of other players. I'll write a letter as well if it comes to this.
Posted:
Tue Mar 02, 2004 2:51 pm
quote : #9
im proud to say that i am apart of that 57% im proud of the fact that im not a sucker and pay up to 50 bucks a month for a freekin internet connection ...

Metal_4evr
rank 7
Posted:
Tue Mar 02, 2004 3:02 pm
quote : #10
Downloadable content maybe but I would hate to see Socom 2 on dial-up. I know many of the issues are server side but still. Some games should be dial-up compatible but the lag in many games is not fair to the others regardless if the programers are lazy or not.

Memphissss
rank 16
Posted:
Tue Mar 02, 2004 5:33 pm
quote : #11
its not all about the connection its just about the compresion protocalls that developers are to lazy to write in order to use BB games on dial up ....

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Tue Mar 02, 2004 7:14 pm
quote : #12
They could make it so if your signing into socom on dialup you can only join a game that has a player limit of 4 people.

Just like how TMB:O is setup. Set a cap for dialup users. You don't see the dialup users lagging out games on TMB:O......why? Because they can't join games that have a total player count greater than 2 players. Problem solved.

They have no excuses to not support the dialup modem on the network adaptor.
rank 38
Posted:
Tue Mar 02, 2004 8:01 pm
quote : #13
lordnikon wrote:
They could make it so if your signing into socom on dialup you can only join a game that has a player limit of 4 people.

It could work. Look at Alien Front Online for Dreamcast. 8 players max and voice chat, hardly any lag, and get this.... IT'S ON DIAL-UP!

Back in May of last year, when I rented Midnight Club 2, I was sorely dissapointed that dial-up users could not play the game. All I wanted to do was race around on my motorcycle and chat with another person. Was my request too hard to fulfill? Apparently so.

-Mytho

Player Zero
rank 2
Posted:
Thu Mar 04, 2004 2:55 pm
quote : #14
not to get too far off topic, but laziness has to be the main factor in not supporting dial up. Just like how laziness comes into play when developlers don't allow gamers to host online games, and then when their servers go down in a year, you can't play that game online anymore (*cough* madden 2003 *cough*)

I don't think it would be that hard to let dial-up users play SOCOM - just limit the number that can go online, and remove voice chat. I don't care. Just don't shut me out of the online community because I don't have broadband. It's discrimination in my opinion.
Posted:
Thu Mar 04, 2004 3:36 pm
quote : #15
Voice Chat could work - but SOCOM would have to limit the number of people playing and possibly have the chat at a lower quality than normal. Beats not being able to play right? Very Happy

-Mytho