lazybum
rank 24
Posted:
Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:22 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
http://www.teamxlink.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2690

Wow, this sucks. This is why countless times we have had problems getting matches going on Xlink.

Apparently, if you do not set your status as "host" on Xlink, during times when Xlink is busy with lots of players the program will just stop tunneling your game. Here is a quote from that thread.

"here are a million stories about this going all over Kai and frankly it is causing a lot of apparent 'technical issues' that are really not issues at all.

YOU MUST SET YOUR STATUS TO HOST IF YOU ARE HOSTING A GAME ON THE CONSOLE.

Once Kai hits a certain bandwidth usage it stops tunneling to new users. So people coming into the arena will simply not see the game. Kai won't tunnel it to them. This also is the explanation for the complaints of getting dropped from a game and then not being able to see it to rejoin.?"

So, you would think that setting your status to host would solve the problem, but they go one to say if your upload speed is not high , if your status is set as being a host Xlink Kai will limit the amount of players that can join....

"lso... DO NOT SET YOUR STATUS TO HOSTING IF YOU HAVE POOR UPLOAD BANDWITH.

The limiter will allow you to play a 2-4 player game and that is all you can handle.

If your hosting here are my recomendations. (no these are not required but if you don't want to hear people complain Wink well you know the story)
4+ xbox's i recomend your upload be at min 512 up
10+ xbox's i recomend nothing less than 1000 up
12+ xbox's I envy you because you probably have 1500 or greater upload bandwith.

DO NOT HOST UNLESS YOU CAN HANDLE IT!
or if you do, play in a private arena."

So, if you don't set your status as host your game will get dropped during times of heavy usage on XLink, but if you do set your status as host the program will limit the amount of players that can join your game based on your upload speed. So basically you are screwed either way since Xlink Kai messes with your game and really limits you to 4 player matches unless you have a very expensive internet plan with a ridiculous upload speed.

They mention that if your upload speed is bad you should host in a private arena. They do not clarify if this means that private arenas will cause Xlink not to limit the player counts based on upload speed though. I can't respond to this thread to ask them that since this is a locked sticky thread.

This must be why in Jak X: Combat Racing a month or so ago when we had 7 players, all who had tested working xlink connections and we could not get more than 4 people in a game. Everyone could join the game at some point but once there was 4 players in the match no one else could join.

This is really disappointing to find out...
Crying or Very sad
Posted:
Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:58 pm
quote : #2
I think we should try finding some alternative becuase xlink is hard to set up and the limitation are bad. We should use some other vpn. The one thing I dont like about is that almost all wifi adaptors won't work and I think that is retarted. Y should I have to use a wired connection just to play my ps2 a few times a week.

TheMytho
rank 38
Posted:
Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:36 pm
quote : #3
I don't think we should abandon Xlink just yet. Further testing needs to be done to see if we can figure this out. If we could by-pass everything using private arenas, that would be great.
Posted:
Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:05 pm
quote : #4
Mmm, I don't know what to make of all that. What about that game we played of TMBO that I recorded?
Posted:
Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:20 pm
quote : #5
WHat are some other vpns that might work? Would you have to have a wired connection becuase thats the thing that is limiting me.

lazybum
rank 24
Posted:
Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:23 pm
quote : #6
Yea, it is not like we have a decent alternerative to switch to right now, so we will have to test this out and see if we can somehow find a way to get around these limitations or minimize their effect.

I know we have had more than 4 people in games before, but we usually don't have too many more than that. And, I have noticed that with larger player counts on many games we start to have problems getting everyone to join. Like, if Xlink isn't busy and we are hosting a match without setting our status to being the host, nothing will limit the amount of players it sounds like. But if Xlink gets busy it will start dropping players and not letting new players see the match that is up. And if you do set your status to hosting it sounds like it will limit the amount of players that can join by your upload speed.

We should try messing around with private arenas to see if that does anything though.
Posted:
Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:55 pm
quote : #7
Once I get my new ps2 I might be able to get it set up but it would be a pain in the ass becuase of the wired connection. I mostly play first person shooters and sports games. COD 2:BRO is my fave game. FInest hour is good though.
But to stay on topic one of my earler topics pannta said this: well theres always Git
leaf 2006 http://www.leafnetworks.net/
xboxconnet and gamespy tunnel we should at least give this softwares a try.

Those could be alternatives

No_Limits
rank 14
Posted:
Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:59 am
quote : #8
what is 7323 kbps is terms of bandwidth. I used this site http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/ to determine my upload speed, but I'm not sure how the result it gave me compares to those recommended bandwidths for hosting.
Posted:
Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:44 am
quote : #9
I think 1000+ kbps is about 1 megabyte per second so if thats the case then you need 7 mbps upload speed which is ridiculaous because thats my dowload speed.

Rommel
rank 7
Posted:
Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:13 pm
quote : #10
1 kilobyte (KB) = 8 kilobits (kb)
1 megabyte (MB) = 8 megabits (Mb)
1024 kb = 1KB 1024 KB = 1MB 1024MB = 1GB So on and so on....

No_Limits
rank 14
Posted:
Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:15 am
quote : #11
"4+ xbox's i recomend your upload be at min 512 up
10+ xbox's i recomend nothing less than 1000 up
12+ xbox's I envy you because you probably have 1500 or greater upload bandwith."

What unit are those numbers in?
Posted:
Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:02 am
quote : #12
kilobytes per second like in my last post i don't no y rommel was talking about bits those r bytes.

No_Limits
rank 14
Posted:
Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:18 am
quote : #13
i'm confused
Posted:
Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:19 am
quote : #14
i just want to know how do i get 7323 kbps into a number w/ the same units of those mentioned in the recommended bandwidth for hosting...
Posted:
Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:00 am
quote : #15
A little less than 7.3 mega bytes per second.