Page 1 of 1
Favrenation
rank 6
Posted:
Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:46 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
Do you guys also use voice chat too. Ik know cod 2 BRO has voice chat.

noonotthat
rank 8
Posted:
Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:12 am
quote : #2
most games in game voice chat is pretty bad, myself and a few other members here use skype if we want to voice chat since it's free and has great voice quality that doesn't bog down your connection
Posted:
Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:40 am
quote : #3
Elaborating on what noonotthat said, the voice chat in most online console games is rather limiting. It only works during a game, and only sometimes in the lobby. Often times it can generate more network latency in the game itself. Instead we have opted to use PC applications for voice communication.

While some have opted to use skype, the official voice software moving forward at the site will be Ventrilo. Why? Because services like Skype are centrally controlled. Ventrilo provides both the client software, as well as the voice server software for 100% independent voice chat support.

More information about Ventrilo can be found here:

http://www.ventrilo.com/

However, this is something that a few users at the site are currently running. I still need to get up much more documentation on the site about Ventrilo and voice chat in online games.
rank 4
Posted:
Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:03 pm
quote : #4
Type: PAL
noonotthat wrote:
most games in game voice chat is pretty bad, myself and a few other members here use skype if we want to voice chat since it's free and has great voice quality that doesn't bog down your connection

But I thought Skype was just the PC?

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:49 pm
quote : #5
He isn't referring to skype being used on the PS2. Many of us have our PC's close to our PS2's, and thus use PC based voice chat communication software as a replacement to that found in many PS2 online games.
rank 8
Posted:
Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:21 pm
quote : #6
I've used ventrillo quite extensively in the past and I can say from experience that skype is a much easier set up, more reliable and less hassle. With ventrillo you need to have your own server set up, which costs money. You could run a server in your house, but it uses up so much bandwidth that it would render the whole reason for making it useless since you wouldn't be able to actually play games with it. Then there would also be the possibility that your vent server could some how go down, then what? You would have to fiddle around with it and get it back up again, during this whole down time having no voice chat.

Also unless you set a bind to talk in vent (which really wouldn't work unless you were at the pc, but you aren't since you would be at your t.v. playing ps2), the auto voice detection cut off is really finicky and unreliable. You can always tell when some one has the auto cut off on because you can hear lots of breathing and background noise. Skype has none of these issues and the auto voice detection is much more reliable. Plus theres the fact that you don't need to have a server to use skype, making it my preferred pc voice chat client.
Posted:
Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:24 pm
quote : #7
There are ways to fix the voice cutoff in ventrillo through configuration settings. Ventrilo will be the recommended voice client for the site. It is independent and entirely customizable. You can use skype, in-fact you can use anything you want. But Ventrilo is what will be the advertised and recommended client on the site. Skype is centrally controlled so we won't be focusing on it. You are free to use it with whomever, but it won't be promoted on the site at all in hardcoded site guides.

One very important thing to note is that, Ventrilo doesn't take up much bandwidth if you adjust its codec compression settings.

Also, any more than 3 players chatting is a complete mess on any open voice system available. I remember playing online with 5 people talking at once and oh boy.... totally crazy. You couldn't hear anything because everyone was talking at once. This is probobly why a lot of games require a user to press a button to talk, and only 1 person can occupy the voice line at any given moment.
rank 8
Posted:
Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:22 pm
quote : #8
ok so what server are we supposed to use, if it is going to be the "recommended" method? I know most of the people on this site would be unable to host their own ventrillo server, or not have the knowledge to. And I know no one here wants to pay for a ventrillo server when there are plenty of other free ways to do voice chat.
Posted:
Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:14 pm
quote : #9
I have tried ventrillo a few times and do have to say that skype was way easier to use and is much more reliable. I was able to get a ventrillo server running once on my pc, but all of a sudden one day it decided to die and I could not use it anymore. Even first starting up ventrillo I had to spend about 30 mins messing with its options before I could get the mic settings to even work right.
Posted:
Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:25 pm
quote : #10
I rather like ventrilo as I use it for gaming on RTCW:ET
I find it's easy and reliable. Also, Lordnikon I know what you mean by a bunch of people talking at once, it's just horribe...

As for a server, I could host a fair amount of the day with my Windows 98SE (128MB of RAM, I'll check the connection speed later), I'm not sure if it would be any good though...
Or I could ask a friend if we could use his (I think he still has a dedicated server) as it's empty most if not all the time...

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:45 pm
quote : #11
noonotthat wrote:
ok so what server are we supposed to use, if it is going to be the "recommended" method? I know most of the people on this site would be unable to host their own ventrillo server, or not have the knowledge to. And I know no one here wants to pay for a ventrillo server when there are plenty of other free ways to do voice chat.

noonotthat, you don't need to pay for a server. You just run the server app on any PC, and open the necessary port. It doesn't consume that many resources. We don't need to run a central server for Ventrilo. It isn't necessary. If you want to chat with someone else, one of the 2 people would flip on the server app and pass their IP to the other person. It is pretty straight forward.

The only difference between Skype and Ventrilo is that one is centrally controlled by another corporation, and one is not. We have control with Ventrilo. So that is what we will be using.

A voice chat guide will be put up on the site eventually. Currently it is a low priority as there are other things around OC that need to take place first before I can get to this.

Rommel wrote:
Also, Lordnikon I know what you mean by a bunch of people talking at once, it's just horribe...

Yea I wish every game had keyboard support. It allows everyone to chat at once, and you can get up to get something to drink without having to say "hey I am getting a drink". Then when you get back, you can simply read the chatlog to see what people said. Voice between 2-3 people is good, but anything more than that just descends into madness with everyone talking over one another.
rank 4
Posted:
Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:12 pm
quote : #12
Type: PAL
lordnikon wrote:
He isn't referring to skype being used on the PS2. Many of us have our PC's close to our PS2's, and thus use PC based voice chat communication software as a replacement to that found in many PS2 online games.

Okay, I never play alongside the PC xD. Usually I sit in my room.

jannypan
rank 1
Posted:
Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:47 pm
quote : #13
Type: Washtington
Often times it can generate more network latency in the game itself. Instead we have opted to use PC applications for voice communication.