Page Location: Home > Support > LAN Tunneling > Topic
bojadada
rank 1
Posted:
Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:44 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
As the title says. I think I have my ps2 configured properly, because when I click the magnifying glass, all the settings are right. BUT, when I try to see if my console is detected, it says it isn't. I also cannot see how many players/arenas there are going on, only question marks show. How do I get my console to get detected? Help is greatly appreciated. Thanks. O yeah, btw, the game I'm trying to play on xlink is twisted metal black online if that makes any difference, because the setup tutorial I followed was for gt4.

lazybum
rank 24
Posted:
Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:21 am
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
bojadada wrote:
As the title says. I think I have my ps2 configured properly, because when I click the magnifying glass, all the settings are right. BUT, when I try to see if my console is detected, it says it isn't. I also cannot see how many players/arenas there are going on, only question marks show. How do I get my console to get detected? Help is greatly appreciated. Thanks. O yeah, btw, the game I'm trying to play on xlink is twisted metal black online if that makes any difference, because the setup tutorial I followed was for gt4.

First of all. Make sure you are using version 7.3.1.7 of XLink. Newer versions will not work with ps2. Get this version here on Xlink's homepage (just scroll down to find it) http://www.teamxlink.co.uk/ or click here to directly download it if you are lazy http://www.teamxlink.co.uk/binary/XLinkKai-7.3.1.7-win32.msi .

If you are using this version. Make sure you are in the LAn mode of the game and hit the refresh button if it has one in the game. Try restarting Xlink a few times to see if it detects your console. Sometimes that is needed.

For the arenas showing question marks. That is not connected to you. I read on the forums somewhat recently that it is caused by problems of their orbital servers linking up. It does not really effect anything, but it sure as hell is annoying.

Are you using a router to connect to your pc and ps2? Or are you using Internet Connection Sharing off of your PC?

Are you using a wireless connection? (known to cause problems)
Posted:
Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:42 am
quote : #3
Type: NTSC-U
hi guys - i just wanted to add....... check the guide here on the site : http://playstation2.onlineconsoles.com/phpBB2/guides_getonline.php#6

Follow the instructions to set up your mac address and network settings on your memory card to make sure you have it set up properly.
bojadada
rank 1
Posted:
Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:57 am
quote : #4
I am on a wireless connection, and I'm using ics.

lazybum
rank 24
Posted:
Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:06 pm
quote : #5
When you click on the magnifying glass. Does it say your network is reachable?
Posted:
Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:12 pm
quote : #6
Yea, it does. Everything on that page, is it locked, reachable, etc. is right. I got it to work ONCE, but I have no clue how I got it to be detected. I can actually get online though, not on xlink, but I'm actually able to connect. I'm guessing I have something wrong with the way xlink is setup or something, or it could be that you have to connect a certain way through this game.

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:21 pm
quote : #7
Is Gran Turismo 4 the only game you are testing? or are you testing others as well?
rank 24
Posted:
Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:21 pm
quote : #8
Well wireless tends to cause problems for XLink. I would try it with a wired connection if thats possible for you. Some people have gotten it to work with wireless, but I cannot help you much with that aspect. Your pc firewall could be blocking xlink from connecting to your ps2. That happend to me the first time I tried using ICS.
Posted:
Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:55 am
quote : #9
Nah, the game I'm trying is Twisted Metal Black Online. Haven't tried anything else though. Anyone know about wireless bridging? I saw some thread on here and someone said he was able to get online using wireless bridging, but whenever I do that, I can't connect to the internet anymore.

Favrenation
rank 6
Posted:
Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:13 pm
quote : #10
Thats what ICS is. I use that for my ps2 to get online but if the computer is hooked up wireless than you could have trouble.

lazybum
rank 24
Posted:
Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:17 am
quote : #11
Hey well. I am in the same situation as you here and I managed to get both Xlink and Normal Ps2 online games working off of my wireless internet connection. My PC gets a wireless internet connection. I tried using ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) at first to string a crossover cable from the PC to ps2 to get Xlink working. Xlink would work for some reason, but no ps2 online games would get past the dnas screen. I checked my PC and it said it could not assign an IP address to that connection. Also, my PC would say that for the wired network card that it had "limited or no connectivity",even while Xlink was working with it.

I remember someone talking about having to bridge their internet connections in this situation. So I tried that and it worked! Now both my normal ps2 online games and Xlink works !

Here is what I did.

1. Go into control panel and open up "Network Connections".
2. Make sure you turn off internet connection sharing on your Network Connections if you have turned it on. Otherwise, it will not let you bridge them.
3. I highlighted both my wireless connection to the PC and the wired network card I intend to use for my ps2. When they are both highlighted right click and select "Bridge Connections".
4. After that, I found that using a normal Ethernet cord to connect the pc to the ps2 worked. So unlike Internet Connection Sharing, I do not even need a crossover cable to connect the PC and PS2. I have no idea why though lol.

I should note. I have no control over my router here. I was just lucky enough that the ports are open on it and allow me to be network reachable on Xlink. So if you still have problems attempting this setup. Go check out your router settings as well and make sure port 30000 is forwarded to your PC.