Page 1 of 1
lazybum
rank 24
Posted:
Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:31 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
I just got my PS2 hooked up for online again tonight. I had recently found a sniper elite forum where they were trying to get the online of the game active again ( http://sniperelite.hqforums.com/ ), so once my PS2 was online again I popped in the game to see if anyone would be on. I was delighted to find 5 or 6 other players on. We played team deathmatch for an hour or 2. I forgot how intense this game is online. There is nothing more terrifying then walking down the level thinking you are safe, then zooming in and seeing some other sniper's face poking out of a wall right before he blasts you.

This game is a bit pricey, but is definitely worth it. The single player alone is worth the price because it is so unique and replayable. The online is just an added bonus until the servers get shutdown really haha.
Posted:
Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:46 am
quote : #2
How exactly do people play this game online? Do they camp in a corner the entire time and snipe people as they walk by? Part of the reason I never got this game was because I imagined that this game was like a camper's paradise.

Also, are there a nice variety of maps compared to CoD2? I've seen screenshots of this game, and everything looked brown and/or ruined. I don't mind some brown, but when every map looks identical, then it is a problem.
Posted:
Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:22 pm
quote : #3
Well, you need to realise though that this isn't sniping like in other games. You have to factor in distance and wind and other stuff I believe when taking your shots. Like the bullet will drop due to gravity so those things you have to factor in.

Its not like in other games where you just place your target on an enemy and kill them instantly. The only "camping" that could be done is waiting behind some object and jumping out in front of them to shoot them in the face. However even then, it would be close quarters with a pistol.

I havn't played this game much, but this is what I have read, so correct me if I am wrong.
rank 19
Posted:
Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:07 pm
quote : #4
lordnikon wrote:
Well, you need to realise though that this isn't sniping like in other games. You have to factor in distance and wind and other stuff I believe when taking your shots. Like the bullet will drop due to gravity so those things you have to factor in.

Its not like in other games where you just place your target on an enemy and kill them instantly. The only "camping" that could be done is waiting behind some object and jumping out in front of them to shoot them in the face. However even then, it would be close quarters with a pistol.

I havn't played this game much, but this is what I have read, so correct me if I am wrong.

In online games I always thought lag kind of made up for the lack of wind effect. The gravity is a nice tough though.

Laters
Posted:
Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:09 am
quote : #5
TheMytho wrote:
How exactly do people play this game online? Do they camp in a corner the entire time and snipe people as they walk by? Part of the reason I never got this game was because I imagined that this game was like a camper's paradise.

Also, are there a nice variety of maps compared to CoD2? I've seen screenshots of this game, and everything looked brown and/or ruined. I don't mind some brown, but when every map looks identical, then it is a problem.

Well this game plays a lot different online than something like COD2. In team death match each team usually spawns on opposite sides of the map. People can't really camp for long. First of all the sniper shots make loud ass bangs that anyone near you will hear. When you die, the camera zooms into the general area of your killer, so once you respawn you usually try to seek them out. If they stay in the same spot you are going to easily kill them since you know where they are.

Also, if you camp, you are not going to get many kills. The maps are big so unless you at least slowly move around the maps you are not going to find opponents that fast.

The game does have a lot of brown/greyish maps. But it really doesn't matter for this game. You have binoculars which can zoom in really far on the levels, so any movement is obvious to you. So, it doesn't really suffer from the cod2bro problems of people blending in too much.