Page 1 of 1
satoshi
rank 21
Posted:
Tue Mar 09, 2004 3:39 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
I'm in quite the dilema (sp?) right now. I've been seeing all these ads for FFXI, and after watching my friend play the PC version, I have this overwhelming desire to get FFXI and play it. However, I have also been anxiously awaiting PSO Ep.3 (GC) for quote some time. In an ideal world I'd get both, but I just don't have that kind of money. I know there's two versions of FFXI, the PC and the PS2 versions, and I'm leaning towards the PS2 one, though it is more expensive that the PC one. It costs $99 because it comes with a harddrive for the PS2. Then there's the $12.95 monthly fee to play online. Ep. 3, however, will only cost $50 and have an $8.95 monthly fee for online play. Plus, with the Ep. 3 HL, I can, once again, play Ep1 & 2 if I want to.

My reason for choosing the PS2 version of FFXI over the PC version is because I KNOW it will run on my PS2, no matter where it is. I use 3 different PCs on a regular basis though, and I don't know how well FFXI will run on all of them (or whether it'll even allow me to install it on all three PCs). With the PS2, I can just hook it up to any TV, and, as long as I have a network cable nearby, I'm set to go. I can even bring my PS2 over my friends house and play with him when he's on his computer, something I couldn't do if I had the PC version. At LAN Parties, too, I could free up a computer for someone to play FFXI on, while I use my PS2 on the TV, thus allowing everyone to play together (or I could just be evil and use my TV card, thus occupying my computer).

On PSO, I didn't have many friends, only one person I knew played it (same person that has FFXI for the PC), and I didn't make very many friends on PSO. On FFXI, I know two people that play it, plus I just feel as if there'll be a greater sense of community in FFXI, what with the whole world being open and not limited to four player games.

I'd post a poll with this too, but, um, I just don't see the option...

I'm posting this in both forums so I can get opinions from different sets of people.

Apple
rank 23
Posted:
Tue Mar 09, 2004 7:22 pm
quote : #2
Sounds to me like you already made the descsion.

Whatever came to your mind first (what you thought I thought) is what you really want. Besides, it's obvious that you want it more anyway.

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Tue Mar 09, 2004 9:45 pm
quote : #3
Seems to me like your leaning more towards FFXI. From what you have posted so far, it seems like you should get FFXI. If you absolutly hate the game, you can always stop before the 1st free month is over. And if anything you have a bomb ass 40GB HD that can be used on a ton of new games coming out and to play music off of and shit. So then you could save a little more money and get ep3, if FFXI turns out to be a bust for you.

So I guess get FFXI check it out, if you like it, awsome. If not can always cancel after 1 month and then get PSO Ep3.
rank 21
Posted:
Wed Mar 10, 2004 9:45 am
quote : #4
Apple wrote:
Sounds to me like you already made the descsion.
Whatever came to your mind first (what you thought I thought) is what you really want. Besides, it's obvious that you want it more anyway.

Yea, it does sound that way, now that I read it over, but my main reason for not choosing FFXI entirely over PSO is because, it's PSO! But yea, I think I'm gonna be going with FFXI, thanks a lot for your input, and if it doesn't work out, I can use the money that would have gone towards the monthly fee and put that into PSO. Bah, I just wish FFXI didn't HAVE to come with a harddrive... I already have a perfectly fine 40gb harddrive, I just need the correct software for it...