Page Location: Home > Playstation 2 Lounge > Topic
TheMytho
rank 38
Posted:
Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:12 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
I had a cool idea last night during my drive back up to school. This idea might require you to go out and grab a game if you don't qualify, but if you're like me, you're always looking for an excuse to buy a new game. Smile

In honor of the PlayStation 2's tenth birthday, I'd like to go back and revisit the launch titles that graced the black monolith back on October 26, 2000. Here is a list of launch titles for the system: http://ps2.ign.com/articles/080/080661p1.html

I'd like everyone that wants to participate to play a launch title and post what you think of it now, and what you either thought of it 10 years ago or what you would have thought about it 10 years ago.

I would also like to hear any stories of what you thought of the PS2 back then. Were you going crazy over the hype? Didn't care? Cared, but didn't have the money, just like me? Tell us about it. Personal anecdotes are always fun to read and look back on.

I personally am hoping to buy Gungriffon Blaze in celebration of the PS2. I might also buy some other games, like Tekken Tag Tournament or Ridge Racer V.

I hope that many of you will join me in celebrating one of the most prolific and popular video game consoles of all time! Very Happy

P.S.: Please make your posts on October 26th, 2010. I only posted this so people would have more than enough time to track a launch title down if they didn't have one.
Posted:
Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:53 pm
quote : #2
Cool idea Mr. Green Locked and made this an announcement thread, and I will also add it to the front page in the news sometime this week.

Thread will re-open on Oct. 26th for discussion Cool
rank 14
Posted:
Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:00 pm
quote : #3
I shall review SSX soon enough...
Posted:
Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:30 am
quote : #4
Great thread idea.I actually made a video for this specific moment/thread Embarassed

I do not know how to embed youtube videos on here so I will just post the link...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dzzch1qIiU

I made it on the 26th but youtube was acting funny and would not work properly for me so it did not get uploaded till the 27th Sad.

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:38 am
quote : #5
I ended up playing Dynasty Warriors 2 about a week or so ago. Interestingly enough, I had slightly forgotten about this thread, and ended up putting some time into the game just because I wanted to play it.

I think this game is really interesting for a launch title for a few reasons. It was brand new tech on a brand new console, and the first Dynasty Warriors game to have this type of gameplay style. Its predecessor was a 1 on 1 fighting game, but this one is totally different. The core gameplay of Dynasty Warriors 2 has you on the battlefield, taking on hundreds of enemy soldiers. Fighting this many enemiss, along with the special effects from combo attacks, and draw distance were a perfect recipe for sluggish framerates. DW2 could have easily had framerate problems, but it ends up running at a butter smooth 60fps. The developer, Omega Force, took a stand, and favored performance above all else. They knew 60fps was going to make for a smoother gameplay experience, and they used a few tricks to help the game run at this speed.

One of trick was to only display so many enemies in your immediate view, regardless of how many you were actually fighting. So, you might be fighting 20 enemies, but only 10 were visible. If one died, he would fall over dead and fade from the map, and another enemy would pop into view. You could still attack all of these soldiers they just wouldn't be viewable to you. This really didn't matter much because all you really needed to know is that you were surrounded in all directions and you had to attack in all directions.

While every DW game expanded on this original title, DW2 was such an accessible game. You boot up a map, fight a bunch of dudes, and then do it again. There were no objectives or training exercises. This wasn't a game that I played early on in the PS2's lifecycle. I only found out about the series until years later.

If I was playing this game during the launch of the PS2, it must have been a real treat. I mean just looking at the variety of launch titles. Stuff like Ridge Racer V, DOA2, AC2, Gun Griffon Blaze, Tekken Tag etc etc.... the PS2 really had an amazing set of launch games. While most were sequels to existing franchises, they were at least developed with a high attention to detail, and most of all, performance. Today these games look and play so good, and are a reminder of what I would call the sweet spot for 3D game development, where there was a game running at 60fps coming out every other week.

50% of the launch titles for the PS2 were japanese developed, and almost all of those ran at 60fps.
rank 1
Posted:
Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:00 pm
quote : #6
Type: NTSC
Wow, 10 years, it's hard to believe.