1, 2  Next
lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Sat Sep 25, 2004 12:16 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
One of the biggest hurdles in online gaming via consoles.....is 'match making' lists. They work ok for casual online implimentation. But for 'serious' online gameplay, to really make a game have an impact. Dedicated servers can make all the difference. I don't think TribesAA would have been as vibrant today if it wern't for it having dedicated servers.

StarWars battlfront proves this theory even more. Since the game has been released. The PS2 version has had more gamers playing it online than the PC version. Which is a complete paradox. Here are the stats currently as of this writing:

PS2: 624 servers, 1631 players
PC: 467 servers, 1494 players

All i gotta say about that is...DAMNNN. Crazy numbers. This just shows you what an enormous impact dedicated server software has for online gaming. It can make or break a game.
rank 39
Posted:
Sat Sep 25, 2004 1:48 pm
quote : #2
whoa i thought Pc players would be greater... Thats good to see console gamings is getting popular. The dedicated serves must have helped.
Posted:
Sat Sep 25, 2004 6:08 pm
quote : #3
WOW! I thought i saw a lot of peeps, but i didnt gues it would be that many. I guess thats the reason for the little sliver on the chose server lobby Laughing

*High Score on SWBF* 89 Kills -12 Deaths -19 Captures
Total Time Played: 6 hours and 48 minutes
Total Games: 67
Kills: 722
Deaths: 150
Mir_wan
rank 39
Posted:
Sat Sep 25, 2004 9:26 pm
quote : #4
more ppl should be online when they add patches with lobbies and friends list..

they just have a lil bugs to work out
Posted:
Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:45 pm
quote : #5
Mir_wan wrote:
more ppl should be online when they add patches with lobbies and friends list..

they just have a lil bugs to work out

Yea, I'm surprised they've already released a patch (two, if I remember correctly)! That's AWESOME. I've never seen a patch released that quickly, never.

MICHAE2414
rank 24
Posted:
Sat Sep 25, 2004 11:05 pm
quote : #6
That shows just how dedicated they are to having a quality product - fixing the little things here and there to please the consumer and make the game even better than before. Amazing.
Posted:
Sat Sep 25, 2004 11:19 pm
quote : #7
MICHAE2414 wrote:
That shows just how dedicated they are to having a quality product - fixing the little things here and there to please the consumer and make the game even better than before. Amazing.

LucasArts truly is an awesome company. They've made great games in the past (Sam and Max and Day of the Tenticle come to mind), and still continue to make wonderful games.

Apple
rank 23
Posted:
Sun Sep 26, 2004 9:35 am
quote : #8
The early patch means that they were aware of the problems before release probably.

DietGarfield
rank 11
Posted:
Sun Sep 26, 2004 9:36 am
quote : #9
Its stupid when games need patches. They shoulda just held the release day back a week or so, so people dont need to waste space on their memory card. All these patches could have been done before it was released if they had time. Rushing is bad Surprised
rank 59
Posted:
Sun Sep 26, 2004 9:51 am
quote : #10
DietGarfield. Every single PC video game that ever gets released requires a patch. Once you start releasing the game to millions of gamers, then more glitches or bugs rear their ugly head. It's the way it goes.

But, look at EA Sports, with the madden glitch all they could say to customers was "just turn off the fatigue feature".

Atleast Pandemic integrated features within the PS2 version for patch updates.
rank 23
Posted:
Sun Sep 26, 2004 10:37 am
quote : #11
Solution? USB drive. Sure you can't use it directly in game, but you can use it to store non-patch saves on your computer. I'm thinking about getting one eventually and then hey I could use it to transfer stuff to you guys.

DietGarfield
rank 11
Posted:
Sun Sep 26, 2004 10:45 am
quote : #12
lordnikon. I know patches are usefull, but these ones, for SWBF, could have been easily advoided and released with the game out of the box if they didnt rush to get the game done.
rank 39
Posted:
Sun Sep 26, 2004 11:07 am
quote : #13
well i rather have the game released and one could start playing single player and get a patch then have to wait a few more weeks wanting to play
Posted:
Sun Sep 26, 2004 2:08 pm
quote : #14
DietGarfield wrote:
lordnikon. I know patches are usefull, but these ones, for SWBF, could have been easily advoided and released with the game out of the box if they didnt rush to get the game done.

There are glitches that they don't even know about until millions of gamers start playing. Certain things don't arise until the game is released and the servers are jam-packed full of games.
Posted:
Sun Sep 26, 2004 2:48 pm
quote : #15
lanzarlaluna wrote:
DietGarfield wrote:

There are glitches that they don't even know about until millions of gamers start playing. Certain things don't arise until the game is released and the servers are jam-packed full of games.

And then there are things that playtesters didn't catch because they either a) didn't have enough time, or b) weren't creative enough to try things that may have caused these bugs.