Page Location: Home > Support > LAN Tunneling > Topic
TheMytho
rank 38
Posted:
Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:57 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
I found out from a friend about a new LAN tunneling program called XBSlink. The main benefit to XBSlink is that it is a straight Peer-to-Peer program, unlike Xlink. I have yet to mess with the program, but theoretically, if it actually works well for PS2 games, this could be a good, truly online forever alternative.

My main reason for messing with XBSlink is to try and get ATV Offroad Fury 4 working over a tunneling program. lordnikon and I tried tunneling ATV 4 back when we were experimenting with getting Jak X to tunnel, but nothing came of it. The game simply froze each and every time. It would be not only a personal victory, but a victory for the community if that game was once again playable online.

Here is the link for anyone interested: http://www.secudb.de/~seuffert/xbslink/

EDIT: I just tested this, and you need to use the Jak X/GT4 config file to use this program.
Posted:
Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:59 am
quote : #2
Type: # NTSC-U/C
Quote:
a straight Peer-to-Peer program, unlike Xlink

actually xlink game traffic is peer to peer so this really offers nothing over xlink .. it actually probably causes your computer / internet to use more bandwidth instead of xlink where the orbital servers take care of non game communication.
Posted:
Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:16 pm
quote : #3
Actually, this program allows you to directly connect to another player via an IP address, like Gamer's Internet Tunnel. I don't think Xlink has this feature, but feel free to correct me.
Posted:
Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:27 pm
quote : #4
Type: # NTSC-U/C
you don't need to connect to a specific IP , xlink has its own built in DHCP server and when the console is turned on it picks up an IP from kai which is used to connect to the other person , exactly the same thing.
Posted:
Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:01 pm
quote : #5
It uses a master server and I can say it is easiar to connect to. Direct IP is only and option and you can host your own master server meaning it will always work.
Posted:
Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:37 pm
quote : #6
After some experimentation, I can confirm that ATV Offroad Fury 4 does work with XBSlink. I played this game with a friend for over an hour a few nights ago.

It was great to see this awesome offroad racing game able to be played over the internet once again! Very Happy
Posted:
Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:02 pm
quote : #7
I've been having many problems with Xlink Kai, such as how you must run the program as an administrator. Also, Xlink Kai doesn't work on my laptop if I run it while a bridged network connection is enabled. The official XBSlink FAQ says that running the program as an administrator is, "not recommended," so apparently it's designed to be run as a limited user. I want to test this program to see if there are any problems while using a bridged connection.

Favrenation
rank 6
Posted:
Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:01 pm
quote : #8
I used a bridge connection with the setup. Your best to follow the OC guide here because you probably have to use a static IP.