brockly12345
rank 1
Posted:
Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:03 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: PAL
I tried to go online on SWBF2. it said there was a new patch so i downloaded it. it then said i need to restart to play online. so i did. i tried to go online but it yet again prompted me to download the patch. i restarted my PS2[slim] and checked the memory card. sure enough, the patch was there. i tried deleting it and re-downloading it but no luck. i have had my PS2[slim] for roughly 6 years

No_Limits
rank 14
Posted:
Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:42 pm
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
hmm, I'm not sure what's wrong there to be honest. Neutral I didn't have issues with mine...maybe if you have multiple memory cards, you could try downloading it to a different one. I doubt that would make any difference, but I suppose it's worth a try.
Posted:
Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:33 am
quote : #3
Type: PAL
Most likely to game not понравиласьваша a flash card and it can't from it will be loaded Smile a flash card original? Personally at me at an input didn't download any patches Smile

M3gaManu3l
rank 2
Posted:
Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:13 pm
quote : #4
How do i get the patch?

gsx25
rank 3
Posted:
Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:42 pm
quote : #5
There is no patch for Battlefront 2.

Rapier40
rank 4
Posted:
Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:42 am
quote : #6
You need to get the new dns server numbers, if they still work that is, its been awhile. Try 63.144.111.10 as your primary dns.
Posted:
Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:24 pm
quote : #7
I have been researching this for the past 48 hours. I always thought the recent patch issues people were having were sporadic user dependant problems. Originally SWBF1 had a 1.8MB patch, and SWBF2 never had a patch. This "new patch" is actually no patch at all. It is a forced response due to SWBF 1 or 2 not being able to reach a master list. The software is basically say:

"Oh, I can't reach a master list, you must need a patch... OH... I can't find a patch server, but lets make the patch file on your memory card anyway."

The patch file is actually a 59kb shell, that really doesn't hold any patch data. Its just the wrapper or core file build. Think of the PS2 game providing the bucket to hold the water (with the water being the real Patch executions that would come from Lucas Arts).

It turns out Lucas Arts has dropped support for Star Wars Battlefront 1 and 2:

http://forums.lucasarts.com/ann.jspa?annID=3

Because of this, the SWBF1 patch provided by LucasArts is no longer obtainable, and overwriting your existing patch means you will lose the patch forever as there is no way to get it back. The patch was tied to your console ID. So you can't obtain a copy from someone else.

The domain name for "lucasarts.gamespy.com" has been terminated. As a test I tried redirecting lucasarts.gamespy.com to many different gamespy IP's. Specifically these:

swbfront2ps2.available.gamespy.com 69.10.30.248 (master.gamespy.com)
swbfront2ps2.ms4.gamespy.com 69.10.30.247

But it didn't work. You get the patch download prompt.

However the master lists within gamespy's system are still operational. Its just a matter of hooking the PS2 through to reach them. Some how, someone thought it would be a good idea to cram in an IP address into the primary DNS field on the PS2 to get around this issue. It turns out, this IP address (63.144.111.10) is for a well known PC application for querying master lists called "QTracker".

* Dns resolved master.qtracker.com to 63.144.111.10

Back in 2005 QTracker added support for Star Wars Battlefront:

http://www.swbattlefront.net/2005/11/12/qtracker-adds-swbf2-support/

This was obviously designed for the PC version compatibility, but somehow it works as a fix for the PS2's connection issues.

However through all of my research, 3 things don't add up:

1. How the PS2 community managed to think of adding this IP address into the primary DNS field
2. How an IP address for a master list at Qtracker can be used as a domain name resolver
3. How exactly the PS2 manages to go from accessing QTracker's IP address to reaching it final masterlist destination

I have the packet logs to show what is happening, but I guess it just doesn't add up and I am still scratching my head over it.
rank 4
Posted:
Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:17 am
quote : #8
All I know was it worked pretty good last time me and a friend used that address, hell I even ran a dedicated server for us off my pc useing the ds programs supplied by lucas arts.
Posted:
Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:37 am
quote : #9
You just gave me an idea to attempt something I hadn't tried yet! I need to log network packets to see what the Dedicated Server is doing when it connects. It manages to reach the master list without any redirecting at all.

This means there are 3 testable scenarios:

• Failed connection of a PS2 client with a default config
  • Successfull connection of a PS2 client through the qtracker IP via DNS modification
  • Successfull connection of a Dedicated Server without any modification
rank 4
Posted:
Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:16 pm
quote : #10
I still have all the ds software if you ever need a room ran.
Posted:
Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:27 pm
quote : #11
lordnikon:

Lucas Arts has only discontinued support for Star Wars Battlefront 1 (PS2). Lucas Arts still supports Star Wars Battlefront 2 (PS2) and provides dedicated servers. At any one time, more than 20 servers are available for online play, a few of which are hosted by Lucas Arts.

Even though Lucas Arts no longer supports Star Warts Battlefront 1 (PS2) by hosting servers and the patch, this game still has the potential to be played online by anybody that has the patch. There are many players that still have the patch and there are players that are willing to host servers. The problem is that when a game server is behind a firewall, the game client is not able to establish the correct remote IP address/port in able to make a connection. For some reason, when a game server is connected directly to the internet (not behind a router), not only can the game client connect to that server but to any server on the list even if it is behind a firewall. In other words, there needs to be at least one game server on the master list with a direct internet connection in order to play this game. Star Wars Battlefront 1 players would like onlineconsoles to once again host a game server, this would make online play possible. Would you be willing to once again host a server?