Page Location: Home > Past Online Games > Topic
Isles487
rank 1
Posted:
Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:53 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
It's been years since Resident Evil Outbreak was online in the US, but some of us have been playing online using Japan's KDDI servers ever since. Unfortunately, those servers won't be in existence past June.

I came here to ask you guys about the feasibility of reconstructing some sort of server for Biohazard Outbreak, File 1/2, using packet captures that we can get/already have between now and then.

There is a person that has been doing initial work for this at http://residenteviloutbreakserver.blogspot.com/

I was wondering how feasible this is, and if at all feasible, what kinds of things should we be looking at doing in terms of packet capture? Should we get everything we can get? What do we need to make sure to have between now and the time the servers are terminated?

I appreciate any ideas you guys have, since this game is very important to me and you guys have some experience with online games.

Thanks

teamR@@K!E
rank 6
Posted:
Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:01 pm
quote : #2
I'm not into this game but
its been down for a long time
have you been playing this game online and
what about the other resident games have you tried those too?

I have friends that dig the co op

teamR@@K!E
rank 6
Posted:
Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:27 am
quote : #3
is it easy to use the japan servers for this game or is it tricky?
how did you know to do this?
and how did you find the date that japan will shut it down?

Isles487
rank 1
Posted:
Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:16 pm
quote : #4
Well, to start you'll need either a modded PS2 or a Japanese PS2. From there, it's simply a matter of having the game (Japanese version) and making a KDDI account. KDDI Accounts only take about 5 minutes to make, if that. You have to pay a fee each month, and it's different depending on where you live. There doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason to it.

KDDI made an announcement (in Japanese, of course), that the servers will be brought down on June 30th. KDDI provides multiplayer services for other capcom games in Japan, too, like Monster Hunter.

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:47 pm
quote : #5
Unfortunatly, we don't permit the open discussion of server restoration on the forums. I can provide more info as to why this is if you need clarrification, but its in the rules for a reason.

I will parse this question out to the OF Project FAQ page, but to give you a quick answer: The fact that the game points to a domain name doesn't mean you can run it over a LAN, and disecting the game saves is only going to provide with an understand of the file structure for what is needed to log into the game server. The person at the blogspot link is trying to cut a single blade of grass, blind, and doesn't realize he is in the middle of an entire football field. He doesn't see the big picture.

The entire server infrastructure needs to be reverse engineered from scratch. The chat, the data syncing, the lobby lists, everything. Its not a simple master list. Furthermore, that isn't the hardest part.

You need to get around Sony's encrypted DNAS authentication system. This is the gatekeeper, and unless you can figure this part out, everything else is worthless. Even if you get a server coded, Sony will make changes to DNAS and then it will be down for good.