Topic: The ride is over or is it?

Page 1 of 2
SolidSnake
banned!
Posted:
Tue Mar 16, 2004 1:00 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Lately i havent been playing games which is weird cuz i use to be pretty hardcore when it came to gaming. I just cant get into a game anymore i dont know y. It feels like its just kinda getin a little old all the games seem like there all the same. Maybe im out growing them or sumthing im pretty sure im going to be geting BB soon. Hopfully that will make gaming exiting again. So until then any of you guys know any good games worth buying.
Posted:
Tue Mar 16, 2004 2:10 am
quote : #2
Everyone has their "dry spells", so I wouldn't be all that concerned. The first three months of the year is pretty slow on good releases, but in the next few weeks it will speed up. Did you play a lot of first-person shooters? If so, those can wear out very fast and dull the future gaming expectations when a "cool" FPS title is going to be released; that may cause you to lose some ambition. For example, I was and still am a die-hard Nintendo fan. During the 90's, I had everything that there was for Nintendo. I dispised the PlayStation and Dreamcast, not because they were better than the Nintendo 64, but because they weren't Nintendo. It wasn't until about 1999 when I realized that the Nintendo 64 was losing its appeal to the public and to game publishers. So I gave in and bought a PlayStation. My first game for the PlayStation was Mega Man X4. I got it because I had the first three on the SNES.

I fell in love with the PlayStation and used it all the time. That came to an end when I was playing Metal Gear Solid for several hours and this CD appeared in the corner of my screen. I didn't know what it was for, so I just ignored it. The PlayStation burnt up and died. I called Sony and they said that the CD in the corner meant that the console was hot and needed to be turned off. Well that was too late. I lost complete interest in video games all together for another year. I bought a Dreamcast in the summer of 2000 for the hell of it to see how it was and I loved it (even know I hated Sega at the time since they were a rival to Nintendo). Then I got bored of it for a few months and I thought that my gaming interest was over. That is until the Nintendo GameCube came out. What I am trying to say is that every gamer needs a rest after awhile. That's how we don't get so burnt out so easly. You'll be okay. trust me. Very Happy

TheMytho
rank 38
Posted:
Tue Mar 16, 2004 6:04 am
quote : #3
Type: NTSC-U/C
Looking back through my extensive history of gaming, I don't think I've had a dry spell except for 1998-99 I only had a NES and N64 with two games. My father wouldn't give me my SNES and Genesis after my mother and I moved out of the house. I got both systems back, but ended up selling the SNES, which I still regret to this day.

-Mytho

Sephiroth Sin
rank 6
Posted:
Tue Mar 16, 2004 8:56 am
quote : #4
when sega annoucned they were done making hardware, i thought that was it for me. till then i bought nothing but sega and nintendo hardware (although i didnt want a N64, i couldnt take the muddy graphics and the fact every game HAD to have a 64 in it, heheh) but after a few months, the ps2 came out. i bought it and i havent stopped playing since. i think the only system i played more was the sega genesis. point of the story. youre down, but not out. theres always something new around the corner, whether it be games or systems.
Posted:
Tue Mar 16, 2004 5:15 pm
quote : #5
Ummm... I just got Dynasty Warriors... If you like hack and slash or maybe even if you like fighting games this one is worth a look I think. If you have friends, anything with co-op or decent multiplayer will get you revitalized, otherwise do some single player rentals.

If you can find it, rent Freedom Fighters since the PC demo at least was awesome as far as squad based action. You could try some Ratchet and Clank style, some MMORPG like EQOA, active/peripheral stuff like DDR, Eyetoy, or Karaoke Revolution, there's opportunities for stuff that's more in depth like Armored Core or certain racing games, or any other choices from the huge selection of video games that often seems dwarfed and saturated by the many stream. Just go out and explore the different genres and try different or older games which tend to be better or just as good. Inevitably you'll find a game that fits your style. I like any of the above stuff and more. I have a lot of good multiplayer suggestions, but I'm assuming you're not playing with friends. Also, what do you tend to like?

MasterChief
rank 16
Posted:
Tue Mar 16, 2004 6:02 pm
quote : #6
id say try something different. like me, i was into racing and shooter games almost exclusively so i took a 3 or so year break from video games. i think that the dreamcast saved me in that respect. it had so much variety. chuchu rocket, space channel 5, jet grind radio. these games were soooo unlike what i usually went for. so after that i bought a ps2 and got more into my xbox. so my suggestion is, try somthing different.

RIP Dark Slayer 5000
Memphissss
rank 16
Posted:
Tue Mar 16, 2004 6:45 pm
quote : #7
same here i find myself more on the internet and on my computer making wierd pictures(hints, the constant sig change) and animations i just cnat find a decent game anymore and i cant find a game that is worth playin and i get online to play and everyone is laggin every where and there are a bunch of lilltle kids on there so its not really fun, i dont kno why but i seem to be fallin towards the game rooms that have like bowling, pool, table tennis and various arcade games, could this be the end .......

SolidSnake
banned!
Posted:
Tue Mar 16, 2004 8:54 pm
quote : #8
Yea u guys are right i need to try sumthin different. I think that getin BB will hopfuly put the spice back in gaming for me. Cant wait for killzone now
Posted:
Tue Mar 16, 2004 10:27 pm
quote : #9
SolidSnake wrote:
Yea u guys are right i need to try sumthin different. I think that getin BB will hopfuly put the spice back in gaming for me. Cant wait for killzone now

Getting Broadband made me a online FPS addict. It sucked when I had 56K and couldn't get good pings in games like RTCW and Counter-Strike.

-Mytho

Freshcut_t70
banned!
Posted:
Wed Mar 17, 2004 4:55 am
quote : #10
My suggestion is very simple....buy a new game. This always helped me when i got bored with the many systems i've had ( atari 2600 to XBOX and whole lot of systems in between)

Memphissss
rank 16
Posted:
Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:14 am
quote : #11
Freshcut_t70 wrote:
My suggestion is very simple....buy a new game.

how are you going to tell me or all of us to buy a new game when all games now are similar, do this get this, its getting old and games now just dont feed the fire, until developers make better games and better styles i cant see my self still playing the same games, then there was online play it was nice in the begining but when people started cheating and lil' kids started playin and people are disconnecting from you on madden its just not worth my time so until developers figure out how to improve and figure out how to stop this gaming will always have its "dry spells" and i blame this dry spell on the cheaters little kids and dumb people online that figure they suck at the game let you play half way through the damb thing then disconnect(bastards on madden) ..........

Apple
rank 23
Posted:
Wed Mar 17, 2004 11:14 am
quote : #12
Meph get games that Mytho Nikon and I have and play in games vs us. Also, if you look then you'll see there's still a lot of variety... just make sure you look in the right places.

Memphissss
rank 16
Posted:
Wed Mar 17, 2004 6:44 pm
quote : #13
yeah, i got tribes maybe ill start playin this online again .....

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Wed Mar 17, 2004 9:02 pm
quote : #14
Ok let me break this down for everyone. I have this code of ethics I adhere to when purchasing my games. It involves 2 words.

Replay Value

Let's face it. Most single player action adventure games made these days are cookie cutter titles. Play through it 1 time, beat the game. That's that. There is no incentive to play the game again.

Next up. Computer A.I. just eventually get's dead boring. I think the only computer A.I. i have ever ever ever enjoying playing against competativly was bots in Unreal Tournament.

I buy games with high replay value plain and simple. What are the next 2 games I am buying for the PS2? Gradius V and Serious Sam. Why? First off both games focus on high scores, both are shooters, and Serious Sam has an online mode. Any video game that bases it's gameplay around the highscore, is a game that just doesn't get boring. That is if you arn't a pussy and can take getting your ass kicked constantly trying to better yourself and beat out your previous score. 85% of the games I play are shooters. Either FPS games with online play so I can play against actual human opponents, or another shooter, wether it be third person, topscrolling or side scrolling shootemups.

Wanna know one of my fav games on the PS2? State of Emergency. Why? Shit because you just run around killing shit. Just power on your PS2, but out some KAOS mode, and your having a blast. It's a game you can just pick up and start playing, and also a game you can play over and over and over...because its just fun.

Another point I would like to make is, games that originated in the arcades or are based off of a highscore gameplay system are worth owning for 1 logical reason. How do you make money in the arcades? Gamers have to put in a quarter or 2 to play the machine...how do you get them to keep putting in more money? You have to make the game with good replay value. :]

Ok lets slam on the breaks. Let's say these types of games just arn't your thing, you went down the path before and 'arcade' style games just plain bore you. If you like to play games like Prince of Persia, Splinter Cell, Metal Gear, or your run of the mill platformer....hell even most offline rpg's....just get a subscription to GameFly or another online rental service that lets you rent games over the course of a month.

I find a lot of people just play whatever new games come out, blaze through them, then that's it, they are onto the next game. How many people have gaming collections that just collect dust? Rid yourself of this mayhem and either start buying games you'll play over and over or go with a rental or buyback scenario. If you are going to go the single player adventure route....pick a title you would really get into and possibly play over again a second time. Do research on these types of games to find one that would really suit you.

Ok this part here is just food for thought: You gotta ask yourself one question, are you erally...a...'gamer'? Do you play video games? Sometimes I run across people who talk a ton on gaming forums....look up al the newest games....read up on all the faqs and previews and videos and check out all the latest screenshots. A game gets released they have been dying to get. They purchase the game, then come home play the game for maybe half a day. Then they are back on their PC's looking up some other to be released game, and getting all hyped about that. They don't really play video games, they just get hyped about stuff, its what they do.

Ok well I just ranted to a point where I don't know where I was going with all of thise. I guess I was trying to bring up a lot of points to get people to think more about who they are as gamers.

Posted Wed Mar 17, 2004 9:03 pm:

ok what the hell, I gotta either stop writing posts this long or start some articles page thingy so I don't keep writing these essay-like replies. *lordnikon slaps himself*
rank 23
Posted:
Thu Mar 18, 2004 6:37 pm
quote : #15
lordnikon wrote:
You gotta ask yourself one question, are you erally...a...'gamer'? Do you play video games? Sometimes I run across people who talk a ton on gaming forums....look up al the newest games....read up on all the faqs and previews and videos and check out all the latest screenshots. A game gets released they have been dying to get. They purchase the game, then come home play the game for maybe half a day. Then they are back on their PC's looking up some other to be released game, and getting all hyped about that. They don't really play video games, they just get hyped about stuff, its what they do.

Shocked So you know me well do you? Evil or Very Mad Embarassed Laughing