1, 2  Next
Rapier40
rank 4
Posted:
Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:23 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
Hello there. Me and a friend have been tring to get a T:AA game going but I can no longer reach the master list. 72.232.232.162 and it time's out everytime. Has anyone else had this problem lately?

Rapier40
rank 4
Posted:
Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:30 am
quote : #2
Also tried 72.232.61.106 and it didn't work either.
Posted:
Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:54 pm
quote : #3
Hi Rapier40, the TAA master list is down at the moment. The server company I was hosting with hiked the prices on me so I have to look into an alternative.

I will keep everyone posted. I am going to try and get a new machine up within the week. A new IP address will be posted along with any other necessary instructions.
rank 59
Posted:
Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:30 am
quote : #4
I think I got things squared away with the old host, so now I have the green light to start researching alternative server hosts.

I will keep you guys posted.
rank 4
Posted:
Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:29 am
quote : #5
Awesome nikon I have me and my friend up for games whenever things are ready to go.
Posted:
Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:29 pm
quote : #6
Thank you!

http://www.tribesaa.com
lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:41 pm
quote : #7
I am going to be reviewing new server solutions in the next few days and aim to have TAA's master list back up within the week.
rank 4
Posted:
Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:22 pm
quote : #8
Awesome! Thank you nikon.
Posted:
Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:21 am
quote : #9
Another update: The previous host I was using has finally dropped the invoice from my account. They were trying to charge my for another month when I had already canceled the server.

What this means is that the account at the other server host has now been settled, and I have the green light to check out other server hosts. I am now shopping around for server deals. It might take us some time to find that "sweetspot" in terms of which host we go with. Often times you go with one host, and they are laggy, and you have to switch to another one. The company I was with before was great as far as speed/latency, but they started charging too much money so I had to bail.

UPDATE:
A server has been purchased. I managed to score a deal where we get the same specs as before, with slightly better CPU for $78/mo. The previous company was charging $133/mo, and then upped it to $152/mo. This will bring the yearly server costs to just $936/year. This is a lot easier to swallow. The real issue is that the monthly license for Windows Server 2003 costs $30/mo. I wish I could shift to an all linux setup, but we simply aren't there yet. A bunch of the apps we run would have to be coded to run under Linux (such as the TAA Master List). We will get there eventually to further cut the costs for hosting game services, but for now, we gotta use Windows until we are ready to migrate over to an all Linux setup.

The TAA list and the DNS redirect app needed to play TAA Online will be the first apps I flip on when I can log into the machine. This may take a few days for the host to setup the machine, but at least the first step is done. Thank all for your patience.
rank 6
Posted:
Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:29 pm
quote : #10
Someone I know compiled the TAA master list software on linux . I assume it would run just fine cuz i doubt it has a lot of depencies.

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:43 pm
quote : #11
Well, DreamastTM coded it, so since I work with him, we had ambitions of doing a proper compatibility port with bug testing. The existing src may very well compile just fine on linux, but there may still be come bugs/code optimizations that would need to take place.

Remember there were some mysterious bugs with the TAA master list originally that we had to work out. Also over at the DC site I tried to work with a programmer to get a mod working for Q3 to block PC users, he said it would be fine and didn't need testing, so we tossed it up to get it out quickly, and sure enough there was a bug, and then I had to pull the mod, retract the claim that OC's Q3 servers could repell PC players, and I can't get back in touch with the programmer to repair the mod.

While testing is tedious and time consuming, I always feel it is needed before saying without a doubt that something truly works as it should.

Even if we did get TAA's master list coded to run on linux, we run other windows specific processes that would also need to be migrated to run on linux somehow. So I went with Windows Server 2003 for now, with the goal to do a lot of coding/testing in my local environment to oneday make a full leap to linux.
rank 6
Posted:
Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:11 pm
quote : #12
I agree with that and I i would be happy to test/run it. I think a more open "beta" test would be best though for certain things though.

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:49 pm
quote : #13
Oh yea we did that before, and employed many members of the community to help try and weed out some of the innitial problems with the windows build. You can be certain that we would be doing it again for a new Linux build of the TAA master list.

Also, outside of any app specific testing, I will need to call on the entire community to pitch in testing out the performance of our new server once it is up. I submitted the final paperwork today, so hopefully in the next 48 hours I will gain login access and I can flip on the TAA master list as well as some other services.

This new server is on the East Coast USA. Before it was in Texas. So hopefully this server has better performance for when North America users meet up with any PAL users (this will help DC online more-so).
rank 59
Posted:
Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:05 pm
quote : #14
The new game server is finally online. I will be uploading the 2 applications we run to support Tribes Aerial Assault later ontight, and the OC Master List will be back online. I will provide the new IP address so everyone can update their PS2 configs.

Thank you everyone for your patience and continued support.
rank 1
Posted:
Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:16 pm
quote : #15
Hi,

I just recently dug my PS2 and copy of Taa, ( this was the first online title I ever played and is still one of my favorites), out of storage and am looking to get together with some regulars and play again. Unfortunetly my system is being a little stubborn and does not want to go online. Im going to try and tinker with it tonight and see if I can get it going again. I was wondering if I could find out a time or schedual that everyone gets together for games?