Page 1 of 1
lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:11 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
The sandbox formula has been very appealing to me lately, so I've been playing a lot of Grand Theft Auto 3. It is great being able to play something that doesn't necessarily hold your hand or tell you what to do aside from an occasional beeper message. Sometimes I just like running from the cops or being a taxi driver.

GTA3 is such a well put together package and always felt "just right" in terms of its scope and scale.

So far I am playing my way through the missions again, and am trying to save the hidden packages for last.
rank 1
Posted:
Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:50 pm
quote : #2
Its not a bad game at all. Its amazing how many innovations it made at the time. Considered one of the genre defining games. If you like that you'll love Vice City. That is my personal favorite. Especially the soundtrack. Nothing like that 80s flair.

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:35 am
quote : #3
I might get Vice City someday. I think my interest in GTA sort of starts and ends with these 2 games that are more colorful and less realistic in their approach. The games have "style" and I guess that is what I like about them. San Andreas I will probobly avoid. Its more for hardcore GTA fans.

So, talking about GTA3 here a bit, I found the best place to score insane jumps. I have read on forums where people constantly talk about how hard it is to get perfect triple insane jumps, but in this area, it is pretty easy.

In Torrington, there is a long strip of grass dividers a block or so over from Kenji's. Its almost like playing Tony Hawk or something over there. Grab a Cheetah car, and then floor it around the bend that leads into that area. If you can thread the traffic, get as far as you can and then hit the lip of these dividers (they hook down towards the ground giving you a perfect mini-ramp). I managed to do many perfect triple insane jumps, and you car will spin like fricken crazy. I have an 890 degree spin on my stats now! The only thing I can't seem to crack is 2 flips max. I am trying to get 3 flips, and many times I feel that I do get that but the game doesn't register it correctly. Its almost like I want to get Vice City just to try and do car stunts, because that came extends it to Quadruple Insane Stunts.
rank 11
Posted:
Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:51 pm
quote : #4
I lived with a friend and his family for a while when I was in high school, and I left for a couple of days during Christmas (this was 2001), and when I came back he had a brand new PS2 and Grand Theft Auto III. I was so jealous.

He got the system and the game, but he didn't get a memory card, so he wasn't able to save. He ended up leaving his PS2 on so he wouldn't lose his progress. His dad was in the next room and tripped the breaker on accident and cut the power to half of the house after the third day.

I had played the original GTA, as well as the London 1969 expansion pack on the PS1, but seeing a living city in full 3D was completely incredible. These days the Liberty City map from GTA III is just a fraction of the size of your average sandbox game map, but at the time it felt indescribably enormous. You could just drive around and get completely lost, and then have your mind blown when you realize that the starting area is just one of three.

One thing I liked about GTA III is that it rewarded exploration. I'm the kind of gamer that can take hours just running around a sandbox map just to see what's there, and it seemed like GTA III was really good about throwing you a hidden package or a health icon/police bribe whenever you found yourself in a really cool area that was off the beaten path.

If you like the environment of GTA III you can always pick up the PS2 version of Liberty City Stories. It takes place a few years before GTA III and stars a different character, so it's pretty cool to see how your actions in LCS change the city into the one you eventually start off in in GTA III.

The way they explain the differences can be pretty amusing, too. There are motorcycles in LCS, but not in GTA III. The manual for LCS reads like a newspaper, and one of the articles talks about how motorcycles are incredibly dangerous and that the people are trying to get them banned. By the time GTA III happens chronologically, they have been successful, and there are no motorcycles on the streets.