Page 1 of 1
lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:27 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
So I bought this PS/2 port keyboard and mouse adapter for the Playstation 2 thinking it would be FPS heaven:

http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=400265#p400265

It turns out it wasn't, which is no fault of the device itself, but rather the games. The games had their aiming all tweaked for analog controller sticks. Which means there is "smoothing" and sometimes pinched 360 degree aiming where its more cross like. Basically, mapping the mouse didn't work well for games like Tribes, Project Snowblind, etc. Maxing out the aiming sensitivity didn't get it close enough to the PC experience, and the smoothing killed it.

The smart joy frag is a bust on the PS2.

So I was watching some videos on youtube of Quake 2 on the PS1 (I have been getting big into Q2 lately). Then it dawned on me...

The PS1 has a mouse, which I own, and a lot of games support it. While the PS1 has no keyboard, the SmartJoy FRAG would allow you to have one! So this marriages the PS1's native mouse, with the SmartJoy FRAG's ability to map controller keys to the keyboard.

I am really excited to test this out. Just imagine if you route the PS2 (running PS1 games) to a VGA monitor via an XRGB-3. This could be a neat little setup! Very Happy
rank 59
Posted:
Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:35 pm
quote : #2
I just wanted to let people know that this does indeed work. Using the SmartJoy Frag you can get a proper PC experience with PS1 games that support the native PS1 mouse. I tested it out with Quake 2 and it works great.

Command and Conquer would be pretty sweet using this setup with the link cable.
rank 11
Posted:
Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:56 pm
quote : #3
That is awesome. Quake II on the PS1 is a pretty killer port, but I always stuck with using a controller instead of grabbing a mouse because I didn't think that the "One hand using a mouse, one hand awkwardly holding a controller" setup would be comfortable. I thought maybe laying the controller down and then positioning my fingers over the D-pad as if it were a modified WASD might work, but never got around to grabbing a mouse to check. Having an actual keyboard would be the best solution.

I remember the review for Alien Resurrection mentioning that using the mouse made the game much better, so that might be one to check out if you haven't yet. It's probably tied with the original Medal of Honor for most atmospheric PS1 game for me. Very difficult though.

There are plenty of lists of games with PS1 mouse support, but I figured I'd mention that Policenauts supports it as well. While it never made it to the US, there is a translation patch for the Japanese version.

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:05 pm
quote : #4
It would have been cool if Hexen supported it.

So I guess Alien Resurrection is the only other FPS. I think the next big wave of games that benefit are the RTS games (of which there are numerous), and maybe Sim City 2000?