Page Location: Home > FFXI: The Final Year > Topic
lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Mon May 18, 2015 2:08 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
After a lot of hard work, my video capture setup is working. It is a modest setup for recording SD content. Here are the details:

• I am using a splitter to split an s-video signal to the TV and to the capture card.
  • ATI TV Wonder Elite "Remote Control Edition", a 2005 era SD Capture card.
  • Recording at 640x480 resolution
  • Encodes straight to MPEG2 with hardware encoding
  • Writing about an hour's worth of recording at a time to a iRAM 4GB RAMDisk (zero cost drive writes).

This will be used to record hundreds of hours of online gameplay of FFXI running on the PS2. I am planning to record in 1 hour chunks, as this very neatly fills the RAMDisk space. After each hour is recorded, I can shuffle the data off to an archive drive.
rank 34
Posted:
Mon May 18, 2015 4:49 pm
quote : #2
You know i got to ask... can you record tribes Question

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Mon May 18, 2015 6:36 pm
quote : #3
It is possible for me to record other games, including Tribes. However right now this setup is for archival purposes. Content will be distributed in the future, but at the moment thats not part of the process. I could record Tribes, but I have no idea when it would be put up online somewhere for people to view or download.

Recording and storing the video is one thing, but running channel on a streaming service is another entirely. I would also need more bandwidth at my home connection to push out the data in a fast way. Right now betweem my home DSL and Phone, I am max'd out with my archival preservation tasks. I have data routing down over these devices almost 24/7.

I could record Tribes if you want, but I won't be able to distribute the videos for some time.

For Final Fantasy XI I even have to edit the videos down, as I might be online chatting with a friend talking about all types of stuff that I wouldn't want circulated publically. So even that content will involve post production work before it can be made available.
rank 19
Posted:
Mon May 18, 2015 7:14 pm
quote : #4
lordnikon wrote:
For Final Fantasy XI I even have to edit the videos down, as I might be online chatting with a friend talking about all types of stuff that I wouldn't want circulated publically. So even that content will involve post production work before it can be made available.

unknown player wrote:
Things were going well until Leroy Jenkins showed up, what should have been a 45 minute raid turned into 3 and half hours of all sorts of heck that I can't mention..

Sorry I couldn't resist Mr. Green
lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Tue May 19, 2015 7:25 am
quote : #5
LOL!

At least my capture card setup would be working though, to capture Leroy pulling his antics in FFXI Wink