Page 1 of 1
TheMytho
rank 38
Posted:
Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:35 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
I recently pulled this one off the shelf again due to a friend's insistence. Back when I got this game in 2009, I basically played up to a certain point and quit due to a lack of experience with the actual combat mechanics. I was also save scumming a lot, which made the game far more stressful than fun. Now that I'm older and more patient, I delved back into Way of the Samurai and refreshed my memory through the tutorial mode. My friend also cleared up a few aspects about the game, mainly with the game structure and how time passes in the world.

For those unaware of the game, Way of the Samurai takes place in a small village in Japan during the Meiji era. The samurai's status in society is increasingly eroding due to the government adopting Western military practices. As a wandering samurai, you enter the aforementioned small village, which is teetering on the cusp of an all-out turf war between two rival families. The game takes place over two days in this village, with your character playing a pivotal role in the events that transpire over this period. While the actual length of the game is only 2-3 hours long, replay is highly encouraged due to the inclusion of multiple endings, branching paths, and a weapon upgrade system. Right now, I've earned 5 of the 6 endings, with a clear idea of how to achieve the sixth. I've also maxed out the life bonus on my sword and started upgrading a backup.

The most pertinent advice I can impart to new players is to resist the temptation to play on Easy and embrace death. You likely won't earn an ending during your first several attempts. Lean on your allies and if presented with the chance to escape from a precarious situation, take it. Learn where all the healing items are in each level and maximize their usage.
Posted:
Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:06 pm
quote : #2
What is "save scumming" ?
rank 19
Posted:
Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:07 pm
quote : #3
I was wondering the same thing when you I was reading the thread. so I searched and this is what I got:

Quote:
Old, old method of playing games. Basically, you save the game whenever you get a result you like (or before you face a risk), and restore the saved game whenever you get a result you don't like.

from tvtropes http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SaveScumming

I could be wrong set the record straight TheMytho.
TheMytho
rank 38
Posted:
Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:42 am
quote : #4
You're correct DaMan. I was reloading my save stored on a second memory card whenever I received an undesired result.