1, 2  Next
Deez
rank 7
Posted:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:38 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: VA
Is it possible to host an AADS server without lag & packet loss anymore ? Asking for a friend
rank 59
Posted:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:58 pm
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
My current theory is that an update somewhere between Service Pack 1 and Service Pack 3 of Windows XP caused AADS to have packet loss problems (which extended to future editions of windows). I have a Windows XP disc pre SP1, so I can step upward through versions to isolate when AADS broke. This has to be tested and verified. At the moment I don't have the local or remote virtualization infrastructure available to rapidly test this.
rank 59
Posted:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:08 pm
quote : #3
A bit of an update here. In the spring, I put a testing machine together which is serving many needs pertaining to console gaming. One of which, is figuring out the problems with AADS.

I first ran into issues with AADS on Windows Server 2003 many years ago. I remember getting rather irate with Server Beach over the matter, and canceled my server with them unaware it was a problem between AADS / Windows, rather than there network lol.

So now that I have this machine, I can test out AADS in:

Windows XP (no service pack)
Windows XP SP1
Windows XP SP3

I can't remember if I can also test SP2 or not.

This will reveal where the latency problems are cropping up for AADS.

I will also try to test in Win 7 32bit and 64bit as well.

When this work is complete we will have two outcomes:

1.) We will know when AADS windows compatibility broke
2.) We will have an AADS server in the master list, available so people can apply CHAT-TEST to new saves to take advantage of the additional custom control schemes. Users can't obtain these control schemes without connecting to an AADS server.

PS. The new test/research rig I built actually took 2 months to build, due to parts some older parts failing, research time required to learn about LGA775 motherboard features, cooling issues on an extreme series chip I had, and a defective PC case....*whew*. Its working great now though Smile
rank 1
Posted:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:26 pm
quote : #4
Quick question, where can i find a link for the AADS server download? I have been looking and can't seem to find it.

R

koss
rank 9
Posted:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:04 pm
quote : #5
Fuck yeah man, glad to see someone is trying to make progress on AADS! Wish I could be more help!

Deez
rank 7
Posted:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:51 pm
quote : #6
Type: VA
Nikon, any update on AADS? Got some interest in the Facebook group & people ready to help out
rank 59
Posted:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:06 pm
quote : #7
I have no new information on AADS compatibility. A very large server testing phase is going to start soon which seeks to answer questions about AADS stability issues.
rank 59
Posted:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:12 pm
quote : #8
Azrial reached out to me about AADS, and while i could have responded via PM, in the spirit of open collaboration I want to respond here:

Documentation has not been written yet to get you to a successfully running AADS server. It needs to be written, and I plan on writing it, I am just backlogged with some huge tasks that have taken me months. I have also been planning a site-wide revamp of OC, which should be launching in mid-summer.

There is a bug in AADS which causes latency to the point of making the game unplayable. This surfaced in a Windows patch, but we don't know when/where it occurred.

Basically you have to step through Windows XP from the first version which was pre-SP1, then iterate through each major service pack (SP1, SP2, and SP3) to see which version will run AADS without the latency bug. Plus you have to reproduce the latency bug to even know what to look for (I saw it while running Windows Server 2003). I have a copy of the very first pirated Windows XP, from pre-launch, along with all the files needed and the VM infrastructure here and multiple PS2's and copies of Tribes, and working network emulation to do the testing necessary. Plus I am in regular contact with the author of the TAAML master list. Adjustments to the master list may be required for AADS compatibility.

I am planning on addressing this soon, but I am working on another project at the moment. A return to console server research is next up on my task queue, and AADS testing is the first thing on the list, ahead of all other OC site development, or other server testing. TAA infrastructure testing is the first task on the OC todo list. I just have to wrap up this current project, and then boot up my testing rig which already has all the tooling in place to get this sorted out.
rank 3
Posted:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:03 pm
quote : #9
I set up a pc with windows server 2012 r2. The tribes aads program runs but it wouldn't show up on the list on the server you have set up. So I assume I either need the correct place to route it to. By changing the web address on it. Or the ports are blocked on the server for it to be able to come through. I'm not a network guru. So I am just trying to learn. If you have any pointers lmk. I have a few copies of windows xp. I will buy a super old pc if necessary.

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:50 pm
quote : #10
TAA on PS2 has a combined LAN/Online mode. Servers hosted locally will show up in in your PS2's master list, but may not show up in the remote master list if there is a problem. This means isolation is required in order to troubleshoot Master List issues.

For sure, the AADS server should appear on your PS2 if the machine hosting the server and the PS2 are on the same local network.

TAAML compatibility is seperate issue, but I have a feeling AADS servers currently won't list in the TAAML instance OC is currently hosting. Due to either conflcts with the VM's port configuration (security), or AADS straight up not being compatible with TAAML.

A physical machine of a certain age is not required for AADS. It will run just fine on an OS running from a virtual machine.
rank 3
Posted:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:26 am
quote : #11
We were having issues with seeing each others games the other day hosted from our discs. I had 2 other people wanting to play. Both of which I helped get online and set up port forwarding. Has there been any changes server side? We could all see the master list but I don't think it was forwarding properly. I even went in and checked all the settings on my end.

Snafu Organizer
rank 34
Posted:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:31 pm
quote : #12
You had two other people to join when you tried to host and you didn't post in public? Why not? Anytime you host or try to, you should post in public that you're doing so.

Who else was joining you?

Azrial
rank 3
Posted:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:53 pm
quote : #13
Ibkillinu and my brother. We tried to get kyrosis but he was at work.

Snafu Organizer
rank 34
Posted:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:43 pm
quote : #14
Ya, the next time you're going to try to host, post in public the time and day you're going to do so and give at least a 12 to 24 hour heads up when you do so.

Don't just say, I'm going to be trying this out in the next 10 minutes, give at least 12 to 24 hour notice in public so people don't have to login.

I have a 100 percent success rating of hosting through my ps2, so I don't know what your problem is or was

Azrial
rank 3
Posted:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:25 pm
quote : #15
A few people are wanting to get on today.