Page 1 of 1
lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:44 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
I powered off my PS2 console last night shortly after 4am. At 9am this morning FFXI is supposedly down for maintenance in order to turn off support for the PS2 platform. So if they started this maintenance on time then the game is now dead for PS2.

I managed to record over 150GB of MPEG-2 SD video footage while playing with TheMytho this month. I could not have seen and recorded as many interesting things without his help. He was a higher level char at 99. Aside from his level and general knowledge of the game, the fact that he was playing on the PC and had the in-game maps for all areas (which costs money), and a mini-map plugin, allowed us to traverse the world in a way that simply would not be possible had I been adventuring alone, or if we were both on PS2 consoles.

While playing the PS2 version, I can say with certainty that I would not want to continue playing on the platform long term. The PS2 version suffers from an obnoxious amount of lag and hitching, especially in deep cave-like areas. Sometimes the game would be running as a slideshow, and I could not access any of the ingame menus to attack enemies or access in-game warp points. It definatly soured me on wanting to log any network packets or preserve the functionality of the PS2 client (though there are so many roadblocks like DNAS, the need for an official HD, and the inability to propogate patch data from one users client to other users in the future). I for the most part play the PS2 version, but certain areas or large clusters of characters loading in a hub area like Jeuno would slow the game to a crawl. This did not seem to be a network problem as all platforms (interestingly enough) are rate limited to 56k, regardless of broadband connectivity. It seemed to be some sort of rendering glitch on the PS2 codebase itself.

As for the video footage I have saved, I have no idea when this will become public or where it will be stored. I do know that simply throwing it up in a youtube account isn't really what I want to do. That might be part of the final distribution plan, but ideally, a large torrent and storing it at Archive.org are more important methods for making this data available to the public.

I am really glad that I put the time in this month to play FFXI. My character leveled from 12 to 37, I saw a lot of the game on my PS2 hardware and it was a blast.

I plan on continuing to play on the PC platform well into the future. Seeing how much lag I got on the PS2 version, I am definatly excited to get this game up and running on the PC platform.
rank 59
Posted:
Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:12 am
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
I totalled up the hours, and I recorded 51 hours of FFXI running on PS2. Smile
rank 19
Posted:
Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:21 pm
quote : #3