Page Location: Home > Tribes Aerial Assault > Topic
lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:19 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
Below are some recommended guidelines I think we should follow when hosting servers online. Mainly this relates to preserving match flow while still granting the server host the power to tweak the experience throughout a multi-hour game session. Please feel free to comment on what has been detailed below, or add any additions or tweaks you feel are needed.

Try your best to execute the following operations within the first 40 seconds of a match:

• Killing all bots to have a Human only round.

• Moving players across teams for balance. - If a new player joins late and the teams are lopsided based on player count or experience, let the match continue as is. Also, let's put some responsibility on the player to change teams if there is a 3 vs 1 scenario.

• Changing a game mode or overall server configuration, thus restarting a server.

General Guidelines:

• Map votes: (execute within the first 70% of a match)

If a match is 10m, votes should not happen when there is 3m or less of play left. If 20m, then not when there is 6m or less.

Doing so invalidates the experience, making it seem like the fun we just had was deemed unworthy by the host. Sometimes the match is turning out to be boring, or a bunch of players left. Still, in the spirit of preserving flow, lets keep playing and wait until the next round to make changes.

• Avoid re-calling a map vote after a vote has failed if playing with 6 humans or less. Respect the players decision to want to finish the match. 7 or more players constitutes enough to engage in a more competative re-voting process.

• Avoid "a reset to zero" situation by restarting a match once it has already started, even if you are trying to kick off a fresh start after moving players around teams.

A lot of mental exertion is performed during the start of a match. Players scramble to lay mines, install remote inventory stations, get their equipment loaded out, etc. To go through all of this, only to have your efforts suddenly cut off with a server restart can be disorienting and mentally taxing.

At the end of the day, people are free to do as they wish. These are just recommendations.
rank 34
Posted:
Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:35 pm
quote : #2
Votes are always open 24/7, no time limit and never will be. Host should not just change maps in the middle of a game and just let the voting decide. Host should figure out how to balance teams, like number of players and switch them around, but only at the beginning of a game. Sometimes players are unaware when to change to make teams balanced and i say let the host do it. It is good, when you have late joiners, to start the map fresh, with in a period of time, like with in the first five minutes, is fine. If one side kicks ass in one game then the host should mix up the teams in the next match. People are free to switch teams, but if it is unbalance, then host should switche them back. People that want to switch teams should only do it at the beginning of the match to see what the host thinks and does. Player on player, with no bots, should be even or just add one bot, and at least three on three or maybe two on two. There was never a three on one today. It was 2 on 3 or 3 on 2.

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:37 pm
quote : #3
Type: NTSC-U/C
Snafu Organizer wrote:
Votes are always open 24/7, no time limit and never will be. Host should not just change maps in the middle of a game and just let the voting decide.

Ok I will remove this one from the list.

Snafu Organizer wrote:
Host should figure out how to balance teams, like number of players and switch them around, but only at the beginning of a game. Sometimes players are unaware when to change to make teams balanced and I say let the host do it.

I agree, but I think there should be a time cutoff for when this should transpire. If I have been playing already for over 3 minutes, setting up base defenses, it really sucks to suddenly get flung over to the other team.

Snafu Organizer wrote:
It is good, when you have late joiners, to start the map fresh, with in a period of time, like with in the first five minutes, is fine.

I really disagree with this. I understand what a reset of the match is trying to accomplish. I guess for me personally, this highly dissorienting. I don't know when or if its going to happen, and I don't know if I should wait, or exert energy at the start of a match to be competative. When this happens too often, there is too much context switching going on, and I lose motivation to continue playing.

Snafu Organizer wrote:
If one side kicks ass in one game then the host should mix up the teams in the next match.

Yes I agree. Overall in the matches you have hosted you have done a great job of not only keeping things balanced in terms of percieved skill, but also switching the teams up for variety.

Snafu Organizer wrote:
People are free to switch teams, but if it is unbalance, then host should switch them back. People that want to switch teams should only do it at the beginning of the match to see what the host thinks and does. Player on player, with no bots, should be even or just add one bot, and at least three on three or maybe two on two.

Yes I agree with all of this, the host should be able to intervene when there is monkeying around.

Snafu Organizer wrote:
There was never a three on one today. It was 2 on 3 or 3 on 2.

I know I was just giving an example, that if it did result in a 3 on 1 by chance (which it doesn't usually), to just let the match ride out for the sake of flow.
rank 9
Posted:
Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:05 am
quote : #4
Im with Lord Nikon, I don't think we need to restart the game when new players join. I don't like having my work undone just because someone new joined the game. I also don't mind joining a game thats already in progress and starting out with an uneven score.

I like having the teams changed up when we play, so the teams aren't stacked and half the players wind up on the losing team all night. That sucks when it happens (in any game) and makes you want to quit.

I don't care about voting or when it takes place. If people want to change maps, they should vote, and anyone who doesn't want to change can vote no. The issue takes care of itself.

I want to pitch the idea that with 3 or less players we should avoid team games like TDM, CTF, and CNH and instead opt for DM and Hunters. 4 to 6 players makes the option for TDM and some smaller CNH maps much more viable. I think CTF would be best with 8+ players (teams of 4+) and that if we do CTF with less than that, we should add bots so teams have at least 4 players. Tribes is just too complex to play CTF with 2v2. There are too many roles for players to fill, and it just winds up being no fun, and impossible to make a comeback once your flag gets capped repeatedly and your base is completely disrupted etc. Not to mention it inevitably ends up in arduous standoffs with the cappers camping/turtling and the game going nowhere fast.

Just a thought, of course, I'm open to hearing what everyone else thinks.

Snafu Organizer
rank 34
Posted:
Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:55 am
quote : #5
So don't change the map just because of a late joiner. I do like to do that on the first match because people are a little late and i already started the match with no one in. When i switch game styles, i like to wait for everyone to join again and then restart the map. If a late joiner joins and him or i want to reset the map then i can just vote and let the voting decide. Host should never go against the vote. I do have the voting percentage set up the way i like it so the no vote is a little stronger, for one on one at least.

Sanctuary is in for next time.