Topic: Stupid Sony

Page 1 of 1
Dark Slayer 5000
rank 15
Posted:
Fri Mar 26, 2004 2:17 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Ok, I just got my HDD/FF:XI in the mail today and was very excited about it. So after I got all the hardware installed, I inserted the setup disc. Well of course my PS2 would not read it because it was blue-bottom. I was outraged; and am not going to take apart my PS2 again just to clean the lens and etc. I called Sony and they said, "I'm sorry but we cannot guarantee anything at the moment, but you may want to consider buying another PS2." Enraged by her ingorance, I hung up on her. I'm not going to do that scotch tape thing on the CD because I don't want to ruin it, and I don't want to buy another PS2 just to make Sony's pocket book bigger and mine smaller. What should I do?

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Fri Mar 26, 2004 2:21 pm
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
Did you fiddle with the little white gear?

http://www.tweak3d.net/articles/ps2repair/

Try this tutorial if you havn't yet. This is what should fully fix your disc read errors.

What's even wierder is, that support lady should have directed you to a phone number you can call, to get your PS2 serviced for free. I read on gamespot forums that sony is repairing all PS2's regardless of the warranty expiring, because of all the hardware problems.

I'll look for it later when I am on gamespot.
rank 15
Posted:
Fri Mar 26, 2004 2:28 pm
quote : #3
Wow, thank you Lordnikon! I presume that I will be operating on my PS2 tonight. And about the white gear, no I did not tinker with it. That lady that I spoke with acted like she was about to get off of work and wanted me to get out of her face. I probably made the mistake of raising my voice at her. lol

kodabb51
rank 9
Posted:
Fri Mar 26, 2004 7:07 pm
quote : #4
yea i posted dat sony repairs dem for free but no one cared lol...there is a faq for it here i sent my ps2 in last year and (bought it december of 2000)..it really is free Smile i just had to pay for shipping it to them..they ship it back for free

Dark Slayer 5000
rank 15
Posted:
Fri Mar 26, 2004 9:26 pm
quote : #5
kodabb51 wrote:
yea i posted dat sony repairs dem for free but no one cared lol...there is a faq for it here i sent my ps2 in last year and (bought it december of 2000)..it really is free Smile i just had to pay for shipping it to them..they ship it back for free

That's great, I'll have to look into that; what was the turn-around time?

Suppa Buddha
rank 7
Posted:
Fri Mar 26, 2004 10:10 pm
quote : #6
Awesome you got FFXI. What sever are you heading to?
Memphissss
rank 16
Posted:
Fri Mar 26, 2004 11:52 pm
quote : #7
man that cray why would someone want to rip open thier ps2 like that i dont understand why they do that when they can just get it fixed for free ....

Dark Slayer 5000
rank 15
Posted:
Fri Mar 26, 2004 11:59 pm
quote : #8
Memphissss wrote:
man that cray why would someone want to rip open thier ps2 like that i dont understand why they do that when they can just get it fixed for free ....

It's called laziness my friend, laziness. lol Very Happy

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Sat Mar 27, 2004 12:04 am
quote : #9
Type: NTSC-U/C
Some people might actually enjoy repairing their PS2's. I personally love breaking things open and fixing them. Then I learn more Very Happy
rank 16
Posted:
Sat Mar 27, 2004 1:56 am
quote : #10
im a cheap person and i cant seem to bere ripping somthing open that i payed $299 for i meen i like to fix things on my own but thats why there are people out there that do things perfessionaly and that is why you pay the extra 50 bucks for the insurance .....

Apple
rank 23
Posted:
Sat Mar 27, 2004 9:10 am
quote : #11
I fixed mine (once waranty was up) it fixed a Tribes disc I thought was dead. THe only problem was the lens.

martianviking
rank 9
Posted:
Sat Mar 27, 2004 8:20 pm
quote : #12
Also, they may not be willing to repair a PS2 if the warranty sticker is tampered with. I bought my first PS2 used, and its warranty sticker had already been removed. I'd love to send it in for repair, but I can't since the warranty sticker is missing.

(And if anyone who is lucky enough to have an intact warranty sticker is having trouble with that GameFAQs Sony repair link, just go to gamefaqs.com, click on "Systems" in the upper left corner, then "PlayStation 2," and then "PlayStation 2 Hardware FAQs." Finally, click "Disc Read Error Sony Repair FAQ." That should get by the GameFAQs link prohibition system.)

Perhaps I'll try this self-repair this weekend. Thanks for the link.