Topic: Sony is suing Rockstar

Page 1 of 2
SolidSnake
banned!
Posted:
Wed Mar 31, 2004 11:57 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
I just saw it on cnn that Sony is suing Rockstar games for not following the contract they had. Apparently Rockstar thought they had a loophold in the contract but they were wrong.
It seems that sony is suppose to have the rights to all GTA games until 2005 this excludes PC versions. Rockstar is threating to remove the GTA serise from the PS2 altogether if sony dosnt drop its suit. If this happens we can kiss San Andreas goodbye and by the looks of things Sony dosnt want to back down. Sony said "Microsoft is making money off of 1 of our games that we own the rights to and we wont stand for it"
Rockstar said "We want 2 do whats best for are counsoumers and thats what we will base are decision on" I guess Sony is mad that Microsoft had 2 pay so little while Sony had to dis out big bucks for the rights.
Posted:
Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:22 am
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
I am prepared to get stones slinged at me, but I really want the GTA series to move off the PS2 and go back to PC. So much more could be done with the games if the base coding was done on PC.

-Mytho

SolidSnake
banned!
Posted:
Thu Apr 01, 2004 3:51 pm
quote : #3
Shocked u would rather have it on PC
Posted:
Thu Apr 01, 2004 5:21 pm
quote : #4
SolidSnake wrote:
Shocked u would rather have it on PC

As would I. Like TheMytho said, they could do so much more, especially with a harddrive. They could have downloadable cars/missions. Multiplayer (heck, even LAN would be awesome).

Apple
rank 23
Posted:
Thu Apr 01, 2004 5:26 pm
quote : #5
There's a MP Vice City mod.

martianviking
rank 9
Posted:
Thu Apr 01, 2004 7:01 pm
quote : #6
Yes, but I see what they're getting at. It's like what Tecmo says about Dead or Alive; they're not going to put DoA: Ultimate on every system because they like what Xbox can do. They are against coding for the lowest common denominator and then just trying to "fix it up" with whatever leftover power they can when they bring it to more powerful consoles.

I am definitely a fan of bringing games out on as many consoles as possible (and putting in cross-console multiplayer, if possible), but I understand what Tecmo is saying there. They want to code from the beginning for the best possible experience, so that's what they're doing. They don't have to worry about "oh, how are we going to get that to work on a console without this much power." They can just go ahead and code the way they want to.

The same could be said for bringing out a game strictly on PC. I don't want companies to move to start doing that, but I understand the desire to do so.
Metal_4evr
rank 7
Posted:
Thu Apr 01, 2004 9:52 pm
quote : #7
The GTA series should move back to the PC. I Prefer the aiming system on the PC versions of 3 and Vice City because you can shoot at specific stuff and run at the same time while on PS2 you only have auto target and manual aim on a few guns but you can't run while manually aiming.

SolidSnake
banned!
Posted:
Thu Apr 01, 2004 11:30 pm
quote : #8
Yo guys this was an April fools joke i wanted 2 see how many of yall would get worried. But i guess u guys really dont like it on Ps2 and would rather have it on PC not the reaction i expected oh well.
Posted:
Fri Apr 02, 2004 2:33 am
quote : #9
Oh you BASTARD!!!!!
funny though.

RIP Dark Slayer 5000
Apple
rank 23
Posted:
Fri Apr 02, 2004 5:14 am
quote : #10
SolidSnake wrote:
Yo guys this was an April fools joke i wanted 2 see how many of yall would get worried. But i guess u guys really dont like it on Ps2 and would rather have it on PC not the reaction i expected oh well.

I'm surprised it's not true.

Dark Slayer 5000
rank 15
Posted:
Fri Apr 02, 2004 7:13 am
quote : #11
Actually, there is some truth to this. Sony and Take-Two Interactive, the parent company of Rockstar North, were recently in a conflict because GTA was moved to the Xbox. Sony said that it was supposed to be an exclusive to their console and that it was a breach of contract. Take-Two said that there was no contract, but Sony was still pissed. The part about them being sued is phoney, though. Very Happy

Source: GameSpot

SolidSnake
banned!
Posted:
Fri Apr 02, 2004 6:24 pm
quote : #12
U know i think i did hear about that somewhere but i wouldnt really miss the GTA series on PS2 im not really a big fan anymore i kinda moved on. Now im startin to see what the PC could do for it or at least a next generation console. The really need 2 quit making GTA games for PS2 and wait till PS3 before all hype dies down which it already is starting to do. More and more of my friends are now saying the GTA kinda suxs they really need to do somthing new.
Posted:
Fri Apr 02, 2004 6:32 pm
quote : #13
SolidSnake wrote:
U know i think i did hear about that somewhere but i wouldnt really miss the GTA series on PS2 im not really a big fan anymore i kinda moved on. Now im startin to see what the PC could do for it or at least a next generation console. The really need 2 quit making GTA games for PS2 and wait till PS3 before all hype dies down which it already is starting to do. More and more of my friends are now saying the GTA kinda suxs they really need to do somthing new.

Exactly. With all of the GTA spin-offs that have been released (most of them better than GTA itself), the hype has been lowered. I'm not all that excited about the new GTA game that is due out later this year. Confused

SolidSnake
banned!
Posted:
Fri Apr 02, 2004 7:40 pm
quote : #14
Me2 i hate to admit it but i think true crime was better and im not really even condsidering buying the next GTA either i sold both GTA3 and Vice CIty (which i really disliked) i would always tell ppl that GTA3 was better because when u played that u wanted to keep playing it was sumthing new. But Vice City i just beat the missions and that was it 2 me there was no replay value. Sure killing ppl for noreason was fun for a while but if u really thing about it its pretty stupid. O and can u Believe there coming out with a new state of emergancy now that game was horrible no thought needed in playing it and so fuckin repetitive. Rockstar im tellin yall wait until the next generation consoles.
Posted:
Fri Apr 02, 2004 10:21 pm
quote : #15
SolidSnake wrote:
Me2 i hate to admit it but i think true crime was better

Foh shizzle mah nizzle. I just beat the game, but I must say the plot and main character were better than any of the GTA games.

-Mytho