Page 1 of 2
TheMytho
rank 38
Posted:
Sun Jul 20, 2003 12:59 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
So.... It was a Friday night. I was at Movie Gallery (Blockbuster is too far away). I decided to rent ATV Offroad Fury 2. My second pick was Tony Hawk 4, but I could only have one game.

I'll always regret renting ATV Offroad Fury 2. Crying or Very sad

The racing itself is alright, but the half-assed tricks just made me cry. I went through the whole trick set in one race. Laughing

Then I focused squarly on the racing. It was decent, but nothing that made me think "Woah! I want an ATV!"

As time went on however, the racing just got very bland and repetitive. "Sweet. I get to race on a track that's similar to the last one." Rolling Eyes

I didn't try the online mode, but when a game is this boring, an Online Mode can't save it.

Brothers and sisters, forget ATV Offroad Fury 2. This game is one of the worst racing games I've ever played. You know a game sucks when the coolest thing about it is how the ATV gets dirty during the race.

DO NOT Try, and DO NOT Buy.

-Mytho

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Mon Jul 21, 2003 12:41 pm
quote : #2
HAHHAHHA man i had a good laugh reading this post. I can't believe the game was that bad(actualy..yes.......yes i can). Yea PS2 needs more QUALITY online games. There are SO many in the works right now that are just unbelievable. However they are still in the works. Its so dissapointing that they will just barely get released when Sony will be starting to make the big push to PS3. I thought ATV woould have been good. Thanks for reviewing it, now i know not to get it Very Happy
rank 38
Posted:
Mon Jul 21, 2003 1:17 pm
quote : #3
You know the sad thing about all this? My cousin owns ATV Offroad Fury 1 AND likes it. Crying or Very sad

I don't know anyone could derive ANY fun from this game. I'd rather VOMIT, HAVE DIAREEA, AND WATCH OPRAH than play this game. At least I could look back and laugh about it.

"Yeah, I remember when I went to State Prison and had three choises for punishment: Play ATV Offroad Fury 2, Be "Lil' Mytho" and perform 'duties' for the prisoners, or have diareea, vomit, and be part of a taping of Oprah's Book Club......"

-Mytho

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Mon Jul 21, 2003 3:12 pm
quote : #4
hahhahahaah dude tahts why you gotta get timesplitters 2 Very Happy I am gonna get that as soon as possible. I just need to get paid hehe. Then i am str8. Prolly be able to get it this week.
rank 16
Posted:
Mon Feb 02, 2004 2:14 pm
quote : #5
i enjoy racing games i guess you could say that im a bit of a speed junky but this gam is lright not worth a rental or buy (i rented it) the online play is a bit confusing and you have to wait for someone to join before you start ......

TheMytho
rank 38
Posted:
Mon Feb 02, 2004 2:33 pm
quote : #6
Looking back on this post, I can't deny that it was funny. I also actually want to get this game (for $10 Laughing) so I can try it out over Broadband. I know some other OC'ers have it, and the game probably wouldn't suck nearly as bad as it does offline... right?

-Mytho

satoshi
rank 21
Posted:
Mon Feb 02, 2004 3:38 pm
quote : #7
I have to say, the game is very bad... At least I got it for free when I got my PS2 Online Bundle... But my lil brother likes it somewhat, so that's good, I guess... But it's just another game sitting in my CD Folder... It might come in handy at our upcoming LAN party, but I think SOCOM II and TMB:O will be more popular..

TheMytho
rank 38
Posted:
Mon Feb 02, 2004 6:56 pm
quote : #8
*A Proud ATV Offroad Fury Owner* (To the tune of 'If your happy and you know if....')

If you have AOF and you hate it, burn the disc!
If you have AOF and you hate it, burn the disc!

If you have AOF and you really despise it, burn the disc!

Laughing

Seriously though, how is the online play Satoshi? Does anyone even play anymore? I rented the game back in Summer 2003, and only like 12 people were playing. Pitiful, I know.

-Mytho

Suppa Buddha
rank 7
Posted:
Mon Feb 02, 2004 7:07 pm
quote : #9
I tried it online just because. I couldn't find my way into a game so I said screw it and never played it again. I'll stick to my new addiction: Tribes: AA. Very Happy
MasterChief
rank 16
Posted:
Tue Feb 03, 2004 1:08 am
quote : #10
god damn. i didnt expect it to be THAT bad. i guess they had to bundle it with the ps2 cause no one would buy it otherwise.

RIP Dark Slayer 5000
Apple
rank 23
Posted:
Tue Feb 03, 2004 4:53 pm
quote : #11
I.. umm... liked it. Embarassed

I got it with a PS2 recently and found it relatively entertaining. I thought the racing and going off hills riding around the maps was fun. It has a bunch of junk to unlock like clothes. You can go shopping for clothes after beating some races. I almost have all of them...

Ok I'll shut up run and hide now...

Oh ya one more thing, it may seem like no one's online, but that's because it doesn't show games in prgoress.

TheMytho
rank 38
Posted:
Tue Feb 03, 2004 6:04 pm
quote : #12
It's an OK game I suppose. I would give it a 4/10 to be honest with you. Summer 2003 though, I gave the game a 2/10.

I really want to try out online now since I have Broadband. If you can just go into a free-ride game online, then I might considering buying it.

-TheMytho

MeltedIce
rank 3
Posted:
Wed Feb 11, 2004 8:45 pm
quote : #13
Yeah, the online mode BLOWS! I mean god damn. I played it online once and then I said "hell no" out loud (seriously) and turned it off. I prefer THPS4 or Frequncy online.

Final Fantasy XI:
Name: Meltedice
Race/Class: Hume
Server: Midgardsormr
MICHAE2414
rank 24
Posted:
Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:56 pm
quote : #14
Alright, so I picked up ATV Offroad Fury 2 for ~$10 sealed recently. True, it's not that great of a game, and the trick system frankly sucks, but I thought the same way I thought when I got Auto Modellista: "Hey, an online racer for $9.99. There might be some bad things about it, but I can live with it/adjust at this price. Sounds good. Hope to see some OC games going." (Smile) Auto Modellista is better than ATV Offroad Fury 2 in many aspects, including the online aspects. Oh man, the online play.

Dude, this is a Sony game. You would think that the online aspect would be taken care of effectively, a la the trademark SOCOM or SOCOM II? Well, that's where everyone is wrong. I think Official PlayStation Magazine put it in the best way: "You'll feel like you've stepped into a debug menu." I took it online as a rental, under a dial-up connection, so I guess I can backup that claim with some of my experience.

Well, first off, you can't disconnect. Once you get online, you can't get offline until you shut down your PS2, nor can you enter any offline modes once you get online. I'm like, "What? Well, I guess that's not too bad. That makes online play the last thing I do with this game before turning it off, if I was playing through multiple modes." Anyway, once you get online, you won't find many people because broadband and dial-up servers are separated. You think it's a good idea to prevent lag from both sides, but this leaves many players that want games set up between people with different internet connections at a loss. You can't even do something like in Twisted Metal:Black ONLINE, because it's not a player limit count but a separation of connections altogether. It's sad.

Then there's the lobby and inoperable text chat system, which I don't think supports a USB keyboard. Well, then, there's no way to effectively chat in this game, I swear. It works like Auto Modellista's on-screen typing system, which I find awkward and annoying to use quickly to type in a simple message. Why does it have to be like this?

Lag is easily apparent, so don't even try to get some head-on collision with your opponents too often. There are no buddy lists or messaging service like EA or Ubisoft titles, either. Could it get any worse? Oh, yes, it can. ATV Offroad Fury 2 has to have one of the most unnecessarily complicated and tedious way of setting up and joining games. You have to wait for all the players to join before you can launch, but everything just feels so confusing to use and you just want to give up before even entering a race. The game also throws you out into the main lobby after a race, so you have to set everything up all over again if you want to just have a rematch. This just flat out sucks.

Please note that this all comes from the time I rented this game (ions ago), so I still have to get online (over ICS this time) with the copy of the game I own now and see how it is in-depth.

Now, I had played the demo before renting and buying, which gives a very good representation of what to expect in the full game (offline, at least). I liked the game engine, and found riding on an ATV entertaining, because of the way it handles and how you have to land and not wipe out. Alright, so like I said, I like this game and I bought it at a good price. The music, I think, is great as well. Just, don't get it for online play. It blows worse than you can ever imagine.
Posted:
Wed Aug 25, 2004 12:46 am
quote : #15
I got ahold of the beta version when it was in testing, and I really didn't like it all that much, even the players online couldn't do shit. To me it was basicly a staller for all of the other then-future online releases that were "supposed" to be big hits.