Topic: Webbrowsers

Page 1 of 2
maciver
rank 4
Posted:
Sun Apr 25, 2004 7:17 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Does anyone know if there is a webbrowser for PS2 in developement or released or anything? I use a Dreamcast to get online and just bought the network adapter for ps2 and was thinking about using my ps2 to surf the web... I hope they do like the dreamcast and make several browsers....

Apple
rank 23
Posted:
Sun Apr 25, 2004 7:41 pm
quote : #2
If they do it should be better than the DC ones.

Dark Slayer 5000
rank 15
Posted:
Sun Apr 25, 2004 7:43 pm
quote : #3
You know what, I don't think that there is a web browser for the PS2. If there was it would be that Linux thingy, but that is over my head; you may want to ask Lordnikon about that, he knows that stuff. It's strange how Sega was the only one to make a web browser and not anyone else. Sad

Memphissss
rank 16
Posted:
Sun Apr 25, 2004 8:06 pm
quote : #4
there have been several that have been released in japan already, I hear that the Japanese are already able to run even the aol software on their PS2. Sony needs to get with the program and already export on for us not so tech savy americans .......

MasterChief
rank 16
Posted:
Mon Apr 26, 2004 4:01 am
quote : #5
i dont think theres gonna be one. i think the eventual release of the promised software is just gonna have email and tools to put a ps2 on your home network, to store mp3s and such.

and maciver, if your dissatisfied with your browser, perhaps you can get a friend with a pc to burn you up a copy of XPD. a great browser that can be found at http://www.psilocybindreams.com/

RIP Dark Slayer 5000
maciver
rank 4
Posted:
Mon Apr 26, 2004 9:21 am
quote : #6
I already have it, its just that the ps2 has so much more potential for a webbrowser that can do most of what a pc does. The Dc webbrowsers are limited in that they cannot go to alot of webpages that require updated browser software. Like Hotmail everyone using DC has to use a special program to access it and alot of newer banking sites need higher versions too. Although XDP is great it isn't a permanent browser like a cpu...

Dark Slayer 5000
rank 15
Posted:
Mon Apr 26, 2004 9:39 am
quote : #7
Memphissss wrote:
there have been several that have been released in japan already, I hear that the Japanese are already able to run even the aol software on their PS2. Sony needs to get with the program and already export on for us not so tech savy americans .......

No kidding...There's a market outside of Japan, ya know. Confused

SolidSnake
banned!
Posted:
Mon Apr 26, 2004 3:06 pm
quote : #8
lol yea like the whole other HALF of the market i guess they take care of there ppl first then us. i hope......
Posted:
Mon Apr 26, 2004 4:53 pm
quote : #9
If they have them in Japan its possible to get one and use it on a US model with a modchip... Or get some kick ass hacker/programmers to do to it what was done for the DC... HINT HINT guys!!!!
I hear that Japan also has software that allows the HD to double as a memory card, it would be awesome if they figure a way to d/l game saves direct to a memory card with out a sharkport and a major pain in the ass. You have to admit Sega did a great job in making a console user friendly I mean hell they have awesome webbrowsers most play backups they can play music view pictures AND send files to/from the memory cards, wish Sony would get a clue! Sony makes so many great products its a shame that they underestimate the US markets and produce so much more for the asian markets. If Sony really gave a damn about the american markets they would do alot more market surveys here and learn more about thier target demographics (males in the mid 20s to early 30s) and find what we reallywant... But hey what do I know i am a male in my md 20s thats a hardcore gamer...

Posted Mon Apr 26, 2004 4:54 pm:

P.S Sorry about the rant...

Posted Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:31 pm:

I got tired of not knowing anything about a ps2 webbrowser so I started a yahoo group for people interested in translating an Asian webbrowser(if there are any) into english or creating a custom browser like XDP I am inviting anyone interested as well as all programers who want to give it a shot. http://gamesource.groups.yahoo.com/group/playstation2browsers I started it minutes ago so I have no members yet but if I am right I will have many before too long... Please post all rumors and truths you know about a possible japaneese browser and any info anyone hears...

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Wed Apr 28, 2004 8:49 pm
quote : #10
Type: NTSC-U/C
All I know of is that PlanetWeb made a port of their browser to the PS2 in japan.

http://www.ergo.co.jp/news/egbrowser.html

No idea how to get it or find it or import it or anything. In the end it would be the same thing as browsing from your DC....since it is the same browser.
rank 4
Posted:
Thu Apr 29, 2004 10:58 am
quote : #11
We have a small victory today on my site http://xxxxxxxxxx.xxxxxx.xxxxx.xxx/xxxxx/xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx we have found a site that allows the PS2 to browse the web it has instructions for use it is web based so no software is needed! It even allows you to save favorites, xxx xxxx xx xxxx xx xxx xxx xxxx xx xx xxx xxxxx xx xxx!

(edited for spam violations)

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Thu Apr 29, 2004 12:23 pm
quote : #12
Hey maciver I know your excited about started your site but we have some strict rules in place to control spam, so ease back ok?

In the rules it states:
User's are allowed to place a URL to a personal site in their signature. If you run a website that has information pertaining to a specific topic, please post the actual information instead of spamming the URL to your website. If you are only here to spam links for your own personal gain, then you will be banned from the server, and your account eliminated.

You could have posted the URL to the site in question:
http://213.105.221.130:3000/homepage/x_menu_ps2.asp

and

http://ps2browser.webhop.net

Does this work on a NTSC playstation 2? I am aware that the PAL PS2's can surf the net if you have a specific network configuration disc, however NTSC PS2's I don't believe are capable of this.
banned!
Posted:
Thu Apr 29, 2004 3:21 pm
quote : #13
then y dont we try it and see if it works im gona try tonight.
Posted:
Thu Apr 29, 2004 3:35 pm
quote : #14
SolidSnake wrote:
then y dont we try it and see if it works im gona try tonight.

As am I, once I finish this damn paper and my bro gets off FFXI.

Memphissss
rank 16
Posted:
Thu Apr 29, 2004 4:12 pm
quote : #15
Im confused about all of this so what does that software do again. From what i get and i dont get much, Does it act like a cache for the PS2? You know store files so that it can access them from a local host just like google .....