1, 2  Next
lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Sun May 23, 2004 10:16 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C

On Sat May 22nd a new online console tunneling service hit the internet. Formerly of Xbox fame, XLink developers have created an all new iteration of their tunneling software providing an integrated console tunneling network by the name of 'XLink Kai: Evolution VII'. The Playstation 2 is supported(as well as GC and XB).

Features:
- Supports LAN enabled games
- Multi-console compatible
- 2 gaming modes (Messenger and Arena)
- Integrated chat in all areas
- Trusted clan and tournament / ladder arenas
- No port-forwarding required on almost all network setups
- Compatible with wireless networks (not all wireless network setups)
- Network connection monitor/s
- Superior compression algorithms for less lag
- Auto-update notifications

XLink is managed and hosted by the XLink development team. You must log into their network in order to use Kai7. Many of you might be frustrated by this lack of control. However I brought this up with the developers and they stated that, if XLink team ever ceases to support the XLink tunneling service...they would make arrangements for a user to user run tunneler. So this is fantastic news. And it proves XLink are not just concerned about getting attention for their software by making it a centralized system, however it's proof they are thinking about the gamers.

The following PS2 games are officially supported at this time:

Midnight Club 2
Socom 2
TimeSplitters 2

I have yet to test this software successfully yet. Finding Playstation 2 gamers on there is very hard at the moment. However finding them here at OC is very easy :] So I'm sure we'll be testing this regularly over the next few days.

Please register here:
http://www.teamxlink.co.uk/
(You probobly won't recieve an email, so kinda have to wait it out a bit after you have registered before you can successfully login.)

Please download the client here:
http://www.teamxlink.co.uk/downloads.php
(Config Tip: run the Kai7 config tool, leave both 'port' and 'deep port' left as 0. Where it says 'Accept UI Connections From', select Any IP Address from the pulldown box. If your behind a router, then forward port 30000 for the IP your PC uses. This should get you up and running with no problems)

Use the scheduler and game organization forum to schedule some meetings. Post how successfull it is for you. I look forward to some awsome testing in the next few days.

rank 16
Posted:
Sun May 23, 2004 1:59 pm
quote : #2
sweet man. im gonna give it a shot.

RIP Dark Slayer 5000
Memphissss
rank 16
Posted:
Sun May 23, 2004 4:38 pm
quote : #3
??? why would you wanna play socom 2 lan when it is already online enabled and the same with midnight club 2? I'm not complaning but why?

Apple
rank 23
Posted:
Sun May 23, 2004 5:23 pm
quote : #4
Memphissss wrote:
??? why would you wanna play socom 2 lan when it is already online enabled and the same with midnight club 2? I'm not complaning but why?

Server connection issues? Increased privacy? Centralized way of gaming (through the tunnel)?

Memphissss
rank 16
Posted:
Sun May 23, 2004 7:17 pm
quote : #5
Apple wrote:
Memphissss wrote:

Server connection issues? Increased privacy? Centralized way of gaming (through the tunnel)?

centralized way of gaming? but i thought it was only one on one thouhg.

Apple
rank 23
Posted:
Sun May 23, 2004 7:21 pm
quote : #6
Think of it in terms of this community. You can switch games, but access players in a standard way and automatically have lobby chat. In some ways the tunnel is better than regular.

Metal_4evr
rank 7
Posted:
Mon May 24, 2004 9:08 pm
quote : #7
From what I've heard Socom LAN is different from plain online play. There is supposedly co-op etc.

Memphissss
rank 16
Posted:
Tue May 25, 2004 12:49 pm
quote : #8
Metal_4evr wrote:
From what I've heard Socom LAN is different from plain online play. There is supposedly co-op etc.

wow co-op i have got to try this .......

Apple
rank 23
Posted:
Tue May 25, 2004 3:07 pm
quote : #9
Can anyone confirm that? It would maybe be a reason to actually consider such a game.

Spidhopddy
rank 13
Posted:
Tue May 25, 2004 3:28 pm
quote : #10
I pretty sure it ain't got no co-op cause the tunneling software doesn't right new code for a game feature that was never there in the 1st place. You couldn't play co-op originally, let alone now. Maybe it could be added as a PS2 HDD dl in da future but as of now there is no co-op socom 2.

Apple
rank 23
Posted:
Tue May 25, 2004 4:18 pm
quote : #11
Spidhopddy wrote:
I pretty sure it ain't got no co-op cause the tunneling software doesn't right new code for a game feature that was never there in the 1st place. You couldn't play co-op originally, let alone now. Maybe it could be added as a PS2 HDD dl in da future but as of now there is no co-op socom 2.

I think they mean that it was a LAN feature already. Regardless, I doubt it's validity.

MasterChief
rank 16
Posted:
Wed May 26, 2004 12:08 am
quote : #12
Memphissss wrote:

it scemes so people with modded systems can play online and not worry about DNAS.

RIP Dark Slayer 5000
SolidSnake
banned!
Posted:
Sat May 29, 2004 1:36 pm
quote : #13
Quote:

Increased privacy are u ppl like scared to talk to other ppl or sumthing if u wanna have a private game all u gotta do is make a game with a password. Im sry man but if u guys wanna tunnel a game thats already online and has headset support aperently yall have no life. Laughing
Posted:
Sat May 29, 2004 6:48 pm
quote : #14
SolidSnake wrote:
Quote:

Increased privacy are u ppl like scared to talk to other ppl or sumthing if u wanna have a private game all u gotta do is make a game with a password. Im sry man but if u guys wanna tunnel a game thats already online and has headset support aperently yall have no life. Laughing

It was a suggestion. The modded system thing is probably the big one.

SolidSnake
banned!
Posted:
Sat May 29, 2004 7:09 pm
quote : #15
It was kinda of a werid suggestion