Page 1 of 1
lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Wed Jun 02, 2004 1:10 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
Apple has mentioned a few times TribesAA can be played over a LAN.

How?

Very curious about this.
banned!
Posted:
Wed Jun 02, 2004 3:48 pm
quote : #2
Who cares Laughing jk man i dont kno if it even has a lan feature.
Posted:
Wed Jun 02, 2004 3:57 pm
quote : #3
I think you just need 2 ps2's hooked up to the same router.

That makes sence, because when you host an AADS with a firewall, only things on the router can see it.
rank 16
Posted:
Wed Jun 02, 2004 4:05 pm
quote : #4
when my cousins and i tried to use it with a router an a broad band connection it didnt work i think that one of them kept getting booted from the server. I dont think tribes lets you use a static ip to play with two ps2's and router.

Apple
rank 23
Posted:
Wed Jun 02, 2004 4:10 pm
quote : #5
There's a way. I remember reading it on a Powow FAQ right before we switched over. I'll look for it again.

Posted Wed Jun 02, 2004 5:18 pm:

Biscuit - A Tribes: AA Developer wrote:
There are essentially two methods to be used when hosting LAN games and it is determined on whether or not there is a device on your network that will issue your PlayStation 2 a dynamic IP address.

Most people will have their PS2 configuration set on DHCP or Automatic network address assignment. Try this configuration on the network that you wish to host the LAN games on. If your PS2 connects properly and is issued an IP address, then no further configuration should be needed.

If you do NOT have a device that will issue network addresses to the PS2 console, then you will have to re-configure each of the consoles with a static, unique, IP address.

You will need to set the I.P. Address to 192.168.0.x (where x is a random number between 1 and 254), netmask to 255.255.255.0, gateway to 192.168.0.1 and leave the name server settings on automatic.

The gateway and name server settings are not important for this configuration unless you would like machines outside of your network to participate in the game.

Set one of the consoles to host a game, it should appear in the server list and all your other consoles should be able to join.

You do NOT need to have an external connection to the internet to play a LAN based game. In this instance, only one server will show up on the server list.

I would like those of you whom have set up a LAN based game to add additional comments. Most of the time, when we test these things out, we are in an ideal environment and rarely run in to the odd problems that can occur when attempting this.

You will notice the minimum possible fire delays that can happen with the game. Makes it nice and smooth.

Enjoy!

I <3 Biscuit and the rest of Inevitable.

It didn't take long on the current Tribes board. I checked the old Technial Support forumbefore I decided to search for powow. Viola! An old sticky with a response by Biscuit.

Posted Wed Jun 02, 2004 5:22 pm:

Basicly, you can't be JUST tunneling unless Sierra dies.

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Thu Jun 03, 2004 10:54 am
quote : #6
Wait so you can just hook consoles up to a LAN and the master list screen picks up LAN hosted games. Nice!

I mean...the game has its own built in master list! WOW!!!

This game never ceases to amaze me.

I have a huge question though....why didn't this come up in regards to the MLG games? Shouldn't TAA be in MLG tournaments by now?

Last edited by lordnikon on Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:57 am; edited 1 time in total
rank 21
Posted:
Thu Jun 03, 2004 12:46 pm
quote : #7
DietGarfield wrote:
I think you just need 2 ps2's hooked up to the same router.

That makes sence, because when you host an AADS with a firewall, only things on the router can see it.

That's because you didn't open the proper ports on your router. Same thing has to be done for practically every game out there that can host a server from one's computer. I don't recall the Tribes 2 ports off the top of my head (though I'm sure they're different than the T:AA ones), but the default Quake 3 port is 27910. Just go into your router config and open the required ports, which you can probably find via google. Or, if you're feeling dangerous, you can choose to make the machine that's running the AADS server a DMZ. This'll allow ALL network traffic through.

Apple
rank 23
Posted:
Thu Jun 03, 2004 4:20 pm
quote : #8
lordnikon wrote:

I have a huge question though....why didn'tthis come up in regards to the MLG games? Shouldn't TAA be in MLG tournaments by now?

People are stupid?

Actually, I think we had some people Demo T:AA in Huston or Austin or someplace in Texas at least. They used LAN I believe.