Page Location: Home > Archive (General) > Topic
lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Mon Jun 14, 2004 2:25 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
I am pretty damn impressed by this game's internet functions. First off....DE JA VU. I have a question for TheMytho. Since this game uses Sega SNAP networking software. Do you get any flashbacks with this game to the DC? I mean seriously everything from the netfront browser to the mpeg sofdec screens....all the way up to the room creation, lobbies, and chat. Talk about erie. I totally get the outtrigger lobby feeling when I log onot this game. Mytho do you get the same thing?

Also about making 'clubs' when you make a team club is that a perminant club or just temporary when you log on?
rank 13
Posted:
Mon Jun 14, 2004 2:41 pm
quote : #2
so how was this game besides the online functions?

*High Score on SWBF* 89 Kills -12 Deaths -19 Captures
Total Time Played: 6 hours and 48 minutes
Total Games: 67
Kills: 722
Deaths: 150
Memphissss
rank 16
Posted:
Mon Jun 14, 2004 4:25 pm
quote : #3
dude how was this game? automodelista is a good game all around but the fact that the game never got off the ground that good was what held it down. First off it didnt have to be cell shaded, i think that this was one of the reasons it never caught on that well. second, well there is no second. this game is all aroud fun and is an all around good game, to the off line mode even to the online modes, well the online menus and stuff of that nature could have got a lil face lift but all in all this is a good game i would suggest it to anyone........

Spidhopddy
rank 13
Posted:
Mon Jun 14, 2004 4:29 pm
quote : #4
maybe i'll pick it up if i see it for the $9.99 that Nikon bought it for.
Saw it for $20 at Circuit City

*High Score on SWBF* 89 Kills -12 Deaths -19 Captures
Total Time Played: 6 hours and 48 minutes
Total Games: 67
Kills: 722
Deaths: 150
lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Mon Jun 14, 2004 4:34 pm
quote : #5
Spidhopddy wrote:
so how was this game besides the online functions?

I have been working on other stuff so I just booted it up to check it out really quick and to scope out what it has to offer in terms of online features.

The game looks great and has a very rich single player mode.

The game's major flaw is it's controls. If you understand how and why it does what it does it's no problem really. The game just isn't sensitive enough. The game seems like it was designed for a racing wheel. When you move the analog stick its a very gradual turn you don't get full turn until you ram it allllll the way to the left or right.

So you can basically take the analog stick, or d-pad and shake it back and forth left to right really fast and your car will stay on the track. More precise racing games your car would eventually start to grip the road slowing down and then skid out due to the friction. However that isn't apparent.

This has been in many other racing games as well. Sega GT and Sega Rally 2 on the DC both suffered from this. I call it the "soap box" effect.

Also if you don't handle your turns right you will spin out hardcore. You have to downshift coming into turns, or drift into them properly. Otherwise you'll spin out.

These 2 major factors are what cause everyone who disses this game to instantly say "omg the controls are awfull". Which they really arn't that bad you just have to adjust slightly. Realise that you kinda have to treat your analog stick like a wheel. It will cause gradual pressure on rotation. So you can subtly turn the analog and flow through small turns rather nicely. People push it to hard, spin out, and get frustrated. They just need to realise they shouldn't be slamming on the analog that hard.

All in all the game is pretty awsome. I plan on making it my exclusive PS2 online racer and will be putting in some decent time helping to advance it's online community. It has a ton of features and the controls are NOT as bad as people say they are. They are pretty good actually. Just a bit loose thats all. I plan on getting a DC > PS2 converter if i can. Since I prefer using a dreamcast controller for racers. It's triggers OWN for acceleration and braking.

Auto Modellista is well worth a 9.99-19.99 price tag. Awsome game. It offers a lot more than other online racers, and it's online features rule. Full keyboard support, can make private games and clubs. Stats tracking. 8 players online over broadband. Pretty complete package here. And the graphics are done in style. So overall you can't lose with this game. I recommend it to anyone looking to get a full featured online racing game for the PS2.
rank 21
Posted:
Mon Jun 14, 2004 6:23 pm
quote : #6
lordnikon wrote:
They just need to realise they shouldn't be slamming on the analog that hard.

AHaha! My little brother suffers from that in EVERY racing game! He always pushes the control stick to the extremes. Which explains why I can beat him everytime in Burnout. Ya gotta take your turns smoothly, looking at the road ahead, anticipating what you have to do next; sorta like real driving, except much more interesting.

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Mon Jun 14, 2004 7:03 pm
quote : #7
Well I just took a break from coding updates, and have spent a good half-hour here with Auto Modellista. These controls are prtty spot on I don't understand what people's problems are with the controls. They are pretty damn good to me.

To anyone looking to get this game. I can't see any problems with this game at all. Excellent game. Anyone bitching about controls with this game prolly just doesn't get that they can't play this game like an arcade racer. You have to downshift going into your turns or you'll spin out.

Fantastic game.
rank 16
Posted:
Tue Jun 15, 2004 12:04 am
quote : #8
I love to drive man i dont even have my license yet but i love to drive, Ah the open road nothin like it. oh yeah i found this trailer from auto modelista Enjoi.

martianviking
rank 9
Posted:
Tue Jun 15, 2004 12:28 pm
quote : #9
lordnikon wrote:
...I plan on getting a DC > PS2 converter if i can. Since I prefer using a dreamcast controller for racers. It's triggers OWN for acceleration and braking...

I am sad to report that I have never been able to find an adapter that will allow the use of any other controller on a PlayStation or PS2 system.

There are products that will allow the use of PlayStation pads on just about every other system out there, but I have never found a single adapter that goes the other way. I have searched all of the usual sites along with the web in general, and I have even written directly to distributors of such adapters. Everyone says the same thing. They have never heard of or seen an adapter that will allow the use of other controllers on a PlayStation system.

I think you've sold me on Auto Modellista, though. I'll be picking it up shortly.
Apple
rank 23
Posted:
Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:38 pm
quote : #10
Make one? There's got to be couplers or something that would facilitate the process. Otherwise, try hard. I'd try but I don't have a converter.

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Tue Jun 15, 2004 8:16 pm
quote : #11
martianviking wrote:
I am sad to report that I have never been able to find an adapter that will allow the use of any other controller on a PlayStation or PS2 system.

Ack, yea I just looked, impossible to find. Oh well Sad

martianviking wrote:
I think you've sold me on Auto Modellista, though. I'll be picking it up shortly.

Yea it's tough to argue with the $9.99 price tag.

Apple wrote:
Make one? There's got to be couplers or something that would facilitate the process. Otherwise, try hard. I'd try but I don't have a converter.

Yea I could make one just soldering the points on a PS2 controller to those on the DC controller. However I am playing pretty good using the standard L/R on the PS2 controller for now. Plus I'm planning on modding out 3 different controllers for 3 different FPS's on the DC, and I have enough controllers laying around as it is LOL.
rank 38
Posted:
Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:39 am
quote : #12
lordnikon wrote:
I am pretty damn impressed by this game's internet functions. First off....DE JA VU. I have a question for TheMytho. Since this game uses Sega SNAP networking software. Do you get any flashbacks with this game to the DC? I mean seriously everything from the netfront browser to the mpeg sofdec screens....all the way up to the room creation, lobbies, and chat. Talk about erie. I totally get the outtrigger lobby feeling when I log onot this game. Mytho do you get the same thing?

Also about making 'clubs' when you make a team club is that a perminant club or just temporary when you log on?

Sorry I've been outta the loop for the past week or so.

I kinda got a flashback to Outtrigger. AM's online interface seemed kinda sloppy to me, but it has a Sega flair to it.

The clubs are perminant, I believe.

-Mytho