Page Location: Home > Support > Getting Online > Topic
1, 2  Next
Eckostyle
rank 3
Posted:
Sun Jun 20, 2004 8:37 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Since I need a router to get internet access into my room, I just need to know if I'll have any issues with playing anything online before I get the network adapter. IF it matters the games I'll be playing are Amplitude, SOCOM 2, Rainbow Six 3, and Auto Modellista.

Thanks.

EDIT: 2 more things. Is it unsafe to use those USB network adapters? Is using a Sony network adapter taken out of a brand new SCPH-50001/N PS2 bad idea?

Apple
rank 23
Posted:
Sun Jun 20, 2004 8:54 pm
quote : #2
Use of an official network adapter is HIGHLY suggested.

You'll only have problems hosting with a router. To solve that, you can DMZ Host your PS2.

Eckostyle
rank 3
Posted:
Mon Jun 21, 2004 7:19 am
quote : #3
Apple wrote:

You'll only have problems hosting with a router. To solve that, you can DMZ Host your PS2.

Whats DMZ Hosting?

Spidhopddy
rank 13
Posted:
Mon Jun 21, 2004 7:37 am
quote : #4
Apple wrote:

The USb ones havent seemed to give too many probs except with about 4 games. But for the price they run about now might aswell pay the official NA price.

*High Score on SWBF* 89 Kills -12 Deaths -19 Captures
Total Time Played: 6 hours and 48 minutes
Total Games: 67
Kills: 722
Deaths: 150
Apple
rank 23
Posted:
Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:16 am
quote : #5
DMZ Hosting is a router option to remove a firewall for a specific IP.

Suppa Buddha
rank 7
Posted:
Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:48 am
quote : #6
I use a router to get my PS2 online and it works fine. Its the Speedstream 4-Port DSL/Cable Router Model SS2604.

Heres a link if you want to check it out. http://kb.efficient.com/display/1/articleDirect/index.asp?aid=45963&r=0.4598963
Eckostyle
rank 3
Posted:
Sat Jun 26, 2004 4:10 pm
quote : #7
Well, after a search on "DMZ Host", i found this.

http://www.sohoware.com/broadguard/DMZ.HTM

Im getting a FlowPoint 144 router(http://www.dslrouters.com/Efficient/flowpoin.htm) in the mail soon. Once I get my router all set up with the PS2, what next? I really know nothing about networking.

satoshi
rank 21
Posted:
Sat Jun 26, 2004 9:23 pm
quote : #8
Type: NTSC-U/C
Eckostyle wrote:
Well, after a search on "DMZ Host", i found this.

http://www.sohoware.com/broadguard/DMZ.HTM

Im getting a FlowPoint 144 router(http://www.dslrouters.com/Efficient/flowpoin.htm) in the mail soon. Once I get my router all set up with the PS2, what next? I really know nothing about networking.

That's an example setup page for one of SohoWare's routers. That's pretty much what it's like in most (though all routers are different, especially their web-based setup software) routers. Just read the manual that comes with the router to learn how to set up a DMZ server. First, though, try and get online with all of your games WITHOUT setting up a DMZ server. You may see that you don't need it at all.

martianviking
rank 9
Posted:
Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:58 pm
quote : #9
Yes, DMZ is supposed to completely bypass your router to a certain IP (so if you set DMZ to the IP of your PS2, you're supposed to be fine). This is not necessarily true.

It is frustrating, but I have had trouble joining and hosting games with both Twisted Metal Black Online and Auto Modellista, even with DMZ correctly set. The only way I can get online with those two games is to bypass my router completely and connect my PS2 directly into my broadband modem's ethernet port.

Tribes: Aerial Assault, on the other hand, works just fine even without DMZ. If it helps, I'm using a very cheap router by TRENDnet. FYI, TheMytho has had similar problems with Twisted Metal.
TheMytho
rank 38
Posted:
Sun Jun 27, 2004 11:05 pm
quote : #10
martianviking wrote:
FYI, TheMytho has had similar problems with Twisted Metal.

And I have issues with Auto Modelista, as well. I am using a wireless Netgear router, but everything is wired to the router.

Setting a DMZ or forwarding ports does nothing for me either.

-Mytho
Posted:
Mon Jun 28, 2004 1:21 pm
quote : #11
martianviking wrote:
Yes, DMZ is supposed to completely bypass your router to a certain IP (so if you set DMZ to the IP of your PS2, you're supposed to be fine). This is not necessarily true.

It is frustrating, but I have had trouble joining and hosting games with both Twisted Metal Black Online and Auto Modellista, even with DMZ correctly set. The only way I can get online with those two games is to bypass my router completely and connect my PS2 directly into my broadband modem's ethernet port.

Tribes: Aerial Assault, on the other hand, works just fine even without DMZ. If it helps, I'm using a very cheap router by TRENDnet. FYI, TheMytho has had similar problems with Twisted Metal.

Weird. My dad's router (an older Netgear, maybe 3-4 years old) lets my PS2 out just fine, for all the games I've played online (SOCOM II, Frequency, FFXI, TMB:O, ATV Offroad 2). No DMZ, no open ports, no nothing. My mom's router, on the other hand (a newer netgear, less than 1 year old), needs to have DMZ setup for the PS2 so it can go through. FFXI, however, doesn't go through the DMZ and uses the "auto-detect" setting, no specific IP, nothing (when I made it go through the DMZd IP, it failed to connect).

The symptoms you describe (trouble hosting/joining) happened to me on my mom's router without the DMZ. SOCOM II would also fail to get the MOTD when joining the server, and Frequency would fail all together. What you have to do to get certain games through seems to all depends on your router, even routers from the same manufacturer are different (as was the situation with my case).

martianviking
rank 9
Posted:
Mon Jun 28, 2004 1:27 pm
quote : #12
I'm wondering if maybe I should be tweaking the networks settings on my PS2 as well (and not just relying on the router settings).
satoshi
rank 21
Posted:
Mon Jun 28, 2004 1:41 pm
quote : #13
martianviking wrote:
I'm wondering if maybe I should be tweaking the networks settings on my PS2 as well (and not just relying on the router settings).

Yes, definatly. This may sound stupid, but did you tell your PS2 to use whatever IP you DMZd in the router? For example, I told my mom's router to DMZ the IP 192.168.0.100. I then told my PS2 to use that IP in the network disc (or any game that has the network setup utility on it).

martianviking
rank 9
Posted:
Mon Jun 28, 2004 3:54 pm
quote : #14
I did check the IP table on my router to be sure I was "DMZ-ing" the IP of my PS2, for sure. I'm just thinking that there might be other settings that are interfering.

We'll see.
maciver
rank 4
Posted:
Sat Nov 06, 2004 7:15 pm
quote : #15
whats the diff between a hub and a router?