Page Location: Home > Archive (News) > Topic
lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Wed Jun 23, 2004 2:39 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C

Today at the 1UP website a news post was listed with the title "Capcom Closes Old PS2 Online Games". Among the games listed were, Auto Modellista (PS2), Capcom Vs. SNK 2 (PS2/DC), Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 (PS2), and Mobile Suit Gundam Federation Vs. Zeon DX (PS2/DC). 1UP is typically consisitant at not providing all the details in their news threads. Typically they leave out a crucial fact. This time the neglected to mention the fact that this only applies to JAPAN. These game servers are Japanese based subscription services. The technology used isn't even the same as the United States. In japan most online games are provided through DSL services with mini-fees per month. Auto Modellista required a small fee to play online in Japan.

As I have already stated Auto Modellista is still online in the US. I just tested it myself and its fully functional. There are no online messages that would show any signs of this game going offline. Also registered user TheMytho just tried it as well and he was able to get online no problem. In-fact earlier this morning(or night for us), me and Mytho were racing a few laps online playing the game in-fact. Capcom is divided into multiple divisions based on region. There is Capcom of JP and Capcom is USA. This game is handled differently online in each region. In the US the game is still online and will continue to stay online.

The problem this now leaves us with is an uphill battle. Seems that now we are in almost an identical situation as the dreamcast games with Auto modellista, and the fact that it uses Sega Snap middleware makes it all the more ironic. Now 50% of the internet fucking believes Auto Modellista is offline because 1UP didn't specifiy this game was only going offline in......JAPAN! Neutral If you'll remmeber sega made some claim they were to shut certain core dreamcast games down by the end of 2002 but left them all online for like 6 months past that deadline. So everyone just assumed the game was down but didn't even bother to actually....oh um...I don't know.... CHECK FOR THEMSELVES WITH THEIR OWN EYES. So now we have the same exact problem. A portion of gamers out their will continue to propogate a new myth that Auto Modellista in the USA is down. Nothing could be further from the truth. It's still online!