Topic: LINUX FOR PS2?!?!?!

Page 1 of 1
DragonSlayer3288
rank 6
Posted:
Wed Aug 27, 2003 7:22 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Yeah, i heard that u can get a linux kit for ps2. U can't get it in stores (at least the ones that i checked) but u can get it offline. It's usually 200$. It includes: mouse, keyboard, 40 gb hardrive, network adapter, and a 2 cd set of Linux. Now i have 2 questions with this. 1 :Is it worth it? 2: Does it run well because i would rather have that hten my crappy computer that i have. So in other words, is ps2 a good fast computer. Something that i could get Linux games on n stuff. So if anybody knows what im tlaking about, please. help a person in need (because my computer is a peice of crap)
rank 59
Posted:
Thu Aug 28, 2003 9:20 am
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
The linux kit for PS2 is for developers and programers. The environment is not user friendly. It's not meant to run as a replacement for a desktop computer. It was designed primarly as a programming environment, and as a environment for those who are Linux savey. It does have xwindows with a kde interface but, still, getting software and other things to run is not that easy if your coming from a Microsoft Windows background.

Basically its great, but really not designed to be user friendly.

P.S. what are the specs on your current PC?
rank 6
Posted:
Thu Aug 28, 2003 11:12 am
quote : #3
P2 350mhZ 128mb PC133 RAM Win 98. Laughing I kno enough about my computer to tell when it sucks. Hell, i'd be happy if i had a P3 733mhZ.
rank 59
Posted:
Thu Aug 28, 2003 6:01 pm
quote : #4
Honestly upgrade your ram if possible. Atleast 256MB. It will make a world of difference.

http://www.crucial.com

Above link is a great place to get ram.

The reason why this will help you is when you have a certain amount of programs open and all your ram is being used to have them running. When you want to open another program or switch back and forth, or even do normal windows tasks, the compu ter has to juggle the ram. Dumping the ram out of one object and then using it on another. Constantly shuffling back and forth to free up resources for other software your activly using. This can also make the system more unstable. So upgrading ram is one of the cheapest and best improvements you can do for your PC.
rank 6
Posted:
Fri Aug 29, 2003 7:47 am
quote : #5
yeah, i kno a lot about computers, but the problem is my motherboard is so crappy im running 2 sticks of 64mb and there isn't anymore slots. That would mean i would have to take both of em out n buy 2 sticks of 128 or 1 stick of 256. No matter what, i would have to take both out because u can't put a 64 and a 128 or 256 together. It has to be the same. haha, y do u think all my gaming goes on the ps2? becuz none of it will run on my pc lol
rank 59
Posted:
Fri Aug 29, 2003 7:57 am
quote : #6
This is exactly why I suddenly got so into online console gaming. I would have way to many programs open on my PC and be in the middle of work. The only way to play a game is to close all my work down and save everything, then play the game then reopen all the programs again. Its a pain. With consoles i can just turn my chair and grab a controller, or a mouse and keyboard and start playing. (having Quake 3 on dreamcast with broadband adaptor, mouse, keyboard and VGA is like heaven, isntant fragging anytime i want.)
rank 6
Posted:
Fri Aug 29, 2003 12:41 pm
quote : #7
I also have a dreamcast but the only online game i have is Phantasy Star Online 2. I havent even played it yet (Friend gave it to me about a week ago) I need to get a broadband adapter...