Page Location: Home > Support > Getting Online > Topic
1, 2  Next
MICHAE2414
rank 24
Posted:
Tue Aug 31, 2004 7:42 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
I have the one that first came out, v1.0, with the Frequency (alive) and Madden NFL 2003 (dead) online demos. It doesn't have any of the extra features I've heard about, nor does the connection test use DNAS.

I kinda wish I had the other ones out there, v2.0 and v2.5 if I recall correctly, just for the other stuff.
Posted:
Tue Aug 31, 2004 8:42 pm
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
When did this first version come out? I got my PS2 Network Bundle on December 27th, 2003, and it came with the disc you describe. Though Frequency is fun, I, too, would like to know what's on the other versions.

lanzarlaluna
rank 6
Posted:
Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:07 pm
quote : #3
I have the Tribes: Aerial Assault version. Razz
Posted:
Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:16 pm
quote : #4
satoshi wrote:
When did this first version come out? I got my PS2 Network Bundle on December 27th, 2003, and it came with the disc you describe. Though Frequency is fun, I, too, would like to know what's on the other versions.

Well, the first version has been out since the launch of the NA, that date being August 27, 2002 (IIRC). The first online bundle (the non-progressive scan ones WITHOUT ATV Offroad Fury 2) would have the first version, I assume. The second online bundle (the non-progressive scan ones WITH ATV Offroad Fury 2) might be either the first version or the second one; that I'm not sure of. Then, there's the third online bundle (the new progressive scan 50001 ones WITH ATV Offroad Fury 2) that should have v2.5 and/or above version, I would think. Which bundle did you purchase? (I just mentioned three different ones.)

IIRC, one of the other versions (v2.0 or v2.5) has an Amplitude demo, a My Street demo (?), and/or a Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2004 demo. There were also some other things, like a DNAS Authenticiation test and, for example, a FFXI video.
Posted:
Tue Aug 31, 2004 11:07 pm
quote : #5
I got the one with the Frequency and some other dumb EA Sports game. I got the network adapter on the release date though. Very Happy

DRBagabundo
rank 9
Posted:
Tue Aug 31, 2004 11:34 pm
quote : #6
I have the one with Frequency and Madden 03.
XBOX - Ninja Gaiden & Halo 2 Limited Collector's Edition
lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:54 am
quote : #7
Man I gotta get my hands on these other Start-up discs. That DNAS test feature sounds really usefull(for future debugging). I would like to find a way around DNAS to LAN warhammer. Since it has a direct ip function. DNAS is getting in the way though.
rank 19
Posted:
Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:05 am
quote : #8
I have v2.5 with Madden '04 and Tiger Woods'04 (they coulda put something for the non-sport gamers , yeesh)
Mir_wan
rank 39
Posted:
Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:08 am
quote : #9
i got the very first version since i got my network adaptor in august 2002.. It has the madden 2003 and frequency demo... For a couple months i didnt own any games.. So my friend and i played the demos against each other online for a while.. I would like to get a newer start up disk have the dnas checking anyone know where to get a disk only...?
Posted:
Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:16 am
quote : #10
DaMan wrote:
I have v2.5 with Madden '04 and Tiger Woods'04 (they coulda put something for the non-sport gamers , yeesh)

It seems i have the same one you do

PS2 only reads Tribes right now...
satoshi
rank 21
Posted:
Wed Sep 01, 2004 3:41 pm
quote : #11
MICHAE2414 wrote:
satoshi wrote:

Well, the first version has been out since the launch of the NA, that date being August 27, 2002 (IIRC). The first online bundle (the non-progressive scan ones WITHOUT ATV Offroad Fury 2) would have the first version, I assume. The second online bundle (the non-progressive scan ones WITH ATV Offroad Fury 2) might be either the first version or the second one; that I'm not sure of. Then, there's the third online bundle (the new progressive scan 50001 ones WITH ATV Offroad Fury 2) that should have v2.5 and/or above version, I would think. Which bundle did you purchase? (I just mentioned three different ones.)

IIRC, one of the other versions (v2.0 or v2.5) has an Amplitude demo, a My Street demo (?), and/or a Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2004 demo. There were also some other things, like a DNAS Authenticiation test and, for example, a FFXI video.

What do you mean by progressive scan? As in, it came with those cables? 'cause my ps2 is 50001 and it came with atv offroad fury 2, but it didn't have those cables...

MICHAE2414
rank 24
Posted:
Wed Sep 01, 2004 5:20 pm
quote : #12
The 50001 model has new/improved progressive-scan abilities for games, IIRC. Something had to do with progressive scan. Anyway, I'm not talking about cables or anything like that. I just mentioned a random feature of the new 50001 model that the others didn't have, in case you didn't know the model number.

mir_wan, I would guess that a couple ways to get other start-up discs would be to call up Sony for one (they may charge you for the disc), or search eBay. Other than that, I'm not sure. The bad thing is, there's no real way to tell (from the network adaptor packaging at the store) which version of the Start-Up Disc is in there. Maybe if you see the "free game" red sticker on there, then it's v1.0 with the Frequency and Madden NFL 2003 demos. Beyond that, there's no way to tell which version you will get.

nikon, I want these other discs, too. I remember for a fact that when on this site (in network tech), one person had been getting a DNAS error from a connection test on their Start-Up Disc. This proves that such a DNAS Authenticiation test does indeed exist on one of these other versions, in case you happened to be doubting it.
Posted:
Wed Sep 01, 2004 6:04 pm
quote : #13
MICHAE2414 wrote:
The 50001 model has new/improved progressive-scan abilities for games, IIRC. Something had to do with progressive scan. Anyway, I'm not talking about cables or anything like that. I just mentioned a random feature of the new 50001 model that the others didn't have, in case you didn't know the model number.

Uh huh.. my friend's ps2, quite old, v3 i think, has progressive scan options in the BIOs (system settings). Infact, the only difference between our consoles is the mouse and keyboard options i have in the BIOs on mine, and that's only because there's a harddrive in my system...

MICHAE2414
rank 24
Posted:
Wed Sep 01, 2004 7:03 pm
quote : #14
Hence, why I put "improved" and "IIRC" in my post, because I'm not exactly sure of what the progressive-scan feature of the 50001 model brings forth that the previous models didn't have or couldn't do. Anyway, I couldn't find any progressive-scan options in the BIOs of my model, which is 39001 after checking just now.

Actually, I think the "new" progressive scan feature applies to DVD movies, not games. Progressive scan in games have been around and functional in all the previous PS2 models.

Here's a quote from an IGN mail response (link) over progressive scan in PS2 games, which will hopefully sort this all out and possibly back up what I just assumed above:
Quote:
I have an SCPH-30001 v4 NTSC U/C ps2 and have recently bought a new 44inch HDTV. Now I am about to buy a new component lead for the ps2. I researched this stuff on the net and most of the sites say that for this I need an SCPH-50001 model.

They also say that this is for the DVD playback. I want this feature for my games not for my DVD's and was wondering whether my model supports this for games.

BTW: Can you mention a good pair of component cables.

KUdos to your great site.

-- Dag

Ivan Responds: Your model will play games in progressive scan. We have some of the absolute earliest PS2s in existence and they all play progressive scan capable titles in progressive scan. Remember, not all titles are progressive. In fact, only a select few are. So keep that in mind when shopping around.

It's confusing because older PlayStation 2s do not play movies in progressive scan, only newer ones do. But, this only applies to movies, not games.

As for component cables, unless you're planning on hooking the system up in a high interference area (a lot of fluorescent lights, power strips, and so forth), just about anything will do you fine. Personally, I prefer Monster Cables, just because I think they're pretty.
Posted:
Thu Sep 02, 2004 12:38 am
quote : #15
Yep, that's the way I understand it , too.

All PS2 models are the same, as far as GAMES and progressive scan goes. If a game supports progressive scan, then it will output it on any model PS2 (provided you have the TV and cables to handle it). The only difference is that the new PS2 models have progressive scan support for DVD movies, which the earlier models didn't.