Topic: Lack of an i-link

Page 1 of 2
zero
rank 3
Posted:
Sun Sep 12, 2004 5:33 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
So i guess i don't really know what the deal is anymore but i just moved into a new house with some of my college friends and was looking at the front of my buddys PS2 and he has a port that i don't have on mine. I don't have an i-link port. Does that mean i can't play games like Grand Turismo 3 or any of the Armored Core games with anyone eles. I have the network adaptor and love to play online but my roomate doesn't and it is cool just to set up 2 tv's and play side by side. So i guess the question is, does anyone know what the story is behind the lack of i-link port, and follow up question what is the "optical out" port on the back of mine and his ps2's.
Thanks for any light that you can shead on this question.
Zero
Posted:
Sun Sep 12, 2004 5:39 pm
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
Sony unfortunatly removed the i.link port from all the newer + model PS2's. It's a real shame because now a lot of gamers wishing to network i.link compatible games are stuck having to track down older beat up used systems. Since finding a brand new i.link compatible system. Is near impossible now.

You will need to track down an older model system that has the i.link port on the front if you wish to play all games with i.link compatibility. (Unreal Tournament is great over i.link)
rank 24
Posted:
Sun Sep 12, 2004 8:03 pm
quote : #3
Asto why Sony removed the iLink port from the newer models, it was to cut down on manufacturing costs. A very few (but a good few at that) amount of PS2 games supported the iLink, so Sony saw it fit to just downright remove it since almost no future games were going to make use of it. It really is a shame, and I hope that they happen to put it back if they happen to release a newer-newer model PS2 (past 50001) in the future.
Posted:
Sun Sep 12, 2004 8:52 pm
quote : #4
Yea I can kinda see from a broad standpoint how removing the i.link was a wise business decision in some respects. But it makes it brutally hard on gamers wanting to take advantage of the i.link. I think I might start shopping around the net and start email stores to see if any online shops have brand new i.link compatible PS2's instock. I know I really want a second i.link ps2 myself.

Then again now that I think about it, the i.link should have been left in the systems. Since HOW MANY gamers have had DRE problems with their PS2's. A crapload.
rank 39
Posted:
Mon Sep 13, 2004 8:08 am
quote : #5
do they think they removed i link because they thought it wasnt too popular.... I asked at EB before if they had i link cables and he said he never saw one before in his life... and that they are very rare....

I dont think they should of removed the i link port.. Luckily all of my friends have i link compatable ps2s. One of my friends got a new system back in Sept. 2003 and it has i link when did they stop putting the i link port in?
Posted:
Mon Sep 13, 2004 12:28 pm
quote : #6
I don't know when they stoped putting in the i-link port but if it helps narrow down the time line then i bought my PS2 this last Christmas as a kind of good job in collage reward. So sence it was around Christmas time i don't really think it was that old because im sure they move a lot of PS2's during the holiday season. Well now that i know that im pretty sad Sad I don't have the money to get an older version of the PS2 mabey i can just borrow my friends. I will say this though My newer version of the PS2 has a newer PSX driver and i can play Castelvania Symphony of the Night and he can't so i guess i didn't completly take it in the shorts. Does anyone know if the new Armored Core is going to be able to network with out the i-link cable. I really love the armored Core games and would be stoked if i could play it with others Mr. Green
Peace
Zero
Posted:
Mon Sep 13, 2004 1:10 pm
quote : #7
i read in the latest issue of OPM (or was it GMR, or EGM?) that the new Armored Core does in fact support i.link

however, the reviewer of the game didn't like it too much, and even implied that the fact that it does support i.link just goes to show how "outdated" the series is...

if i can find the exact quote, i'll post it

Posted Mon Sep 13, 2004 11:13 am:

that last post should say "does in fact support i.link *AND* LAN"

-at least, that was according to the reviewer in whatever magazine i read that in
Posted:
Mon Sep 13, 2004 3:01 pm
quote : #8
Does anyone know if many new games are scheduled to come out supporting iLink? I was contemplating buying a second, older PS2 and iLink cable for head-to-head action. If game publishers are going to drop the iLink like dead weight then I may rethink this.

Although I did buy a second Dreamcast and Vs Link Cable for this purpose even though it only supports a couple games. Rolling Eyes

Apple
rank 23
Posted:
Mon Sep 13, 2004 3:10 pm
quote : #9
Optical out is for Fiber Optic Digital Audio. If you have a surround sound system with an optical in, you mmight consider paying for this cord for better audio quality.

martianviking
rank 9
Posted:
Mon Sep 13, 2004 7:07 pm
quote : #10
Yeah, it's a shame, but Sony isn't the only company to do something like that.

The newer model GameCubes don't have the digital video out, so you can't use component (and therefore progressive scan) video with them. You need an older cube to do that.

The one bright side of the missing i-Link is that from now on, if a company wants to make a PS2 system link game, they will have to choose LAN compatibility rather than i-Link. (So hopefully they will be able to be tunnelled.)
lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Mon Sep 13, 2004 11:32 pm
quote : #11
martianviking wrote:
The one bright side of the missing i-Link is that from now on, if a company wants to make a PS2 system link game, they will have to choose LAN compatibility rather than i-Link. (So hopefully they will be able to be tunnelled.)

Very astute observation :]
rank 2
Posted:
Tue Sep 14, 2004 1:32 am
quote : #12
Here is the quote from the new Official U.S. PlayStation Magazine (issue 85, October 2004)

"Also, it's worth noting that multiplayer options support both LAN play and the iLink feature that doesn't even exist on the newest PlayStation 2 model. If that isn't a sign that you shouldn't bother, then I don't know what is."
-Giancarlo Varanini, pg.92
(gave Armored Core: Nexus 2 out of 5 stars)

It seems to me that the gaming journalists don't take to kindly to the iLink...or at least this one doesn't.
Posted:
Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:07 pm
quote : #13
I have this issue and subscribe to OPM, but I haven't had the chance to read the review yet.

I think Giancarlo was just trying to come up with another shallow reason for someone not to get the game...some of the reviews from this mag tend to sway that way at times (an insignificant feature or mistake blown out of proportion to say something negative about the game).
Posted:
Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:08 am
quote : #14
yeah he burns armored core nexus...... Im still goin to give this a shot and try to tunnel it,.
Posted:
Mon Sep 20, 2004 9:00 am
quote : #15
Player Zero wrote:
Here is the quote from the new Official U.S. PlayStation Magazine (issue 85, October 2004)

"Also, it's worth noting that multiplayer options support both LAN play and the iLink feature that doesn't even exist on the newest PlayStation 2 model. If that isn't a sign that you shouldn't bother, then I don't know what is."
-Giancarlo Varanini, pg.92
(gave Armored Core: Nexus 2 out of 5 stars)

It seems to me that the gaming journalists don't take to kindly to the iLink...or at least this one doesn't.

Wow. That magazine is full of the worst journalists ever created. Period. They are such flaming tools it's not even funny. Giancarlo Varanini is a retard. Why?

Every Armored Core game on the PS2 has been i.link compatible. AC diehards have i.link setups specifically for AC. It's what all hardcore AC gamers have relied on for decent competition during Armored Core's entire lifespan on the system. Giancarlo writes for a console that epitomizes 'backwards compatibility'. Hey einstein put 2 and 2 together here. AC:Nexus is i.link compatible because its backwards compatible with how AC players have been gaming since Armored Core 2 first hit the system in the year 2000. I.LINK has been the mainstay for over 4 years now.

It does not take a brain surgen to figure this out. This is what you call, HORRIBLE journalism. Never listen to what OPM has to say. They sound exactly like flamers on some message board.