Page Location: Home > Archive (News) > Topic
lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:16 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
There was a lot of buzz going around recently of a price slash. It seemed like a logical course of action, but even I was skeptical. The PS2 was a great value at $149.99, especially with the built in network support. Today on April 20th, on the cusp of E3, Sony drops the price of the PS2 by 20 dollars in North America, bringing it down to $129.99. This makes it the second cheapest home console on the market.

Now that the PS2 is selling at $129.99, this makes it an incredible deal for those looking to get into online gaming. With a majority of the online titles retailing for $19.99 or less, one could quickly compile an arsenal of the greatest PS2 online games and be set for gaming well into the next generation. The PS2 currently has over 150 titles online in North America. Metal Gear Solid 3 Subsistence is now on sale, Outrun 2006 goes on sale next week, and we have more online games coming out well into 2007.

Note: Users should be aware that the latest slim model pstwo (SCPH-75001) has compatiblity problems with certain games both offline and online. You should weigh this in before making your purchasing decision. Depending on your outlook buying an older refurbished model may be more benificial.

Last edited by lordnikon on Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
unknown
Posted:
Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:11 pm
quote : #2
The should of gone for the $99 deal considering its a 6 year old console...those are my two cents

polarstarz
rank 2
Posted:
Sat Apr 22, 2006 6:40 pm
quote : #3
I agree with Cervante. Though you do get DVD capability too, but even with the price drop it is not a good deal for the current model number slimline#75001 with it's compatibility issues of not being able to play it's own Playstation 2 games. Sony gives a list on it's website which includes early games and recent ones like Jak X is having problems on the current model #75001. So until they fix the problem I would definitely recommend holding off on buying one because it won't be a good deal until it is fixed.

Last edited by polarstarz on Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:50 am; edited 2 times in total

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:53 pm
quote : #4
Yea I agree 99.99 would have been a great deal, but that wouldn't happen right now. Sony has more plans for the Playstation 2, so its lifespan will be continuing for a while longer in the market place. They will eventually have a 99.99 price drop. Having a 50 dollar price drop would have been counter productive because they could have 2 price drops instead of just one. Which means more media exposure, and more consoles sold. I would be happy of course if they had dropped it to 99.99 but I know that wouldn't happen. They will most likely drop the price to 99.99 in 2007.

As for the incompatibility issues, I guess I am trying to be a little upbeat. In the past I have done quite a bit of bitching regarding Sony's decisions with each passing hardware change. (It drives me nuts that they pulled i.link a while back.)

For users who arn't into the Playstation 2 yet, at 129.99 it is still a great buy. My post above made a point to bring up how many PS2 Online titles are online. Sure the the system has some compatibility issues with certain online games. This is unfortunate, however in the end I feel there are enough titles available that are compatible that make it worth it.

I made a previous post concerning compatibility issues with various online games to inform users of this. That way people can make informed decisions when purchasing a console. If people feel the compatibility issues are a problem, there are plenty of models on the market that are compatibile with all PS2 Online games. In-fact I emplore users to buy older model PS2's with a complete network setup including I.LINK. This is the ultimate PS2 network setup IMHO.

Also I am a proponent of owning multiple consoles for system link. So if a user gets into the PS2 with the new slim model, and then wants to play some games that have compatibility issues, they could snag an older model to play those games and then have 2 consoles to do some LAN sessions. Plus, the slim model has its advantages in terms of portability. I plan to pick one up eventually just so I can take an internet ready PS2 and a few games with me. They are very portable.

I would hope sony would release another model after this fixing the compatibility issues, but every company these days is making "cuts". Nintendo for instance pulled the digital port from their later models when they slashed the prices on their console to $99.99. I do not think sony will be fixing these compatibility issues.
unknown
Posted:
Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:54 pm
quote : #5
wow I never knew it wasint compatible with certain older games, the HDD support isint a problem theirs 3rd party products for HDD support but I am not sure if it will work with games such as FFXI

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:00 pm
quote : #6
If you want to play Final Fantasy XI Online you will have to buy an official Playstation 2 Hard Drive, and use an older model Playstation 2 with a HD slot.

EDIT: I was just surfing a Jak X forum, and users there were complaining about the game locking up after saving the game. The user who started the topic was specifically referring to 2 friends who have newer PS2's. The trick is to load your save, pull out your memory card, and then save when you are finished playing. This bypasses the lockup.
rank 2
Posted:
Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:49 pm
quote : #7
Actually it is not a problem with only online games or older games as Ty the Tasmanian Tiger 3 and Jak X are newer games officially recognized by Sony that are also affected. In Sony's official list, so far, such games as Big Mutha Truckers, Big Mutha Truckers 2, and Ty the Tasmanian Tiger 3: Night of the Quickan are not online games and have issues with the current slimline model #75001 only, as reported by Sony. So offline as well as online games are affected. Also Sony notes that the list they have is a list of games that they "know of", meaning there are probably more games out there that have yet to be identified, offline and online. Now the list may contain games that most people don't care about but the point is that even if only one person enjoys the game it matters. This is especially true, as already stated, when Sony said that it is a list that they "know of" which means it could be a gamble on other games, paid with hard earned cash or already owned, yet to be identified that people might enjoy. So even with a price drop to $129.99 that is still a large hunk of change, hard earned, to put down for the current slimline model #75001 that has compatibility issues with it's own games with a possibility of others not yet reported.

I agree though in part, that the slimline is definitely the way to go for overall value, and therefore I agree that people just make sure to get an older one such as the slimline model numbers 70001, 70011, and 70012. I just can not recommend the current slimline #75001 even with the price drop the incompatibility issues make for a solid concern which warrents a bad deal with a concern that this issue could far extend to other games not yet reported. It is the principle of the matter that has me raising my concern and alert for other gamers.

Yes, Nintendo pulled out the digital port but I believe it was a year after the price drop because that is when I got my cube I believe or a little less than a year. But I don't fiind those things a concern as even Sony pulled two ports out of their original console, one being the serial which I liked. It's only when they make upgrades that I get concerned, which Sony has done to the PS2 which is why I will wait on the PS3 until they have the final version out. And, yes, I own all four. Yes, four, Dreamcast is not dead, love my Cube and PS2 slimline(I also have the older style model #5001which has everything the slimline has except online ports) and even the Xbox is not dead.

PS: I have re-read my post and hope it doesn't sound like I am being rude or anything as that is not my intention. So please forgive me if it comes across that way. My apologies. I love the way everyone is so polite and helpful on here and I want nothing more than to carry on that same atmosphere with sincere intentions.

Last edited by polarstarz on Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:58 am; edited 5 times in total

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:13 pm
quote : #8
polarstarz wrote:
Actually it is not a problem with only online games or older games as Ty the Tasmanian Tiger 3 and Jak X are newer games that are also affected. In Sony's official list, so far, such games as Big Mutha Truckers, Big Mutha Truckers 2, and Ty the Tasmanian Tiger 3: Night of the Quickan are not online games and have issues with the current slimline model #75001 only, as reported by Sony. So offline as well as online games are affected. Also Sony notes that the list they have is a list of games that they "know of", meaning there are probably more games out there that have yet to be identified, offline and online. Now the list may contain games that most people don't care about but the point is that even if only one person enjoys the game it matters. This is especially true, as already stated, when Sony said that it is a list that they "know of" which means it could be a gamble on other games, paid with hard earned cash or already owned, yet to be identified that people might enjoy. So even with a price drop to $129.99 that is still a large hunk of change, hard earned, to put down for the current slimline model #75001 that has compatibility issues with it's own games with a possibility of others not yet reported. It just shouldn't be and I hope as well that Sony fixes it soon as they should.

I am aware there are non-online games that also have compatibility issues. However since this is an online game website I try to keep all information that is posted in the news section to be online related. A thread concerning all compatibility issues could be posted in the Playstation 2 Lounge of course. I am by no means trying to ignore the fact that offline games are affected as well. If you or anyone else would like to start up discussions there regarding offline games that have problems with the latest model, you are more than welcome to.

If I get some more money, and am able to buy a new model, I will test all of my games both online and offline to see if they have any problems. I would love to spearhead a project to find out every game that has compatibility issues. However as you can see from the Online Game List, I have spent a rediculious amount of man hours already tracking features and cross region support for every online game in every region across the world. So on the compatibility issues tip, "I think I'll sit this one out coach".

I think I will make a topic to discuss this over in the Playstation 2 Lounge so users could contribute any information they find or know about compatibility issues.

polarstarz wrote:
I agree though in part, that the slimline is definitely the way to go for overall value, and therefore I agree that people just make sure to get an older one such as the slimline model numbers 70001, 70011, and 70012. I just can not recommend the current slimline #75001 even with the price drop the incompatibility issues make for a solid concern which warrents a bad deal with a concern that this issue could far extend to other games not yet reported. It is the principle of the matter that has me raising my concern and alert for other gamers.

It is a real problem when Sony changes hardware and games start to not work. At the moment my outlook is, it is better to pay 129.99 for a partially compatible console, than 149.99. I will edit out the last few lines of my first post and add a disclaimer letting users know that the latest model has compatibility issues and that they should be aware of them before making their purchase decision.

In the end I feel that because there is so much Playstation 2 hardware out there, that we should have no problem getting 100% compatible consoles into the hands of users that want them.

Also when the Playstation 3 gets released, people everywhere will be trading in or selling their Playstation 2's to get the PS3. This will be a huge benifit to us. Prices on used models will plummet and we will have an ample supply of consoles to constantly promote Playstation 2 Online.

At this point I am not too irritated by Sony's "cuts and slashes" regarding their products. At the moment the Playstation 2 has millions of consoles out on the market, with over 30 LAN compatible games in North America. These games are all online forever. I come from the realm of the Dreamcast where most of our titles were taken offline. So at the moment I feel that we have enough gear and software available to support a community in the long term without worrying. This is a reason I am being sort of non-chalant about the compatibility issues with the latest PS2.

This is not to say that I want gamers to get shafted when buying a new slim model. I was merely trying to be a bit more optimistic regarding the new price cuts. Users should definatly be aware of the compatibility issues and take them into account before making a decision which Playstation 2 model to buy.

polarstarz wrote:
Yes, Nintendo pulled out the digital port but I believe it was a year after the price drop because that is when I got my cube I believe or a little less than a year. But I don't fiind those things a concern as even Sony pulled two ports out of their original console, one being the serial which I liked. It's only when they make upgrades that I get concerned, which Sony has done to the PS2 which is why I will wait on the PS3 until they have the final version out. And, yes, I own all four. Yes, four, Dreamcast is not dead, love my Cube and PS2 slimline(I also have the older style model #5001 which has everything the slimline has except online ports) and even the Xbox is not dead.

Hehehe saying "all 4" and "dreamcast is not dead" is like preaching to the choir in many respects. OnlineConsoles is the primary Dreamcast Online community on the net and there is a lot of carry over from the Dreamcast area to the GameCube and Playstation 2 sites. Most people here know the Dreamcasts role in this generation.

I myself own 5 Dreamcasts, and my DC collection is about to break 100 titles. Cool

polarstarz wrote:
PS: I have re-read my post and hope it doesn't sound like I am being rude or anything as that is not my intention. So please forgive me if it comes across that way. My apologies. I love the way everyone is so polite and helpful on here and I want nothing more than to carry on that same atmosphere with sincere intentions.

Your post was not rude. Debating issues and confronting other users regarding certain subject matter is always welcome. As long as users are civil.

Yea, the great thing about OnlineConsoles is the relaxed atmosphere. It is great to discuss things in a topic without flaming and idiots running around. The cool thing is that this translates over to the online game experience as well.
unknown
Posted:
Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:40 am
quote : #9
lordnikon wrote:
Also when the Playstation 3 gets released, people everywhere will be trading in or selling their Playstation 2's to get the PS3. This will be a huge benifit to us. Prices on used models will plummet and we will have an ample supply of consoles to constantly promote Playstation 2 Online.

Yep ever since the price cuts the older models (used & refurbished) have gone down to $109 , same mere price for a used nintendo DS...

polarstarz
rank 2
Posted:
Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:29 pm
quote : #10
I didn't mean to start a new thread but I am glad you did as probably there is not enough people who know about the compatibility issues because of Sony's hardware changes to prevent mod chips and lower production costs. I just mentioned the compatibility issue to justify or backup my statement as to why the current, and only the current, Playstation 2 slimline model number #75001 was not a good buy even at a $20 price drop, which I hope helped keep everything on the topic of this thread. If not and I came across any other way I apologize.( Remember even if just one person is effected it matters.)

"Sit this one out coach".......Please by no means sit on the sidelines, lordnikon, any experience you have needs to be shared to help other people. That is one reason why I like this site so far is because of people willing to help each other.

I myself have knowledge and experience in gaming that dates to the Atari 2600 (Yes, I know I am dating myself here) and am willing to help whenever I can. I haven't fully commited to this site yet as I am still checking it out and as there are others worth checking out but when I am ready to commit to a few of them I will post my stats so people will get a better idea and know who I am, my experience and knowledge, and where I come from overall.

So until then.........Happy Gaming Everyone!!!!

Last edited by polarstarz on Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:15 am; edited 4 times in total

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:41 pm
quote : #11
polarstarz wrote:
"Sit this one out coach".......Please by no means sit on the sidelines, lordnikon, any experience you have needs to be shared to help other people. That is one reason why I love this site so far is because of the quality of people and the willingness to help each other. There is a very nice atmosphere here as I have made note of before.

I will eventually be able to look into this, but not for a while. I run this site all by myself, and everything you see here is coded and designed by me. OnlineConsoles has been a huge undertaking and I have spent an insane amount of man hours on Dreamcast Online research and restoration. I have been at this since 2003, and have been pretty much working full time sculpting this website and rebuilding Dreamcast online as best I can, while also working on GC and PS2 online. So that is 3 years. I have enough information that I plan to write a book.

OnlineConsoles.com is exactly where I want it to be in terms of it's site features. Also I have wrapped up most of my in-progress research I was doing and have backed up all of my data.

I'm not saying my days of console research are over, all I am saying is, I really need to get my personal life in order. So I will be posting, playing online games, and working on getting steady revenue coming in. Then after my personal life is back on track I will be able to start slotting hours towards more research.

I hope you can understand. I really need health insurance... badly.
rank 2
Posted:
Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:25 am
quote : #12
To lordnikon:

I understand.

This site has people who are willing to help.

PS: I am a Christian and if you don't mind me saying,.....I will definitely pray for you that you have peace and anything else that you may need in both your personal life and for this site. I hope I didn't offend you in any way by saying that.

Last edited by polarstarz on Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:45 am; edited 2 times in total

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:23 am
quote : #13
Yea trust me I have gotten my rewards from running this site. I do get plenty of people thanking me for providing this community and all of its functions and information. More than anything I am just happy to have it all available myself. A big reason why I built all of this and spent so much time doing the research was that I wanted to use all of this just like the average video game enthusiast. I want to be able to sit down and look at what games support LAN for the Playstation 2, and which games are still online for the Dreamcast...etc etc etc. The problem was this information wasn't available anywhere else. Sony sure wasn't providing information about their online compatible games, so took the time to do it myself. It was a lot more than I bargained for, and was sort of like quick sand. I just kept sinking in deeper and deeper. With each passing day I felt I was getting over the hump, but I would soon stumble upon tons of more information that had to be verified and sorted.

In the end I am just happy where things are at, and am excited to have this community available for my own use. It is kind of like building a car from scratch, and now I get to actually drive it around (I'm not necessarily into cars, it was just a good analogy that sprung to mind.)

No offense taken on the christian reference, and I welcome the warm sentiments. Thank you.

---

Back onto the whole Playstation 2 new model problems. I have decided to create 1 topic in the General Online forum for online game related issues, and use the topic in the Playstation 2 Lounge for offline game issues. So post at each one respectivly depending on whether the game is network compatible or not.