Page Location: Home > Archive > Monster Hunter (Archive) > Topic
lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:30 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
Me and Treey were online last night playing Monster Hunter, and we decided to try out the Crystal Quest where you have to carry 3 Soothstone Ores back to base. At first I just picked it because I wanted to show him the swamp. After a while we decided to actually try and run the stones across the map. I quickly find out that the enemies will keep on respawning no matter what.

I decided to try and run a soothstone back. I haul ass to one spot, but Gypceros is there. He was stalking us the ENTIRE time. It was insane. So I turn around and take around route, heading north through the fields.

I manage to bob and weave all by myself through an area of bugs and then an area of velociprey. I make my way over to area 2 and then to base. I couldn't believe I made it!!!

So now, my brother starts running, and I decided to run over and play distraction / guard to help him get the soothstone across. This was total teamwork here. He carried the second stone across while I took out enemies with my Vile Serpent Blade, and tried to draw the monsters away from Treey. He arrives successfully at base and we now have 2 stones delivered.

On the third try, unfortunatly, Gypceros is in area 2!!!!! Right near our base. He spots us immediatly and rams us before we even have a chance to take one step after spawning into the area. We were both pretty frustrated at this point.

We try a few more times but get bombarded with velociprey.

Ok now for the final run, we make it to area 2 again, he has the ore and I am playing defense. Guess who is there?! Yep, Gypceros is waiting for us yet again. I waste no time and charge like a mad man striking him with my Vile Serpent Blade. My slice bounces off, and I roll under him. Meanwhile Treey is running as fast as he can wildly to the home base along the back wall. Gypceros charges! He just misses Treey and slams into the wall.

I was able to delay Gypceros just enough to have him miss Treey. Otherwise he would have slammed right into him. Also if Treey wasn't running fullspeed he would have gotten hit and the stone lost. So it would perfect timing on both our parts.

We completed the quest, and what did I find awaiting me in the 'Take Materials' section? A Light Crystal!!!! I needed one to turn my Vile Serpent Balde into a Great Serpent Blade. Now I have this and it is great indeed! It is super sharp, lots of green, and chops down Cephalos with ease!

Now that I have completed all of the HR1-4 Quests, I have an Urgent Quest waiting for me. To beat Gypceros Embarassed I am going to need some help on this one.

Last edited by lordnikon on Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:42 am; edited 1 time in total
rank 12
Posted:
Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:55 pm
quote : #2
Hit me up on Jabber and I'll help you out. Gyp is fairly fun to fight. If I remember correctly, you have to nail him in the tail as opposed to the head. It's his weak spot.
Posted:
Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:18 pm
quote : #3
Aw yeah. Guess who finally found the fabled 'Lightcrystal' and upgraded to the Great Serpentblade as well? Smile

nikon, that crazy idea of mine worked. I sat there and mined for 5 minutes straight in the Sootstone Ore quest, but I got a Lightcrystal. It wasn't hard at all to solo that quest once I took some Mega Juice (no stamina penalty A.K.A. 'roids) and booked it across the route we took last time.

-Mytho

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:42 pm
quote : #4
Ah man that is awesome! Nice job on the mega juice :] How did you manage to mine for 5 minutes without breaking axes? Mega Pickaxe's?

Did you try the blade in Desert zone yet? It takes down Cephalos like nobody's business!
rank 38
Posted:
Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:10 pm
quote : #5
lordnikon wrote:
How did you manage to mine for 5 minutes without breaking axes? Mega Pickaxe's?

I had a full supply of pickaxes (5 Old, 5 Iron and yep, 5 Mega) plus a steadfast determination. I think I jumped right out of my chair when I saw 'Lightcrystal obtained' flash across the screen.

lordnikon wrote:
Did you try the blade in Desert zone yet? It takes down Cephalos like nobody's business!

Oh man, heh, the blade slices and dices Cephalos. I was able to make two new pieces of armor after completing the Liver of Legend quest. Very Happy

-Mytho

Lunar Eclipse
rank 7
Posted:
Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:34 am
quote : #6
Nice, I'm glad that you got the Lightcrystal. I thought that the Lightcrystal showed very frequently during the Sootstone Ore quest, but I guess that it's harder than I remember. I think that killing Gypceros is the the best way to get the Lighcrystal early, but mining works as well. If you manage to break Gypceros' flashing light thing that stuns you during battle by repeatedly beating him in the head, your chances of receiving a Light Crystal from the rewards dramatically increases. So if you ever need any more, that might be the way to go. I need to get back working on this game. Especially now that most of you guys have got some pretty decent weapons and armors. It'll be so much better now that we'll be able to go on some more advanced quests.