Page Location: Home > Playstation 2 Lounge > Topic
Einhander
rank 11
Posted:
Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:47 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
Silent Hill: Shattered Memories was originally announced for the Wii, but it turns out there will be a PS2 and PSP version released as well.

Supposedly a "re-imagining" of the original game, it will be developed by Climax, who handled Silent Hill Origins. The soundtrack is being redone by Akira Yamaoka, so it should retain that creepy Silent Hill atmosphere.

Apparently the game will make extensive use of Harry's phone, since you'll be using it's built in GPS as a replacement for the maps used in the original game, and you'll be able to take pictures using it as well.

Another addition is a "psych profile", which is supposed to alter the game (from visuals to character interaction is what I read) based on your actions.

So, since the original game is long out of print, and has been pretty much impossible to find after the movie was released, this is pretty awesome news for anyone who has yet to play the original (you've missed out on an incredible game), and pretty awesome news for anyone who has (a remake of an awesome game should hopefully be awesome).

Origins was a little too combat heavy for my taste (I'm used to running through half of a Silent Hill game with a knife, a handgun I can barely use, and a plank of wood or a metal bar, but in Origins you pick up quite a bit of firepower, including an AK-47, and the game hands out ammo like candy), but it was still fundamentally solid. And hey, more Silent Hill is never a bad thing.

Assuming this is a solid remake and not a quick cash-in, they can pretty much count on my money on day 1.

Gforce
rank 27
Posted:
Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:41 pm
quote : #2
Awesommee. I loved SIlent Hill 2 and I hate how overpriced the OG copy is. Can't wait to try it.
Posted:
Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:23 pm
quote : #3
Einhander, how did Silent Hill: Origins perform on the PS2? I'm curious since I have been meaning to track down the Silent Hill titles down and want to know what to expect from Shattered Memories.

Einhander
rank 11
Posted:
Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:26 am
quote : #4
Origins was a solid game, the controls were good, load times weren't an issue, and the graphics were on par with a late stage PS2 game (and were able to convey the foggy dread that is so vital in a Silent Hill game, and the lighting effects from the flashlight are pretty solid as well). There is also the standard "beat the game and you can turn off the film grain effect" option as well. Camera control was fairly limited, either on account of creating tension or from the original system that Origins was ported from only having one analog stick. It also supports widescreen, although I don't know if it is cropped or not.

I thought it was a little too combat heavy, and a little too easy, but it's still a good game to get. It does fill in some holes in the Silent Hill backstory, even though it sort of modifies it a little bit. There are a bunch of unlockables as well (different outfits and weapons, as well as multiple endings, all based on your performance in game, as well as a few other factors), so it's worth playing through it a few times to snag them.

Kannibal
rank 13
Posted:
Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:41 pm
quote : #5
is the music composer Akira Yamaoka the same as the one from the Bemani games?

I'll pretty much check this series out again...seeing as I didn't find the game as appealing as I thought it would be a long time ago!