rank 59
Posted:
Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:02 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
A MotorStorm game is coming to the PS2:

http://www.the-magicbox.com/0902/game090224a.shtml

It is being developed by "BigBig Studios".

So lets start the guessing early... who thinks this game has even the slightest chance of running at 45fps or higher?
rank 38
Posted:
Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:28 am
quote : #2
I haven't seen footage of BigBig's Pursuit Force on PS2, but I anticipate that the game will run at 30fps. A Western company is not going to put forth effort for a 2009 PS2 release. Crying or Very sad

lazybum
rank 24
Posted:
Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:47 pm
quote : #3
It is still cool that ps2 is getting new games at least haha.
Posted:
Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:49 pm
quote : #4
TheMytho wrote:
I haven't seen footage of BigBig's Pursuit Force on PS2, but I anticipate that the game will run at 30fps. A Western company is not going to put forth effort for a 2009 PS2 release. Crying or Very sad

I don't think it is as much about a company not wanting to put forth effort, it is changing their perspective on development standards. The problem is Western developers always sacrifice framerate for more graphical detail. I just wonder if this developer is able to restrain themselves and actually work on optimizing the game rather than some team leader saying "lets double the polygons on all of this, and just lock it at 30fps".

I would love to check out a chaotic offroad racing game like this on the PS2, but if they can't manage to get the game running at a fast framerate (preferably 60fps), then they won't be seeing a dime of my money. We already have ATV Offroad Fury 4 for some offroad goodness which runs at 60fps. So I can't put my cash towards games that are grossly inferior to what I already own.

I am still going to keep an eye on this game to see what the end result is. Should be interesting.

lazybum wrote:
It is still cool that ps2 is getting new games at least haha.

Actually I disagree. A system getting new games only serves to stroke a part of a persons psyche that makes their interests seem relevant on the world stage. Meaning, "It feels good knowing the PS2 is still out there in the public eye". However, I am not so superficial that I will swallow crappy games just to get this feeling. I could care less really. For me it is either good games, or no games. That is how I would prefer it in an ideal world.

Games such as "Jeep Thrills" Rolling Eyes, this stuff should be lit on fire.
rank 24
Posted:
Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:02 pm
quote : #5
Lmao at jeep thrills. I like my pysche to be stroked I guess then, lol. I mean that I just like the idea that the ps2 is still alive after so many years. Doesn't mean I plan to buy any of these crap games. But, if the crap games sell decent a good ps2 game might still be made.
Posted:
Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:11 pm
quote : #6
So much gloom and doom in this thread. Who knows, maybe it'll be good?

I doubt we'll see any online play with the PS2 version, though. Cross your fingers and hope for LAN I guess. Confused

I wonder how it will play? If they could pull off a snow deformation thing (like the new Sega Rally does with dirt and mud), that would be pretty cool. I'm kinda worried about the draw distance though. Hopefully we won't get a heavy white fog five feet from the outside of the track.

It is healthy to be skeptical of a 2009 PS2 release. Hopefully the mindset at the development studio will be "there are still a ton of PS2 owners with wallets, let's make a good game that they will want to buy" and not "there aren't many new PS2 racing games being developed, we can just take it easy and crap out a lame game because, hey, what else are PS2 owners going to buy?"

lordnikon
rank 59
Posted:
Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:21 pm
quote : #7
Yea Einhander draw distance is a huge concern. That is always a leading cause of framerate these days. Its in the arctic, so maybe they can use a constant blizzard to drown out background elements and improve the framerate Mr. Green
rank 6
Posted:
Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:40 am
quote : #8
A bit surprising to see this game pop up on the PS2, but it's a welcome surprise. Razz
Posted:
Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:59 am
quote : #9
I sure do hope it has at least 4 player split screen if they aren't going to put in any online at all...I really need a lot more split screen games these days since I have ppl coming over a lot!

I'm pretty sure picky people will find something to complain about...really!

I thought this series was supposed to be an exclusive...now what?

I just hope this spin off won't hurt the series a bit!
thas all I'm concerned about putting aside the gameplay and the attention of detail
Posted:
Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:04 am
quote : #10
I purchased a new copy of this game at Goodwill for $5 and had a fun time playing it, though it does have issues.

The most notable issue is the fact that Virtous did not convert the 3D models in the menu to account for 4:3 output on the PS2. The port team left these elements untouched from the PSP, so riders and vehicles look a little deformed when viewing them in the menu. The gameplay and HUD, however, are optimized for 4:3 displays.

Also, the game has some minor slowdown when many vehicles are grouped together, or when the snow particles and lighting are particularly intense. These don't make the game unplayable, but are seen as laziness by the porting team. The game runs at a standard 30fps for the rest of the time otherwise.

The draw distance for this game is absolutely fine. I had no trouble at all seeing where to go during races.

After playing this game for about two hours, the real draw of it is racing on large, branching tracks with a variety of vehicles, from snowmobiles all the way to a giant snow plow/bulldozer vehicle. I would start laughing like a madman when plowing snowmobiles over in my snow plow, or smashing buggies off the various cliffs in the game. I don't regret my purchase, as I find the game to have its own appeal, but I wish the porting team had put some more effort in converting this title to the PS2.